U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-14-2012, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 70,038,371 times
Reputation: 27523

Advertisements

It's up to us to stop this now. Governments (local/state/federal) are just turning a blind eye to this which is the stealth amnesty that is going on.

There's too many using illegals for work, especially in the contracting area.

But as long as customers go for the "cheap" not much will get done to fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-14-2012, 09:26 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,166,436 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's up to us to stop this now. Governments (local/state/federal) are just turning a blind eye to this which is the stealth amnesty that is going on.

There's too many using illegals for work, especially in the contracting area.

But as long as customers go for the "cheap" not much will get done to fix it.
Actually, if e-verify were mandated it would stop most employers from hiring illegal aliens in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 70,038,371 times
Reputation: 27523
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Actually, if e-verify were mandated it would stop most employers from hiring illegal aliens in the first place.
Yes, we have it and Congress refuses to mandate it.
That should speak volumes on the government's stand on hiring illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 07:47 PM
 
Location: North Texas
23,627 posts, read 31,265,068 times
Reputation: 26702
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My DH and I own and operate a small home improvement contracting business. He has been in the trade since HS and has been doing this for over 35 years. 21 years ago we established our business.

Right from the start we have done everything above the boards -- registration with the federal government for a TIN, with the state for sales tax and UI, etc., with local county and towns for licensing. Add to that registering with the EPA for lead certification. Adding insult to injury, our local county collects a couple of hundred dollars above the licensing fee which goes into a fund -- this is the kicker -- the fund reimburses homeowners (up to a certain amount) for improper/faulty work done by unlicensed contractors!

We spent tens of thousands of dollars each year to maintain commercial liability, workers comp, commercial auto, non vehicular equipment, unemployment and disability insurance. We maintain an office with land line phone (no fly-by-night), workshop and garage. Our employees are e-verified, background checked, uniformed and professional in appearance -- as well as being highly qualified and able to speak and comprehend English.

There are many other small business people like us who are finding themselves in the same situation: We are being undercut by business which are operating under-the-wire, paying day laborers cash -- and this isn't just illegals from south of the border (although they make up a greater percentage in this area) but illegals from Poland and other eastern European countries.

Last week, I happened to drive by a long time client's home and noticed an unmarked van in her driveway along with a bunch of Hispanic men cutting on a table saw and ferrying the cut lumber into his house. I emailed him, asking if she had been happy with us in the past, and if so, why he didn't give us a chance to provide a quote on the job. He emailed back we were too expensive. Yes, when compared to a company had no county license sticker, a van with out of state plates and a group of men who appeared to be illegals.

My insurance companies would drop me in a flash if I was paying men under the table, if I had unlicensed men operating my vehicles, etc. They won't cut me any deals if I explain that my projected sales in 2012 are off by 60%. The politicians I have contacted are of little help. My commercial landlord isn't willing to accept a little less in rent to help out.

I refuse to break the law, or add those who are coming here illegally by hiring them off the books. I am at my wits end. We've taken a reduction in my husband's salary (I am unpaid), reduced our overhead markup -- we are now losing money where we once broke even. I don't know what we are going to do when we are forced to provide health insurance or get fined.

Whose American dream is this?
This is exactly why I refuse to hire illegals to do anything on my property, and I demand that subcontractors also not use them. Basically I tell them "Send an illegal to my house and you're fired."

I had my contractor here today making some adjustments to a recently-installed gate. He's from Michigan, as American as apple pie. He's even a veteran. His rates are certainly higher than what you'd pay an illegal day laborer, but on the other hand he always returns phone calls, has no trouble speaking/understanding English, carries insurance, is reliable, does excellent work, guarantees and warranties all of his work, etc.

Illegal day laborer? None of that.

I'm only sorry more people don't think like me. They'd rather save a buck. It will bite them in the butt in the end but in the meantime, good honest Americans are suffering.

This has to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
443 posts, read 745,802 times
Reputation: 323
This is truly heartbreaking and goes to show why if possible I'd MUCH rather buy American, be it made / produced within my state / community or in another state or territory, even if it meant paying more .

I hope things work out for you - maybe getting media attention could help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2012, 08:50 AM
 
8,649 posts, read 14,901,311 times
Reputation: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My DH and I own and operate a small home improvement contracting business. He has been in the trade since HS and has been doing this for over 35 years. 21 years ago we established our business.

Right from the start we have done everything above the boards -- registration with the federal government for a TIN, with the state for sales tax and UI, etc., with local county and towns for licensing. Add to that registering with the EPA for lead certification. Adding insult to injury, our local county collects a couple of hundred dollars above the licensing fee which goes into a fund -- this is the kicker -- the fund reimburses homeowners (up to a certain amount) for improper/faulty work done by unlicensed contractors!

We spent tens of thousands of dollars each year to maintain commercial liability, workers comp, commercial auto, non vehicular equipment, unemployment and disability insurance. We maintain an office with land line phone (no fly-by-night), workshop and garage. Our employees are e-verified, background checked, uniformed and professional in appearance -- as well as being highly qualified and able to speak and comprehend English.

There are many other small business people like us who are finding themselves in the same situation: We are being undercut by business which are operating under-the-wire, paying day laborers cash -- and this isn't just illegals from south of the border (although they make up a greater percentage in this area) but illegals from Poland and other eastern European countries.

Last week, I happened to drive by a long time client's home and noticed an unmarked van in her driveway along with a bunch of Hispanic men cutting on a table saw and ferrying the cut lumber into his house. I emailed him, asking if she had been happy with us in the past, and if so, why he didn't give us a chance to provide a quote on the job. He emailed back we were too expensive. Yes, when compared to a company had no county license sticker, a van with out of state plates and a group of men who appeared to be illegals.

My insurance companies would drop me in a flash if I was paying men under the table, if I had unlicensed men operating my vehicles, etc. They won't cut me any deals if I explain that my projected sales in 2012 are off by 60%. The politicians I have contacted are of little help. My commercial landlord isn't willing to accept a little less in rent to help out.

I refuse to break the law, or add those who are coming here illegally by hiring them off the books. I am at my wits end. We've taken a reduction in my husband's salary (I am unpaid), reduced our overhead markup -- we are now losing money where we once broke even. I don't know what we are going to do when we are forced to provide health insurance or get fined.

Whose American dream is this?
I do not support illegals but I think you have more of a local government problem than an illegal problem!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2012, 09:26 AM
 
Location: US
3,082 posts, read 3,344,561 times
Reputation: 1629
We are in Florida and we have the same problem. What most homeowners don't realize, at least here, is that if someone is injured on their property, and they're not covered by workers' compensation or have a valid exemption, the homeowner can be sued for their injuries.

A few years ago, when we still provided services to apartment communities, we were asked by one by of our long-term customers, a property management company, to drop our prices on two of the services we provide. In their defense the owner of the property was seeking the drop in price, and the owner actually told the management company to use uninsured contractors who hired illegals because it was "worth the risk." The owner gave the uninsured contractor a two bedroom apartment in which 6 workers live. That lasted about eight months. The fickle owner fired the property management company for the poor work being provided by the uninsured contractor, brought in another property management company, who would never use uninsured contractors or illegals. The uninsured contractor was asked to get appropriate insurance, use legal help, but they refused.

One of our competitors, with whom we are friends, decided to hire illegals. One guy who spoke English ran the crew. Our competitor would give him the cash to give to all the workers for their wages. On the third week, the guy who ran the crew ran off with the money. The remainder of the crew confronted our competitor, and he had to pay out the money again if he didn't want his equipment destroyed or stolen.

What we are finding in commercial work is that our customers want a consistent, quality product, and someone who will do what they say they will do. You just can't get that running a different crew every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 07:42 PM
 
2 posts, read 1,238 times
Reputation: 11
We had our chimney cleaned this week, cost $140.00. We are having a stainless steel chimney cap measuring 24" x 71" x 10" installed at a cost of $795.00. No illegals, we used a local guy. Don't know if I got a deal or overpaid but he lives near me and has for more than 20 years. I could not have trusted foreigners and I hate what is happening to OUR people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Lewes, Delaware
3,464 posts, read 3,017,450 times
Reputation: 1870
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My DH and I own and operate a small home improvement contracting business. He has been in the trade since HS and has been doing this for over 35 years. 21 years ago we established our business.

Right from the start we have done everything above the boards -- registration with the federal government for a TIN, with the state for sales tax and UI, etc., with local county and towns for licensing. Add to that registering with the EPA for lead certification. Adding insult to injury, our local county collects a couple of hundred dollars above the licensing fee which goes into a fund -- this is the kicker -- the fund reimburses homeowners (up to a certain amount) for improper/faulty work done by unlicensed contractors!

We spent tens of thousands of dollars each year to maintain commercial liability, workers comp, commercial auto, non vehicular equipment, unemployment and disability insurance. We maintain an office with land line phone (no fly-by-night), workshop and garage. Our employees are e-verified, background checked, uniformed and professional in appearance -- as well as being highly qualified and able to speak and comprehend English.

There are many other small business people like us who are finding themselves in the same situation: We are being undercut by business which are operating under-the-wire, paying day laborers cash -- and this isn't just illegals from south of the border (although they make up a greater percentage in this area) but illegals from Poland and other eastern European countries.

Last week, I happened to drive by a long time client's home and noticed an unmarked van in her driveway along with a bunch of Hispanic men cutting on a table saw and ferrying the cut lumber into his house. I emailed him, asking if she had been happy with us in the past, and if so, why he didn't give us a chance to provide a quote on the job. He emailed back we were too expensive. Yes, when compared to a company had no county license sticker, a van with out of state plates and a group of men who appeared to be illegals.

My insurance companies would drop me in a flash if I was paying men under the table, if I had unlicensed men operating my vehicles, etc. They won't cut me any deals if I explain that my projected sales in 2012 are off by 60%. The politicians I have contacted are of little help. My commercial landlord isn't willing to accept a little less in rent to help out.

I refuse to break the law, or add those who are coming here illegally by hiring them off the books. I am at my wits end. We've taken a reduction in my husband's salary (I am unpaid), reduced our overhead markup -- we are now losing money where we once broke even. I don't know what we are going to do when we are forced to provide health insurance or get fined.

Whose American dream is this?

I feel your pain, although I don't have as much invested as you guys but as a plumber/pipefitter it has affected alot of trades in a bad way. The refinery I work at in PA is closing but there are some jobs in Texas, in the refining business. My concern is what if I get laid off down there, because plumbing especially new work, has gone to the hispanic and or the illegal population. Service based work is still going to tradesmen who can speak the english language properly, well somewhat anyway, lol.

Most all new residential construction has gone to the Mexican worforce up here, and its really cut out alot of jobs for qualified people, not to say that all hispanics and or even the Amish can't do good work its just that people who don't want to live with eight or ten other family members can't compete with super low wages and we never will.

For the people who believe that anyone can do these jobs, yes anyone can to a point, I can be a CEO to a point, albeit a bad one. The trades are getting tougher to find decent paying jobs anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,834,008 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My DH and I own and operate a small home improvement contracting business. He has been in the trade since HS and has been doing this for over 35 years. 21 years ago we established our business.

Right from the start we have done everything above the boards -- registration with the federal government for a TIN, with the state for sales tax and UI, etc., with local county and towns for licensing. Add to that registering with the EPA for lead certification. Adding insult to injury, our local county collects a couple of hundred dollars above the licensing fee which goes into a fund -- this is the kicker -- the fund reimburses homeowners (up to a certain amount) for improper/faulty work done by unlicensed contractors!

We spent tens of thousands of dollars each year to maintain commercial liability, workers comp, commercial auto, non vehicular equipment, unemployment and disability insurance. We maintain an office with land line phone (no fly-by-night), workshop and garage. Our employees are e-verified, background checked, uniformed and professional in appearance -- as well as being highly qualified and able to speak and comprehend English.

There are many other small business people like us who are finding themselves in the same situation: We are being undercut by business which are operating under-the-wire, paying day laborers cash -- and this isn't just illegals from south of the border (although they make up a greater percentage in this area) but illegals from Poland and other eastern European countries.

Last week, I happened to drive by a long time client's home and noticed an unmarked van in her driveway along with a bunch of Hispanic men cutting on a table saw and ferrying the cut lumber into his house. I emailed him, asking if she had been happy with us in the past, and if so, why he didn't give us a chance to provide a quote on the job. He emailed back we were too expensive. Yes, when compared to a company had no county license sticker, a van with out of state plates and a group of men who appeared to be illegals.

My insurance companies would drop me in a flash if I was paying men under the table, if I had unlicensed men operating my vehicles, etc. They won't cut me any deals if I explain that my projected sales in 2012 are off by 60%. The politicians I have contacted are of little help. My commercial landlord isn't willing to accept a little less in rent to help out.

I refuse to break the law, or add those who are coming here illegally by hiring them off the books. I am at my wits end. We've taken a reduction in my husband's salary (I am unpaid), reduced our overhead markup -- we are now losing money where we once broke even. I don't know what we are going to do when we are forced to provide health insurance or get fined.

Whose American dream is this?
This is beyond sickening, and a prime example of how illegal immigration is destroying our country. When decent, law-abiding citizens are unable to operate a legitimate business because they cannot compete against the crooks employing illegal workers, something is very wrong. Don't give up, and keep fighting this battle. Otherwise, if we allow illegals and their greedy, criminal employers to win, we will all lose. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top