U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 12:50 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
See, that's typical. I actually would love for people to work with Unions to protect the American worker. I would ACTUALLY go to great lengths to do so by buying as much as I could from companies that haven't been accused of using illegal labor in the past. Buying local, buying American which is difficult at times. I pay more for my food to do it. I would at least try to put my money where my mouth is even though it proves difficult at times.

I really DON'T want illegal workers here, we suffer for it and so I'm dedicated. I lost my company because I wouldn't hire them. I send letters, buy as much from companies I know don't hire illegal work, before I bought my new home I investigated several construction companies. I don't just spread useless complaints but actual ways to help. I would think everyone opposed to illegals taking over American jobs would be happy to participate, am I wrong?

I guess if you lost your lively hood you'd be more active? It seems if I really do care and actually try and do something about it I have secret motives huh?
So tell me, what makes a perfect activist for the anti immigrant movement?
It's obviously not me who's lost their job to illegals, tries to buy from companies who don't use them. So, who is it then?

Write the company and tell them why you aren't buying their products anymore and don't buy them. I don't buy them if they've ever used illegal help. There are plenty of small farms that don't. Google it. They are proud of it and desperately want people to help them out and use their products. Google American made products and you will find a lot.

Yes, we should punish the business owner for not taking the time to find out if he has illegal help! It's his company, his responsibility. They can't hide behind that excuse anymore, you don't think they use that as a great excuse to avoid legal action? It's not that hard to find out. I know from experience.

Yes, we disagree big time!
You might want to re-read my post. There is nothing we can do unless we know for proof-positive that a business employs illegals. I don't know about you but I have no crystal ball to tell me which ones do. Of course the ones I know about I won't buy their products and let them know why. My solution to this is e-verify and yes I am just as concerned at you are about this illegal invasion. I am retired but I do know many Americans who have been put out of work by illegal alien labor.

Anti-"immigrant" movement? Hope that was just a slip of the tongue.

The fact is that "some" employers don't actually know that their HR department has hired illegals and even they can be fooled by fake documents. As I said the solution to that is e-verify. That is one of my activist actions. I am in constant contact with my state's politicians to push for that and to push for ending birthright citizenship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 12:52 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
i hear you. u cant build a house here w/o using illegal labor.
new orleans was rebuilt after katrina with illegal immigrant labor.
the government subsidizes illegals with section 8 and food stamps to compete with your payroll.
election time coming, throw the rascals out.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:53 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I feel for businesses trying to stay afloat today. This is what drives me nuts...We need guest workers and they profit when we do hire them. Why does this country ignore revamping our guest visa program and allow those who register to come in legally? Or how about sealing the border and putting legal residents to work? This gov is not interested in saving your business or employing people, this gov only wants the votes.This issue with our border could be solved and you can't tell anyone with a brain cell that it can't. We have the capability to move tens of thousands of military people all over the globe in a matter of hours and we can't patrol our own border or build a fence?
We already have several guest worker programs. Why do we need more in view of the fact that we have millions of Americans out of work right now? Other than that I agree with the rest of your post.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:01 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,893,919 times
Hate to say it but this is the way it's going to stay. The FedGov is turning a blind eye to this and any laws on the books are a mere slap on the wrist.

So you best adapt and adjust to the new American way of life.
There is truth to this Race to the Bottom and it's happening right before your eyes.
Denial is fruitless.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:18 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Hate to say it but this is the way it's going to stay. The FedGov is turning a blind eye to this and any laws on the books are a mere slap on the wrist.

There is truth to this Race to the Bottom and it's happening right before your eyes.
Denial is fruitless.
I'm NOT dead yet. Yes, things ARE getting worse, it doesn't mean they will "stay" that way.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:04 AM

8,401 posts, read 9,550,354 times
Quote:

Denial is fruitless.
Hitting the wallets of people who adopt this as a way of life is the only way to eliminate it. It all comes down to money, money and more money. If we all made an effort and really used our buying power to support the ones who don't use illegal labor they would change.
It's our only voice, money talks plain and simple.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:12 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,893,919 times
Quote:
Hitting the wallets of people who adopt this as a way of life is the only way to eliminate it. It all comes down to money, money and more money. If we all made an effort and really used our buying power to support the ones who don't use illegal labor they would change.
It's our only voice, money talks plain and simple.
I agree but it's near impossible to do these days.
I'm in Texas and it's bad here, real bad.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:24 AM

8,401 posts, read 9,550,354 times
Quote:
I agree but it's near impossible to do these days.
I'm in Texas and it's bad here, real bad.
I hear ya I'm in AZ. I may be beating dead horse but I won't give up yet. lol It does feel fruitless sometimes, especially when nobody in government seems to act as if it's any real concern. Go figure.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:43 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,040 times
Quote:
I hear ya I'm in AZ. I may be beating dead horse but I won't give up yet. lol It does feel fruitless sometimes, especially when nobody in government seems to act as if it's any real concern. Go figure.
Because it's not hurting them or anyone they care about.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:56 AM

16,886 posts, read 12,541,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My DH and I own and operate a small home improvement contracting business. He has been in the trade since HS and has been doing this for over 35 years. 21 years ago we established our business.

Right from the start we have done everything above the boards -- registration with the federal government for a TIN, with the state for sales tax and UI, etc., with local county and towns for licensing. Add to that registering with the EPA for lead certification. Adding insult to injury, our local county collects a couple of hundred dollars above the licensing fee which goes into a fund -- this is the kicker -- the fund reimburses homeowners (up to a certain amount) for improper/faulty work done by unlicensed contractors!

We spent tens of thousands of dollars each year to maintain commercial liability, workers comp, commercial auto, non vehicular equipment, unemployment and disability insurance. We maintain an office with land line phone (no fly-by-night), workshop and garage. Our employees are e-verified, background checked, uniformed and professional in appearance -- as well as being highly qualified and able to speak and comprehend English.

There are many other small business people like us who are finding themselves in the same situation: We are being undercut by business which are operating under-the-wire, paying day laborers cash -- and this isn't just illegals from south of the border (although they make up a greater percentage in this area) but illegals from Poland and other eastern European countries.

Last week, I happened to drive by a long time client's home and noticed an unmarked van in her driveway along with a bunch of Hispanic men cutting on a table saw and ferrying the cut lumber into his house. I emailed him, asking if she had been happy with us in the past, and if so, why he didn't give us a chance to provide a quote on the job. He emailed back we were too expensive. Yes, when compared to a company had no county license sticker, a van with out of state plates and a group of men who appeared to be illegals.

My insurance companies would drop me in a flash if I was paying men under the table, if I had unlicensed men operating my vehicles, etc. They won't cut me any deals if I explain that my projected sales in 2012 are off by 60%. The politicians I have contacted are of little help. My commercial landlord isn't willing to accept a little less in rent to help out.

I refuse to break the law, or add those who are coming here illegally by hiring them off the books. I am at my wits end. We've taken a reduction in my husband's salary (I am unpaid), reduced our overhead markup -- we are now losing money where we once broke even. I don't know what we are going to do when we are forced to provide health insurance or get fined.

Whose American dream is this?

start calling ICE on the offenders. if ICE wont do anything, then sue the federal goverment for not obeying the law. that would go over real good in the democrat circles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration