Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 05:23 PM

373 posts, read 710,393 times

Advertisements

When I had a new roof put on my house I suspected the company might be working illegals but didnt know for sure. I didnt want to take work away from the american citizen who owned the company so here is what I did. I told the owner that if I saw anyone of his workers who didnt speak english or appeared to be an alien I would require FULL LEGAL DOCUMENTATION of the workers ON MY PROPERTY OR HE WOULDNT BE PAID. He of course didnt like it but afterall it is MY property and MY MONEY that is being paid for the service. If we all would do little things like this it would help teach the employers that crime does not pay.If he had illegals on his payroll he made sure they didnt show up at my place .I make the rules here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 05:57 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconman View Post
When I had a new roof put on my house I suspected the company might be working illegals but didnt know for sure. I didnt want to take work away from the american citizen who owned the company so here is what I did. I told the owner that if I saw anyone of his workers who didnt speak english or appeared to be an alien I would require FULL LEGAL DOCUMENTATION of the workers ON MY PROPERTY OR HE WOULDNT BE PAID. He of course didnt like it but afterall it is MY property and MY MONEY that is being paid for the service. If we all would do little things like this it would help teach the employers that crime does not pay.If he had illegals on his payroll he made sure they didnt show up at my place .I make the rules here.
I had a mason show up with a crew of non-english speakers. I demanded documentation which he declined to provide. He was fired on the spot. My property my rules.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:16 PM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
What happened? How did you determine that the people who showed up were not illegals? Were the workers white or black? How did you determine that a white guy, or black guy, weren't illegals?

You were right to be concerned. After all, from your post, you were paying cash (i.e., no insurance) for this work. That is admirable. When my roof was damaged, the insurance company paid for it.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:30 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Hey, hire 'em, and next thing you know they'll be controlling everything and taking away your women!!

Oops, never mind, that was the argument against racial discrimination!

Old 01-12-2012, 08:41 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
LOL. You're funny. You want a "cheap" roof and the right to harass people. You're one of those people who want their cake and to eat it.
Nothing wrong with NOT hiring illegal aliens. I won't.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:04 PM

373 posts, read 710,393 times
You see we all have a right to do personal business any legal way we want. If I wanted everyone to be wearing blue sneakers as a requirement to work on my house it would still be my right. Yes you DO have to show your stinkin badge when Im the bossman....

Old 01-13-2012, 06:37 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
What happened? How did you determine that the people who showed up were not illegals? Were the workers white or black? How did you determine that a white guy, or black guy, weren't illegals?

You were right to be concerned. After all, from your post, you were paying cash (i.e., no insurance) for this work. That is admirable. When my roof was damaged, the insurance company paid for it.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:41 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
I would do the same if I hired a contractor - ask if they employed illegals, but in such a way that I could get an honest answer (hopefully), but I would want a contract in hand and a licensed contractor.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:33 PM

387 posts, read 337,557 times
Quote:
You see we all have a right to do personal business any legal way we want. If I wanted everyone to be wearing blue sneakers as a requirement to work on my house it would still be my right. Yes you DO have to show your stinkin badge when Im the bossman....
Only if it is in the contract and you don't violate state or federal law. What you suggested you do would likely be grounds to take you to court for a load of money.

You can check anyone working on your site if it is in the contract. But if you check only those who look "foreign" or speak spanish and you are likely violating both federal and state law.

Depending on how you try and add it to the contract a contractor may or may not agree. You can't reserve the right to check who you wish if the contractor wishes to avoid a suit.

You can get away with blue sneakers...but not the foreign language bit.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:36 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Can you cite such laws?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration