Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 12:40 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,531,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
The 4th amendment says otherwise.

Man that pesky thing called the Constitution.
It certainly isn't in the Constitution that millions of foreigners can thumb their noses at the laws of this country and just come in illegally and do whatever the hell they please.

We are the only country in the world that has such lax enforcement of immigration laws and borders that also makes it possible for those coming here to give birth to both jump onto the welfare handouts and demand their legal status. No other country takes in as many legal immigrants yet that's not good enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 10:03 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,170,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It certainly isn't in the Constitution that millions of foreigners can thumb their noses at the laws of this country and just come in illegally and do whatever the hell they please.

We are the only country in the world that has such lax enforcement of immigration laws and borders that also makes it possible for those coming here to give birth to both jump onto the welfare handouts and demand their legal status. No other country takes in as many legal immigrants yet that's not good enough.
And not surprisingly we are also the most abused.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:53 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,325,909 times
Quote:
The 4th amendment says otherwise.

Man that pesky thing called the Constitution.

If I'm stopped for speeding the officer will run my background to see if I have any outstanding warrants. How is this any different?

Old 01-24-2012, 03:04 PM

1,486 posts, read 2,378,824 times
Most other countries in the world the police can ask for your passport or resident alien registration card.

Here all the cop has to do is hold the person on a criminal charge (traffic violations included) and inform ICE if they choose to send and agent they will if not the person has to be released.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:25 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,517,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
If I'm stopped for speeding the officer will run my background to see if I have any outstanding warrants. How is this any different?
It isn't; and it happens routinely without organized protests, lawsuits by the DOJ, or opposition from the ACLU. Apparently only illegals should be exempt from questioning, or be required to produce a valid form of ID. After all, to require such from them is a vile form of racism.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:33 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,285,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
It isn't; and it happens routinely without organized protests, lawsuits by the DOJ, or opposition from the ACLU. Apparently only illegals should be exempt from questioning, or be required to produce a valid form of ID. After all, to require such from them is a vile form of racism.
Not only that but those who are defenders of them and that are ethnically like the majority of illegals do the same thing. They scream racial profiling and make all kinds of false accusations of LE for just doing their routine jobs. Their agenda is to protect illegals from detection. We weren't born yesterday.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:08 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,266,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Because he is not searching your persons or property. You should take a moment to read the bill of rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Most other countries in the world the police can ask for your passport or resident alien registration card.
Most other countries don't have something called the US constitution. Seems like some Americans hate it .

Old 01-24-2012, 06:17 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,285,068 times
Quote:
Because he is not searching your persons or property. You should take a moment to read the bill of rights.

Most other countries don't have something called the US constitution. Seems like some Americans hate it .
So where is this unlawful searching going on? To want our immigration laws enforced is unconstitutional?

Old 01-24-2012, 06:29 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,070,320 times
Quote:
You might try understanding what the 4th Amendment protects vs thinking that it denies the asking or verification of identity.
Quote:
As a general principle, citizens who are minding their own business are not obligated to "show their papers" to police. In fact, there is no federal law requiring citizens to carry identification of any kind.

Nonetheless, carrying an ID is required when you're driving or flying. Driving without a license is a crime, and no one is allowed to board an airplane without first presenting proper identification. These requirements have been upheld on the premise that individuals who prefer not to carry ID can choose not to drive or fly.

From here, ID laws only get more complicated. In Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada, the Supreme Court upheld state laws requiring citizens to disclose their identity to police when officers have reasonable suspicion to believe criminal activity may be taking place. Commonly known as "stop and identify" statutes, these laws permit police to arrest criminal suspects who refuse to identify themselves.
You would do better to argue "self incrimination" form the 5th Amendment.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 01-24-2012 at 06:49 PM..

Old 01-24-2012, 07:55 PM

1,486 posts, read 2,378,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
You might try understanding what the 4th Amendment protects vs thinking that it denies the asking or verification of identity.
You would do better to argue "self incrimination" form the 5th Amendment.
That is what I was trying to say. Asking for ID isn't a search of the person.

However now I feel bad because I lived in Spain for many years and never read their constitution. I am now convinced that if you plan to reside in a foreign country for a period of time of more than three months it would probably be a good idea to glance at their constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration