Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 11:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
i never said i hired illegal aliens. i said i dont care if the people who work on the property are illegals. im not playing the immigration game and wasting time checking visas of people on site like im working at the border. as long as the work gets done, i dont care. simple as that.
And that's why the stealth amnesty our government is doing generates no backlash IMHO. The majority of Americans simply don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 11:05 PM

475 posts, read 508,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And that's why the stealth amnesty our government is doing generates no backlash IMHO. The majority of Americans simply don't care.
Why would we care ? as long as the job is done doesnt matter who does it. And by the way, im 100% pro-amnesty for those without a criminal record.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:13 AM

373 posts, read 710,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
Why would we care ? as long as the job is done doesnt matter who does it. And by the way, im 100% pro-amnesty for those without a criminal record.
Why would you care? Maybe because not breaking the law is important?

Old 01-16-2012, 11:27 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
There are lazy people of every ethnic/national group. It is BS to claim that all or even most Americans are lazy due to one experience. Illegals "appear" to be hard workers only because they have to work in the shadows and fear being reported and/or deported.

It is amazing to me that some don't care about our labor and immigration laws to save a buck and that is really the bottom of line of why they hire illegals, not because Americans workers are lazy. They are as uncrupulous as the illegals themselves.
Talk to the farmers in Alabama about "hard workers", and who couldn't get enuff "locals" just to pick their crops, that they had to pressure the state legislature to undo its harsh "anti-immigration" law!

And IMHO, there is a difference in "cultures". I'll frequently hire day-laborers for some work on my rentals, and invariably the "hispanic" guys always seem to be the hardest workers, and even more importantly, they're more reliable. While the unemployed "white guys" usually may work out fine for a day or so, but soon as they get paid, they'll go out that nite and drink it all away... and that's the last you ever hear of 'em (at least until they need more booze money)! So yeah, if you wanna "generalize", there may be a few hard-working, reliable (and sober) unemployed white guys still out there, but I sure haven't run across 'em yet (and "legal" or not, I need to get some work done)!

And don't even get me started re: the differences I've experienced, between renting to "low-income" hispanic folks, and to "low-income whites" (aka "rednecks")...!

Last edited by mateo45; 01-16-2012 at 11:43 AM..

Old 01-16-2012, 01:41 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Talk to the farmers in Alabama about "hard workers", and who couldn't get enuff "locals" just to pick their crops, that they had to pressure the state legislature to undo its harsh "anti-immigration" law!

And IMHO, there is a difference in "cultures". I'll frequently hire day-laborers for some work on my rentals, and invariably the "hispanic" guys always seem to be the hardest workers, and even more importantly, they're more reliable. While the unemployed "white guys" usually may work out fine for a day or so, but soon as they get paid, they'll go out that nite and drink it all away... and that's the last you ever hear of 'em (at least until they need more booze money)! So yeah, if you wanna "generalize", there may be a few hard-working, reliable (and sober) unemployed white guys still out there, but I sure haven't run across 'em yet (and "legal" or not, I need to get some work done)!

And don't even get me started re: the differences I've experienced, between renting to "low-income" hispanic folks, and to "low-income whites" (aka "rednecks")...!
You are not being totally honest. Or, maybe your perception of honesty is skewed.

Many illegal workers are only on time and work hard because they are intimidated. Would you not work hard if you had a family to support and you were afraid that you could be deported as a whim - your employer no longer liked you or your work. The system sucks!

It is also the other “benefits” of the under-the-table system to the employers that illegally hire them. No books, no money into the state coffers for unemployment insurance or disability, no health insurance premiums and other ‘perks’. No risk of law suits.

The roofing contractor that did my roof in post #17 was running around in a Jaguar. He was obviously sharing his wealth with his help! I wonder how many rich farmers fought against the new Alabama laws?

Hopefully, one day, all of this will catch up to both the illegal’s and their employers. I see that Rick Santorum has now come out against chain migration and the visa lottery.

By the way; why are low income whites red-necks but not low income Hispanics?

I was always a hard worker and I have worked with good workers from all races and lazy workers from all races.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:59 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,218,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconman View Post
I told the owner that if I saw anyone of his workers who didnt speak english or appeared to be an alien I would require FULL LEGAL DOCUMENTATION of the workers ON MY PROPERTY OR HE WOULDNT BE PAID. .
And how did you determine if they appeared to be alien? What was your criteria?

Old 01-16-2012, 02:14 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
And how did you determine if they appeared to be alien? What was your criteria?
Easy.. they have antenna sticking out of their heads, they have enormous eyes and they are only three feet tall and of course the dead give-away....they are green.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You are not being totally honest. Or, maybe your perception of honesty is skewed.

Many illegal workers are only on time and work hard because they are intimidated. Would you not work hard if you had a family to support and you were afraid that you could be deported as a whim - your employer no longer liked you or your work. The system sucks!

It is also the other “benefits” of the under-the-table system to the employers that illegally hire them. No books, no money into the state coffers for unemployment insurance or disability, no health insurance premiums and other ‘perks’. No risk of law suits.

The roofing contractor that did my roof in post #17 was running around in a Jaguar. He was obviously sharing his wealth with his help! I wonder how many rich farmers fought against the new Alabama laws?

Hopefully, one day, all of this will catch up to both the illegal’s and their employers. I see that Rick Santorum has now come out against chain migration and the visa lottery.

By the way; why are low income whites red-necks but not low income Hispanics?

I was always a hard worker and I have worked with good workers from all races and lazy workers from all races.
Excuses, excuses, nuthin' but excuses.... which is what a lot of us who decide things like employees and tenants, have come to expect from the low-end part of the market that always feels "entitled" (simply because they're "natives")!

Old 01-16-2012, 04:01 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Excuses, excuses, nuthin' but excuses.... which is what a lot of us who decide things like employees and tenants, have come to expect from the low-end part of the market that always feels "entitled" (simply because they're "natives")!
When I was younger I used to strip boxcars. I would literally lift 120,000 pounds of 100 pound bags off the floors of those cars (three boxcars a day). There were not too many other people that would keep up or even do the work that I was doing. But there were some. There will always been some hard workers that do take pride in their work.

I am retired; but I still work part time. I work for a company that hires many (I presume all legal Hispanics).Even at retirement age I still hold my own against many workers. I don’t give excuses - I just get the work done.

You should not give excuses - keep looking until you find good workers. As far as tenants; there are good tenants - you just have to just have to do the background checks and run the references. You can get bad ones - no matter what race if you don’t check. Of course you only have to threaten the illegal ones with deportation to evict them!

Old 01-16-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
When I was younger I used to strip boxcars. I would literally lift 120,000 pounds of 100 pound bags off the floors of those cars (three boxcars a day). There were not too many other people that would keep up or even do the work that I was doing. But there were some. There will always been some hard workers that do take pride in their work.

I am retired; but I still work part time. I work for a company that hires many (I presume all legal Hispanics).Even at retirement age I still hold my own against many workers. I don’t give excuses - I just get the work done.

You should not give excuses - keep looking until you find good workers. As far as tenants; there are good tenants - you just have to just have to do the background checks and run the references. You can get bad ones - no matter what race if you don’t check. Of course you only have to threaten the illegal ones with deportation to evict them!
BTW, that's another thing I try to avoid, is employees and tenants who feel "entitled" to tell me how to run my business and how to spend my money. And funny thing is, they're often the same ones who don't seem to care much for "taking directions" themselves!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration