U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 01:04 AM

11,536 posts, read 8,516,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
That is what I was trying to say. Asking for ID isn't a search of the person.
Unless you have probable cause, asking someone to prove they haven't broken any laws is.

That only matters to people who support the bill of rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 08:38 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,195,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Unless you have probable cause, asking someone to prove they haven't broken any laws is.

But probable cause IS the criteria that is being used. What part of that aren't you getting? No one is being searched other than under probable cause.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:34 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,720,291 times
Quote:

Each individual State has its own Statute towards identifying yourself when asked. Many States do required that you carry some sort of ID on you, and yes, police can ask you to ID yourself if they have stopped you for just about anything. In many States they can hold you in jail until they have a correct identity of you if you fail to convince them of your identity.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:14 PM

10,032 posts, read 6,903,813 times
Quote:
Because he is not searching your persons or property. You should take a moment to read the bill of rights.

Most other countries don't have something called the US constitution. Seems like some Americans hate it .

How does producing ID or verifying immigration status involve a search of person or property?

Old 01-25-2012, 01:16 PM

10,032 posts, read 6,903,813 times
Quote:

What we're talking about here is the police veryfying immigration status of someone who's been arrested or interacting with the police for another reason. If I get stopped for speeding do the police need probable cause to run my background for outstanding warrants?

Old 01-25-2012, 01:20 PM

327 posts, read 263,495 times
Quote:

If i get into an acident or somene tresspass on my property, and call the cops. Don't the police need to identify the suspect?

Old 01-26-2012, 08:12 AM

738 posts, read 933,628 times
In Ohio we have checkpoints. I have been stopped, with all other drivers, for seatbelt checks. We have also had them for impaired driving. They usually get a few for outstanding warrants on these stops. It only takes a few seconds. You hand them your license, they say they are checking for seatbelts, hand it back, and say "have a nice day." If you don't have a license I am sure you are told to pull over and it is checked out.

As to having an ID on your person. Years ago I had to carry my draft card at all times. It too was no big deal. You put it in your wallet and forget about it.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:48 AM

10,099 posts, read 10,683,830 times
Quote:
Poll: Majority of voters favor local police checking immigration status

Of course they do.

In responding to the next question, 69% of them replied, "Of course, that doesn't apply to me because I'm white."

Old 01-26-2012, 08:51 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,600,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

Of course they do.

In responding to the next question, 69% of them replied, "Of course, that doesn't apply to me because I'm white."
Just a little chip on that shoulder, huh?

Old 01-26-2012, 09:33 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,195,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

Of course they do.

I hope you were just being sarcastic otherwise you are just pulling the race card. All are stopped for speeding, seat belts checks, sobriety checks, etc. regardless of race or ethnic makeup. As for immigration checks that only happens if one doesn't have a valid ID/DL regardless of who you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or