U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:46 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,038,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
...This number is low compared to the trillions that would be spent if the current 11 million to 12 million illegal immigrants already residing in the U.S. were given amnesty. Less than 50 percent of them have high school degrees. Amnesty would make this population eligible for means-tested welfare as well as other government benefits. The cost to taxpayers would be devastating: Social Security and Medicare costs alone would be $2.6 trillion...
Except that "if amnestied", they start as Legal Permanent Residents, and are unable to access means-tested benefits for five years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 08:26 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,417,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
If a legal immigrant qualifies for aid after five years, why do you want to deport them? Tell me where I said that family sponsorship was easy - Using our case as an example was exactly the opposite, I had the staff of both of my Senators involved at different times, and it still took longer to get my family into Legal Permanent Resident status than an 18-month advance notice of my military deployment.

If you can't treat a servicemember right, especially carrying out 15-month wartime deployments away from home, whom can you? We'll cover our own medical bills, and the hospital pays us twice for employment. But it's always a matter of costs to you - even when you make it up as you go along.

Having 15% of the population (and 20% of the workforce) as foreign-born has been fine before, it's a natural fit for America...

We've always been our own style of country, and don't have to model ourselves on other nations...
Most immigration was stopped around 1920 so the ones already here HAD to become American. We're at that point again to stop mass immigarion. Where we're at it: make it very harsh on the illegal aliens and take away birthright citizenship unless at one parent is a legal alien at worst.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Most immigration was stopped around 1920 so the ones already here HAD to become American. We're at that point again to stop mass immigarion. Where we're at it: make it very harsh on the illegal aliens and take away birthright citizenship unless at one parent is a legal alien at worst.
There wasn't any "HAD to's", at that timeframe they were treated as defaulting into U.S. citizenship. Waiting periods laid down in law weren't observed (I have ancestors that got naturalized without putting in the required time), and it was only a trip to the local courthouse.

Nowadays the N-400 application requires defined dates when outside the country, so that they can be subtracted from the time accumulated in the United States...

My family of legal immigrants thanks you for being such a harda$$ to the way they came, but still leaving loopholes in your plans with "Anchor Babies" (mixed-status parents, where one is an illegal immigrant, and the other is a U.S. citizen or Legal Permanent Resident would still be allowed by you to get citizenship for their baby)...

Old 01-17-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
There wasn't any "HAD to's", at that timeframe they were treated as defaulting into U.S. citizenship. Waiting periods laid down in law weren't observed (I have ancestors that got naturalized without putting in the required time), and it was only a trip to the local courthouse.

Nowadays the N-400 application requires defined dates when outside the country, so that they can be subtracted from the time accumulated in the United States...

My family of legal immigrants thanks you for being such a harda$$ to the way they came, but still leaving loopholes in your plans with "Anchor Babies" (mixed-status parents, where one is an illegal immigrant, and the other is a U.S. citizen or Legal Permanent Resident would still be allowed by you to get citizenship for their baby)...
Still time to slow down immigration and REALLY slow it down from places like Mexico since we already have lots of people from there legally. My family came here legal.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Still time to slow down immigration and REALLY slow it down from places like Mexico since we already have lots of people from there legally. My family came here legal.
From Mexico?...

So you just want to "REALLY slow it down" for families like mine, not families like yours?...

I thought it was REALLY slow enough trying to get my wife and stepchildren into the United States before I would go on a fifth military deployment. Is getting an immigrant from another (non-Mexico) country needed in a more timely fashion than the family of a U.S. servicemember, no matter which country they are from? There are also "lots" of Filipinos, Germans, and Koreans here legally as spouses of veterans too.

I'm seeing a desire to close down legal immigration here, but it seems to only be focused on whether it is from certain countries...

Old 01-17-2012, 09:08 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,213,380 times
Quote:
From Mexico?...

So you just want to "REALLY slow it down" for families like mine, not families like yours?...

I thought it was REALLY slow enough trying to get my wife and stepchildren into the United States before I would go on a fifth military deployment. Is getting an immigrant from another (non-Mexico) country needed in a more timely fashion than the family of a U.S. servicemember, no matter which country they are from? There are also "lots" of Filipinos, Germans, and Koreans here legally as spouses of veterans too.

I'm seeing a desire to close down legal immigration here, but it seems to only be focused on whether it is from certain countries...
I think the poster you are responding to already answered your question. I like him, want to see diversity in our immigration numbers. Isn't that what this country is all about? Right now, we need to "slow down" aka decrease our annual allotted legal immigration numbers until our economy and job situtation improves. Doesn't that make sense to you? One thing I might add is that if we removed a good portion of illegal immigrants that would open up job opportunites for both citizens and legal immigrants. Wouldn't you agree?

Old 01-17-2012, 11:27 AM

387 posts, read 272,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I think the poster you are responding to already answered your question. I like him, want to see diversity in our immigration numbers. Isn't that what this country is all about? Right now, we need to "slow down" aka decrease our annual allotted legal immigration numbers until our economy and job situtation improves. Doesn't that make sense to you? One thing I might add is that if we removed a good portion of illegal immigrants that would open up job opportunites for both citizens and legal immigrants. Wouldn't you agree?
That would certainly help unemployment as we hire another hundred thousand people for the immigration bureaucracy. Build another 50 billion a year federal organization. Really help in downsizing the government.

And then we replace 8 million with a high percentage of subsistence workers with 8 million new workers who will be able to use all the welfare services.

It would open job opportunities for at least teenagers though. McD will be pleased.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
From Mexico?...

Why NOT slow down any immigration from Mexico? Mexican legal aliens are already over represented here; it's high time to let other countries like England, Germany, Italy, Spain, and so on send legals here instead.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Why NOT slow down any immigration from Mexico? Mexican legal aliens are already over represented here; it's high time to let other countries like England, Germany, Italy, Spain, and so on send legals here instead.
Why do you reference European, and with one exception, Western European, countries for your ideal immigrants? Aren't African, Asian, and Oriental countries equally deserving? Regional or national representation is not going to be unassailable in determining immigration criteria.

Put another way, your plan put into action several years back would have delayed (further) or denied the sponsorship of my wife and stepchildren to immigrate here. If I would have had a family from elsewhere, not so much. Why would you tell me as a servicemember (at that time) that I could be deployed to wars for this great country, but my family wasn't as welcome here?

What are you basing your "over-represented" judgement on? My family has blended in extremely well, my stepchildren are indistinguishable from U.S. citizen Hispanics coming from families here for generations. The potential English, Irish, German, and Italian immigrants could be barred through that same bad determination of being "over-represented" here as well.

Read that again, an outdated immigration policy based on ethnicity or nationality has not been in effect here since the Chinese Exclusion Act...

It's time for you guys to get into the 21st century with your proposals...

You didn't even answer my question if the child of a U.S. citizen and illegal alien could get U.S. citizenship if born here by your determinations...

Last edited by IBMMuseum; 01-17-2012 at 08:22 PM..

Old 01-17-2012, 07:47 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,213,380 times
Quote:
Why do you reference European, and with one exception, Western European, countries for your ideal immigrants? Aren't African, Asian, and Oriental countries equally deserving? Regional or national representation is not going to be unassailable in determining immigration criteria.

Put another way, your plan put into action several years back would have delayed (further) or denied the sponsorship of my wife and stepchildren to immigrate here. If I would have had a family from elsewhere, not so much. Why would you tell me as a servicemember (at that time) that I could be deployed to wars for this great country, but my family wasn't as welcome here?

What are you basing your "over-represented" judgement on? My family has blended in extremely well, my stepchildren are indistinguishable from U.S. citizen Hispanics coming from families here for generations. The potential English, Irish, Germans, and Italians immigrants could be barred through that same bad determination of being "over-represented" here as well.

Read that again, an outdated immigration policy based on ethnicity or nationality has not been in effect here since the Chinese Exclusion Act...

It's time for you guys to get into the 21st century with your proposals...

You didn't even answer my question if the child of a U.S. citizen and illegal alien could get U.S. citizenship if born here by your determinations...

As for what countries are represented by the most immigrants both legal and illegal, here it is again. I think you can see which countries are under represented here.

Top 10 legal and illegal immigrant nationalities in the U.S. - OhMyGov News

IMO, just because someone has served in our military it should not put his foreign spouse or potential spouse in the front of the line of other potential immigrants that were waiting in their countries first. Some may disagree with me on that but that's alright. They are entitled to their opinion also. "Any" immigrant can blend in well if they so choose to do so and I would hope that they would. There is more to blending in (assimilation) then just learning our language and customs also and I am not pointing the finger at anyone by that remark. It is just a statement of truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration