Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 12:14 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
At a senior center in East Las Vegas, the Texas congressman told about 100 Hispanics that they have been unfairly made “scapegoats” for the country’s economic troubles.

He said that illegal immigrants were being scapegoated in a manner similar to Jews in Nazi Germany because of tough economic times.

Ron Paul says Latinos are being made 'scapegoats' - James Hohmann - POLITICO.com

Old 02-07-2012, 12:28 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,218,190 times
He's right

Old 02-07-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
He's right
His comparison of illegal immigration in the U.S. to the treatment of Jews in Nazi Germany is right? Are we sending illegals to concentration camps to be exterminated? The mere notion of comparing such an atrocity to the coddling illegal aliens receive in this country is beyond ludicrous. Illegals receive the bashing they deserve. If they don't like the treatment, they are free to leave. Did the Jews have that choice?

Old 02-07-2012, 12:46 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
http://www.politico.com/news/stories...336_Page2.html

Quote:
Unlike most functions it now performs, he says the federal government has a constitutional role in managing immigration.

He upset a a Latino woman with his opposition to the DREAM Act, which would grant citizenship to some illegal residents. But he registered his objections with sympathy, explaining that he simply opposes spending federal money to help one minority group over another.
I think Paul is trying to be honest about addressing a bad system while not making a whole race stained. The unemployment situation is partly exacerbated by illegal immigration but it is a minor issue than the bigger causes of unemployment.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:48 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
His comparison of illegal immigration in the U.S. to the treatment of Jews in Nazi Germany is right? Are we sending illegals to concentration camps to be exterminated? The mere notion of comparing such an atrocity to the coddling illegal aliens receive in this country is beyond ludicrous. Illegals receive the bashing they deserve. If they don't like the treatment, they are free to leave. Did the Jews have that choice?
I'm Jewish and even have holocaust survivors in my family.

I'm no fan of Paul, but his point is well taken. Hispanics absolutely are the scapegoats for hard economic times.

Actually, the parallels are eerily similar. "They" are stealing our jobs. "They" don't want to assimilate. "They" are trying to shove their values and beliefs down our throats.

Perhaps you should take a step back and actually read some of the things written in this forum.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:49 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,218,190 times
Quote:
I'm not falling for your strawman. He didn't say that, he said they were being scapegoated, which is true.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I'm not falling for your strawman. He didn't say that, he said they were being scapegoated, which is true.
Yes, he said "scapegoat" by comparing them to Jews in Nazi Germany, which is a ridiculous comparison. I would think he could have used a different analogy.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I'm Jewish and even have holocaust survivors in my family.

I'm no fan of Paul, but his point is well taken. Hispanics absolutely are the scapegoats for hard economic times.

Actually, the parallels are eerily similar. "They" are stealing our jobs. "They" don't want to assimilate. "They" are trying to shove their values and beliefs down our throats.

Perhaps you should take a step back and actually read some of the things written in this forum.
I read the article. I oppose his remarks due to his use of the term "Nazi Germany." Had he compared it to U.S. slavery, as so many have, I would be equally appalled. He's pandering, period.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:19 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
You miss the point entirely. He is pointing out that the government is who should be held accountable for allowing the illegal immigration situtation as it is the government policies which have created the problem and prolong it. While illegals taking advantage of the situation may deserve our distain; our distain and bashing at our government for its enablement should be 100% worse.

The comparison was less than ideal but the point should not be missed. If you will recall Ron Paul is the only candidate who has been outspoken about removing all benefits being used by illegal aliens in order to stem the tide of illegal immigration.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You miss the point entirely. He is pointing out that the government is who should be held accountable for allowing the illegal immigration situtation as it is the government policies which have created the problem and prolong it. While illegals taking advantage of the situation may deserve our distain; our distain and bashing at our government for its enablement should be 100% worse.

The comparison was less than ideal but the point should not be missed. If you will recall Ron Paul is the only candidate who has been outspoken about removing all benefits being used by illegal aliens in order to stem the tide of illegal immigration.
When, during this occasion did he say that? I re-read the article, and I don't see it. Please quote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration