U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:17 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,953,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
I am talking abut the major builders...those who do hundreds of houses...or custom builders who do one offs.

There is no rational way to check who is in a subcontract crew. You may know who is supposed to be there but that may well not be who is there.
Why not? I have worked as a consultant for subcontractors on government projects, and a thorough background check was conducted for EVERY member of their staff, including the janitorial workers. It's the difference between operating a legitimate business, and being a greedy, unscrupulous employer. It may take a little more time, but the results are well worth the effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 02:47 PM

387 posts, read 273,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I disagree. A contractor has the right and the ability to insist on the employee list of all of thier subs. They can also require that their legal status has been verified.
The corporation I work for does this with every cntractor they use including temps.
There is no rational way to check who is in a subcontract crew. You may know who is supposed to be there but that may well not be who is there.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Why not? I have worked as a consultant for subcontractors on government projects, and a thorough background check was conducted for EVERY member of their staff, including the janitorial workers. It's the difference between operating a legitimate business, and being a greedy, unscrupulous employer. It may take a little more time, but the results are well worth the effort.
I believe there have been any number of examples where illegals were found working in secure sites like airports and defense buildings. And these are supposedly secure sites.

Expecting such security on a commercial site is a pipe dream.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:02 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,953,914 times
Quote:
I believe there have been any number of examples where illegals were found working in secure sites like airports and defense buildings. And these are supposedly secure sites.

Expecting such security on a commercial site is a pipe dream.
Yes, and it is the result of incompetence, laziness, or both. Illegals may have the ability to present fraudulent documents, but they certainly can't fake fingerprints. High level security operations always fingerprint and conduct exhaustive background investigations. In fact, they are so thorough, they even told my mother when she applied for a position with the CIA requiring a top security clearance, the date she thought she was born, and had celebrated her entire life, was not actually her DOB.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Here's a good example of one set of criminals being burned by another set of criminals. Serves the family right - they thought they'd get by with getting cheap labor and ended up losing $3000. No legitimate business owner is going to run off with $3000 and go into hiding. Of course for these guys, it doesn't cost much to simply acquire another identity. As for the family they deserve losing money, they could have done a BBB check and looked for a licensed and bonded company that might hire citizens.

Socorro Family Scammed by Wanted Man | KTSM News Channel 9
Sorry? How is this related to illegal aliens or such?

AC requires specific skills not likely in an illegal alien.

This sounds like a classical small business ripoff...an entirely different subject.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:00 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,513,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
The contractors around here hire the Amish to do roofing and construction. They get superb work
and don't have to worry about illegals.
So would I.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:02 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,513,233 times
Quote:
Throughout the south west I doubt there is a single major builder who does not indirectly use illegals on the homes they build. The subcontractor system basically makes it difficult if not impossible to prevent this.

I would be skeptical that there are many custom builders who are not in the same situation. Perhaps a few who basically build with a three or four man crew may not...but that is a pretty rare operation.

So a doubt you can buy a home in the SW without illegal labor. Even if you could set up guard gates on the job site how about the truss factory?
I can't stop illegal alien labor everywhere on the "food chain" but I CAN do my part at my end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or