U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 08:14 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I was under the impression that Mexican citizens didn't need visas to legally enter the US at all as long as they weren't staying for a significant amount of time.

Americans can certainly legally visit Mexico without visas.
To legally enter the United States, Mexicans (even for children) that are non-immigrants are required to have some form of a U.S. visa (and Mexican citizens that are U.S. Legal Permanent Residents can enter simply with their Resident Cards)...

American visitors can enter Mexico freely (well, it can cost up to a few dollars, damn-good Capitalists), but require an "FMT" permit to travel into the interior (classified somewhere around 50 to 75 miles from the border)...

The FMTs run about $25 USD, and are good from 30 to 180 days (issuing officer's discretion, a U.S. passport holder will typically get the full time)...

Old 01-17-2012, 08:18 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Read it again, I am saying if someone will be here as a U.S. citizen in their adult life, it would be preferable to educate (and assimilate) them here. These kids are the classic example. As U.S. citizens, they won't stay in Mexico forever.
Are they not also citizens of Mexico? Have you no hope for Mexico to EVER stop using the U.S. as their safety valve? We can't support them forever.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:18 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,761,828 times
Quote:
To legally enter the United States, Mexicans (even for children) that are non-immigrants are required to have some form of a U.S. visa...

American visitors can enter Mexico freely (well, it can cost up to a few dollars, damn-good Capitalists), but require an "FMT" permit to travel into the interior (classified somewhere around 50 to 75 miles from the border)...

The FMTs run about $25 USD, and are good from 30 to 180 days (issuing officer's discretion, a U.S. passport holder will typically get the full time)...
I have never crossed the border by land. I have flown into Mexico several times (the last time was in 2004 though). Are the FMTs just like additional Customs forms basically (with a fee that has to be paid)? If so, maybe I wouldn't remember.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I have never crossed the border by land. I have flown into Mexico several times (the last time was in 2004 though). Are the FMTs just like additional Customs forms basically (with a fee that has to be paid)? If so, maybe I wouldn't remember.
If your stay is less than 7 days in the interior, the FMT is cost-free...

Turn it in when you leave...

Old 01-17-2012, 08:23 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,761,828 times
Quote:
If your stay is less than 7 days in the interior, the FMT is cost-free...

Turn it in when you leave...
OK...this makes sense. I've never stayed more than 5 days I believe (certainly not 7 days).

Old 01-17-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
To legally enter the United States, Mexicans (even for children) that are non-immigrants are required to have some form of a U.S. visa (and Mexican citizens that are U.S. Legal Permanent Residents can enter simply with their Resident Cards)...

The issue is not visas. At issue is the fleecing of U.S. taxpayers by Mexicans who send their children to our schools on a daily basis. Even if these children have a visa to enter this country, they still do not have the right to use taxpayers' funds to receive an education in this country. If their parents want them to attend schools here, they should be required to pay tuition.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Are they not also citizens of Mexico? Have you no hope for Mexico to EVER stop using the U.S. as their safety valve? We can't support them forever.
They aren't necessarily also Mexican citizens: Birth in the United States to Mexican National parents can get Mexican Nationality, but they have to naturalize to Mexico like all other applicants there. An example would be that they can't serve in the Mexican military in such a status, and cannot be elected to public office.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
They aren't necessarily also Mexican citizens: Birth in the United States to Mexican National parents can get Mexican Nationality, but they have to naturalize to Mexico like all other applicants there. An example would be that they can't serve in the Mexican military in such a status, and cannot be elected to public office.
How ironic. Their Mexican parents can enter our country illegally and automatically give birth to a U.S. citizen. But, they aren't automatically considered Mexican, the nationality of their parents, according to the Mexican government.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
The issue is not visas. At issue is the fleecing of U.S. taxpayers by Mexicans who send their children to our schools on a daily basis. Even if these children have a visa to enter this country, they still do not have the right to use taxpayers' funds to receive an education in this country. If their parents want them to attend schools here, they should be required to pay tuition.
Another "it isn't a matter if they cross legally" (or are U.S. citizens) argument on an illegal immigration forum? Does your definition of "having a visa" also include Immigrant Visas (remember how you defined this in the past)? I also remind you that I enrolled my Mexican National (and Mexican citizen) children in school here when they were on their "non-immigrant" visas.

No taxpayers were "fleeced" in that instance...

Old 01-17-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
How ironic. Their Mexican parents can enter our country illegally and automatically give birth to a U.S. citizen. But, they aren't automatically considered Mexican, the nationality of their parents, according to the Mexican government.
Yes, they have the same Mexican nationality as their parents...

Didn't I say that they are Mexican Nationals?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration