U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 06:49 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I thought you were the policy expert on legal immigration in this forum and yet you have to ask how someone here in this country legally can get a DL? You don't know what is required by the DMV? If that policy is flawed then seek to get it changed.
I know what is not required in New Mexico. A Social Security number. Somebody provide a policy that details how illegal aliens can be prevented from getting licenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 08:26 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,278,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Are "non-immigrant" statuses able to get licenses? The DMV is not familiar with all of the different visa types. How do we get a workable policy that only excludes illegal aliens?
That's the legal alien's problem. He or she needs to do their homework before trying to get a license in whatever state they live in. No paperwork, NO license: that chases off the illegal aliens from the get go.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
That's the legal alien's problem. He or she needs to do their homework before trying to get a license in whatever state they live in. No paperwork, NO license: that chases off the illegal aliens from the get go.
YOu guys are horrible policy makers...

I can't even get an answer if the license expiry is bound to going out of status. Why so many problems to be able to legally drive (and be insured)? It's a good thing that immigrants are used to waiting in line!

Old 01-27-2012, 07:32 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
YOu guys are horrible policy makers...

I can't even get an answer if the license expiry is bound to going out of status. Why so many problems to be able to legally drive (and be insured)? It's a good thing that immigrants are used to waiting in line!
The subject of this forum isn't immigrants. It is illegal aliens and they should be denied being licensed to drive in our country.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:41 AM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
or example, over a five-year period, 48 foreign nationals applying for licenses said they lived at an Albuquerque smoke shop. Seventeen people during a nine-month period said they lived at a car repair business. (It’s unclear whether the applicants were in the country illegally; the state does not ask about immigration status.)

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6...12651e9970b-pi

Old 01-27-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
The subject of this forum isn't immigrants. It is illegal aliens and they should be denied being licensed to drive in our country.
Correction: YOu guys are horrible policy implementers...

No one can tell me how illegal immigrants are going to be screened from whom you want to allow apply for driver's licenses? How about just providing a state to mimic? Show how the policy is put in place by that state.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:21 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Correction: YOu guys are horrible policy implementers...

No one can tell me how illegal immigrants are going to be screened from whom you want to allow apply for driver's licenses? How about just providing a state to mimic? Show how the policy is put in place by that state.
We in this forum aren't making policies the states are. I think all but 4 states don't give illegals DL's. Why don't you do your own homework and find out how those states screen out illegals?

Old 01-27-2012, 06:29 PM

2,047 posts, read 1,300,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
New Mexico -

“The policy of giving driver’s licenses to illegal immigrants, which nearly every other state has repealed or opposed, leads to fraud, human trafficking, organized crime and significant security concerns,”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/19/us...tntemail1=yGov.

Susana Martinez wants to revoke the current law, allowing licenses to be issued to illegals. She is supported by 72% of voters on this issue.
How can a law breaker be allowd to continue to break the law and on top of that given special treatment. how about those people who break the law by not paying child sopport and lose thier license why should they not get special treatment and be allowed to get their license. this is nothing but common sense! only in America people argue about this!!!

Old 01-27-2012, 06:46 PM

443 posts, read 743,364 times
Quote:
Everyone in the United States legally? How about "non-immigrant" visas, Border Crossing Cards, etc.? Where is the line drawn, say for someone legally present, but having a status that expires (is the license expiry linked to the status expiry date?)?

What about the other side of what Governor Martinez proposes? Legal Permanent Residents that are required licenses yearly. Does someone that has "Permanent Resident" for their status here, and following all laws, need to have that as a requirement?

What effect does it have on YOu, whomever has the license?...
If you enter the US on a B-1 (business/pleasure) visa you're typically (in my experience watching how my parents have filled the forms) given 6 months to stay in the country at max before you have to leave. I don't know how it works for those countries who participate in the visa waiver program. In any event you can go to a state DMV office and apply for a driver's license using the one from your own country (to show that you are capable of driving), and when you apply you present your I-94 (stamped and official proof of entry to the US) and the expiration date will be tied to the one on the I-94 - it's the same day that those 6 months expire. In other words if you were to overstay, you'd be losing the legality of your entry time as well as driving on an expired license

This may be wrong as I've only watched the procedure and not performed it firsthand, but that's what ive seen - I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm mistaken

As for a "legality check" if one is a permanent resident, a permanent resident card can be used to prove it. If one entered the US legally, you should have either an I-94, or I-94W.

Last edited by icecreamsandwich; 01-27-2012 at 06:55 PM..

Old 01-27-2012, 07:02 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Quote:
We in this forum aren't making policies the states are. I think all but 4 states don't give illegals DL's. Why don't you do your own homework and find out how those states screen out illegals?
That sounds incredibly hard to do with the net so handy and stuff. You'd think that people who claim to have brought someone here would know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or