Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 07:34 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
Just as they did of the Germans and Irish and Italians. It will pass.

I believe the illegals are a substantial problem that needs to be dealt with and the sooner the better. I do not however believe that is going to happen as both sides have veto power and are unable to compromise.

The real hope for a solution is that Mexico does better and better over the next years. Few Mexicans are enamored of the US except as an economic opportunity. If that lessens the flow may even invert.
1920 saw immigration all but stopped. Then the tap was opened up again in 1965. Time to shut it again. That's one big reason the Irish, Italians and so on didn't totally enrage us Americans. The Irish, etc. knew the *** was up and HAD to become American. Some of my people had the deal with "No Irish Need Apply" as late as the 1930's; it wasn't right but even some of my family were nasty, drunken, violent people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 09:48 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
America needs to help that along by rolling up the welcome mat to the South for criminal crossers and over stays. Tough love, so to speak. Give the tax payers some relief.
I fail to understand what the Irish, Germans who came here legally long ago and may have suffered some discrimination has to do with illegal aliens today, don't you? We have citizens and legal immigrants that came here from Mexico and I don't see any discrimination against them. Interesting how those lines of legal and illegal get blurred by the defenders of illegal aliens, isn't it?

Old 01-20-2012, 10:48 PM

387 posts, read 337,557 times
Quote:
I fail to understand what the Irish, Germans who came here legally long ago and may have suffered some discrimination has to do with illegal aliens today, don't you? We have citizens and legal immigrants that came here from Mexico and I don't see any discrimination against them. Interesting how those lines of legal and illegal get blurred by the defenders of illegal aliens, isn't it?
You need to follow the thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
It doesn't matter; people are getting tired of the illegal invasion. You can take that to the bank. Just the insulting comments directed towards Hispanics as a group is growing and NOT just from anglo white people.
Notice the "Hispanics as a group"?

There that was no so hard was it?

Old 01-20-2012, 10:53 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
1920 saw immigration all but stopped. Then the tap was opened up again in 1965. Time to shut it again. That's one big reason the Irish, Italians and so on didn't totally enrage us Americans. The Irish, etc. knew the *** was up and HAD to become American. Some of my people had the deal with "No Irish Need Apply" as late as the 1930's; it wasn't right but even some of my family were nasty, drunken, violent people.
Most of the Irish immigration (over one million people, a staggering number at the time) was much earlier, from 1845 to 1860. In 1870, 15% of the U.S. population was foreign-born, and 20% of the workforce (there were almost as many Germans/Prussians at the same time). For a matter of decades, the U.S. population that had been born in Ireland was above 5%.

93% of immigration was from Western Europe...

Why can't it be from a different region of the world now?...

Last edited by IBMMuseum; 01-20-2012 at 11:02 PM..

Old 01-21-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
You need to follow the thread...

Notice the "Hispanics as a group"?

There that was no so hard was it?
The LEGAL Hispanics NEED to help rat out and kick out the illegals from Mexico and so on or prejudice will really grow against anybody who looks "Chicano", Hispanic or NOT Hispanic.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Most of the Irish immigration (over one million people, a staggering number at the time) was much earlier, from 1845 to 1860. In 1870, 15% of the U.S. population was foreign-born, and 20% of the workforce (there were almost as many Germans/Prussians at the same time). For a matter of decades, the U.S. population that had been born in Ireland was above 5%.

Why should people from a different part of the world be let in? The Japanese don't really like non Japanese all that much, most countries in Black Africa prefer to let only blacks in and so on.

Although letting in educated people from "insert country here" of ANY race but who already speak English into the US would be fine because they become "American" quite fast.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:36 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post

Region? All those immigrants that came from Europe were from several different countries with entirely different cultures and languages. That isn't true of Mexico and the rest of Latin America. They may have some differences in culture but Spanish is the dominant language and they are ethnically similar. That isn't diversity. There is no comparison to the entire European continent where the similarities were far less.

Sure some of those Europeans clinged to their old cultures and languages but most wanted to assimilate and become Americans and adopt the English language as their primary one. Not so with those from Mexico and Latin America today. Many come with a resentment of white Americans over some past long gone and their culture and language.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:29 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
From UTube

Testimony about "51 Florida Hospitals in trouble" due to illegal aliens expenses NoillegalAliens

Subscribe

Subscribed

Unsubscribe

23 videos Sign in or sign up now!
Loading... This video is not currently available.

That's strange, it plays fine for me. In fact, I just clicked from YOUR post with no problem. I'm not sure where you found "this video is not currently available," but it certainly isn't applicable to this.

Quote:
Your dislike of the Constitution in no way changes what it means. .
What gives you the impression I "dislike" the Constitution? I don't. I simply oppose the bastardization of the 14th Amendment, and its flagrant abuse by illegal aliens -- who hold no allegiance to this country, have no right to be here, and give birth on U.S. soil expressly for personal gain, at U.S. taxpayers' expense.

Quote:
A simple test. As soon as one includes the cost to treat or care for children born in the US you have right wing propaganda. .
The astronomical costs borne by U.S. taxpayers for their pre/post-natal care, WIC, welfare, subsidized housing, K-12 education, etc. is indeed a legitimate concern. Why should we be forced to support the children of people whose mere presence is a violation of our laws? The fact that illegal aliens gave birth to these children on U.S. soil does not diminish our burden. Nor does it make those who report on such costs right-wing propagandists.

We maintain data on most tax-funded expenditures. Do you consider reports on the costs associated with unemployment, social services, prisons and schools inherently right-wing propaganda? Why should the children of illegal aliens, who are costing us billions annually, be off-limits? Don't we have a right to account for those costs as well? After all, we are footing the bill.

The fact is, illegal aliens should not be here, period. Therefore, ALL costs associated with their illegal presence, including the result of births, are unnecessary and preventable. As a taxpayer, I have every right to oppose it.

Quote:
That is a single anecdote of dubious providence from a small newspaper in MN.

I doubt its truth and even if true it is an irrelevant screwup by some jerk.
Please provide proof that this travesty is an isolated incident; and that we have not spent additional thousands or even millions on similar "non-emergency" procedures for other illegals.

BTW, if the info I posted is bogus, it should be very easy for you to refute. Why haven't you?

Old 01-21-2012, 11:50 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Two kinds of pro-illegal open borders proponents.

One kind actually believes the USA can take in unlimited numbers of people from anywhere in the world, including all the over 2 billion impoverished people throughout the world who would like a nice standard of living and foodstamps, free health care and much more in the USA.

The other kind are racists that believe that only those from their own country have unlimited rights to come to the USA -- but they don't believe in having unlimited Chinese, Romanians, Africans, Haitians pouring into the USA.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:40 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Two kinds of pro-illegal open borders proponents.

One kind actually believes the USA can take in unlimited numbers of people from anywhere in the world, including all the over 2 billion impoverished people throughout the world who would like a nice standard of living and foodstamps, free health care and much more in the USA.

The other kind are racists that believe that only those from their own country have unlimited rights to come to the USA -- but they don't believe in having unlimited Chinese, Romanians, Africans, Haitians pouring into the USA.
And you believe that Joe Random Nationality can file some sort of paperwork unsponsored, so that they can just wait in a "line" to eventually come here?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration