Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 05:12 PM

475 posts, read 507,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
So when you go out to eat at a restaurant with YOUR MONEY and YOUR STOMACH, do you immediately upon being seated ask for the manager to make sure that the dishes were washed by someone that is legal, and the same for the food that is being prepared.

This could be a great thing for contractors that market their businesses to homeowners that feel this way.

I can just see the advertising. . . .

"American Citizens Roofing. Thats right folks, real, documented Americans working on your roof, on YOUR PROPERTY so they can get some of YOUR MONEY. Owner Joe White and foreman Bob Aryan are committed to providing quality service to you at your home with all legal workers. Our crews even wear t-shirts with American flags on them and all speak perfect English (except for one of our helpers who has a brain injury and just unloads the truck) - and they are all documented. So you can sit in your home knowing that your roof was replaced by people that did not walk across the desert out of a third world country just south of here. Please be advised though that our prices are at least 40-50% higher than other roofing companies. If you want people speaking English at YOUR PROPERTY, it costs more. But it is soooooo worth it."
LMAO !!!! Fantastic !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 05:45 PM

373 posts, read 709,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
FalconMan is doing what he can to take care of Americans. The rest of what you're saying sounds like baiting to me.
I agree some people just cant stand to see a true american use his rights that they can not take away or stop....lol I dont allow no criminals around here, let them go to the other posters house if he has one. Most likely he doesnt

Old 01-17-2012, 05:43 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
And how did you determine if they appeared to be alien? What was your criteria?
I know in my case when none could speak a word of english I asked to see documentation and the employer started making excuses. No green card then no working on my property its that simple.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:32 AM

387 posts, read 337,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I know in my case when none could speak a word of english I asked to see documentation and the employer started making excuses. No green card then no working on my property its that simple.
And your contractor and perhaps you are violating the law. You have to ask to see the documentation of everyone who works on your property. If you ask only for those who speak a foreign language you are in violation.

That would make you an illegal...

Old 01-17-2012, 10:49 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The OP mentioned appearances in addition to language, how do you base it on appearances?

Old 01-17-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
The OP mentioned appearances in addition to language, how do you base it on appearances?
I cant and wouldnt try to speak for the op. You should ask him your question.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
And your contractor and perhaps you are violating the law. You have to ask to see the documentation of everyone who works on your property. If you ask only for those who speak a foreign language you are in violation.

I can live with it. I think it reasonable that a contractor hired to do a job, does it legally. Meaning using lawfully purchased materials as well as lawfully hired employees. Don't make me the home owner an accomplice or a party to his crimes.
In my case I asked if his employees had green cards. I didnt single any out. The greedy contractor actually singled them out for me.
Come on have a heart they have families, that card doesn't make them any different etc. Then the threats of sueing me etc.
I was more than willing to call the police and let them decide who was right and who was wrong. The contractor oddly enough didn't want the law envolved. My wife who is addicted to taking pictures wasn't involved in the conversation and was happily walking around taking pictures for her house building album. LOL

Old 01-17-2012, 02:11 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
i could care less who is working on my property as long as the job gets done. it makes no sense to me to pay more for an american to mow my lawn when i can get an illegal to do it for a cheaper rate. granted, i dont know if the people doing it are illegal or not since i could care less anyways.
I'm sure you made sure all taxes are being paid to the Govt for using these workers right?

Old 01-17-2012, 03:46 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Federal stuff at...

Federal Laws Prohibiting Job Discrimination: Questions And Answers

You can find similar state stuff by googling equal opportunity.
Quote:

By law, employers are required to ONLY hire those eligible to legally work in this country. If the contractor is operating a legitimate business, he/she will comply with the law by completing I-9 forms on all employees; and will not object to providing proof, if requested, of the work eligibility of the employees assigned to a project.

Moreover, employment anti-discrimination laws are only applicable to employers with a workforce of at least 15. In addition, the 15 or more must work on each working day of 20 or more calendar weeks during the current or preceding year. Therefore, contractors with less than 15 employees, or those with 15 or more employees (not independent contractors picked up at Home Depot, etc.) who work sporadically, are excluded from the law. If the workers choose to file an employment discrimination lawsuit, it would be against the contractor as their employer, not the homeowner.

Bottom line: A homeowner is not in violation of EEO by requiring a contractor to provide proof of work eligibility for the assigned crew. It would also behoove a homeowner to require proof of workers' comp insurance.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:48 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
By law, employers are required to ONLY hire those eligible to legally work in this country. If the contractor is operating a legitimate business, he/she will comply with the law by completing I-9 forms on all employees; and will not object to providing proof, if requested, of the work eligibility of the employees assigned to a project.

Moreover, employment anti-discrimination laws are only applicable to employers with a workforce of at least 15. In addition, the 15 or more must work on each working day of 20 or more calendar weeks during the current or preceding year. Therefore, contractors with less than 15 employees, or those with 15 or more employees (not independent contractors picked up at Home Depot, etc.) who work sporadically, are excluded from the law. If the workers choose to file an employment discrimination lawsuit, it would be against the contractor as their employer, not the homeowner.

Bottom line: A homeowner is not in violation of EEO by requiring a contractor to provide proof of work eligibility for the assigned crew. It would also behoove a homeowner to require proof of workers' comp insurance.
Example, you hire someone to haul junk to the dump. They get into an accident. They are illegal and have no license, insurance or registration. The other party in the accident will go after who hired them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration