U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2012, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028

Advertisements

Quote:
The Ann Arbor City Council weighed in on the national debate over immigration policy Monday night, passing a resolution opposing increased federal enforcement.

The issue of immigration hit home for council members last month when Lourdes Salazar Bautista, a long-term Ann Arbor resident and a mother of three, made an emotional plea before the council, asking for help to stop her deportation. Days later, it was announced her deportation was postponed one year through deferred action.
Ann Arbor officials voice opposition to deportation of undocumented immigrants with ties to community

I wonder if similar resolutions will be passed to "defer" action against citizens who violate our laws. After all, shouldn't we also "preserve" citizen families? Don't our homegrown criminals also have "ties" to the community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2012, 12:29 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687
That just drives me bananas. Maybe if they can show me just one illegal who hasn't done more than just cross the border illegally.

That means they aren't working, aren't driving, aren't in school etc. That tired lie that all they did was cross is just that, a lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 01:10 PM
 
791 posts, read 354,082 times
Reputation: 141
11 Council members, 10 Democrats, 1 Independent

The vote was 9-2...

Go figure...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 06:02 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Ann Arbor officials voice opposition to deportation of undocumented immigrants with ties to community

I wonder if similar resolutions will be passed to "defer" action against citizens who violate our laws. After all, shouldn't we also "preserve" citizen families? Don't our homegrown criminals also have "ties" to the community?
I'd like to see a defender of illegal aliens reply to this post. I won't hold my breath though. So this kind of nonsense is happening in my home state of Michigan now? I think many of our citizens are mentally starting to fall prey to the "Invasion of the body snatchers". They've lost all rational thought process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 07:22 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,282,218 times
Reputation: 5895
Time for the Feds to check out Ann Arbor for immigration violations. Should be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 09:49 PM
 
791 posts, read 354,082 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Time for the Feds to check out Ann Arbor for immigration violations. Should be interesting.
Eric Holder?? Hell, he'd wait tables for them!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 12:48 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Ann Arbor officials voice opposition to deportation of undocumented immigrants with ties to community

I wonder if similar resolutions will be passed to "defer" action against citizens who violate our laws. After all, shouldn't we also "preserve" citizen families? Don't our homegrown criminals also have "ties" to the community?
Punishments are based on the level of crime are payed accordingly either with time served or a fine. It does not seem like she had a criminal record or she would have been sent to prison or her deportation would have proceeded.

There is no comparison. I am not for letting murderers go free to walk our streets without paying for their crime and yet, it happens in our society. I could careless if the murderer is a citizen, authorized or illegal immigrant with ties to the community. Those types of crimes must be served in prison. I would be concerned for the safety of the "preserved" citizen family. An illegal immigrant without a criminal background is not a threat to its own family.

Your post makes no sense. You can argue that she is here in violation of the law and you disagree with ICE's decision to stop deportation but your argument is flawed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Punishments are based on the level of crime are payed accordingly either with time served or a fine. It does not seem like she had a criminal record or she would have been sent to prison or her deportation would have proceeded.

There is no comparison. I am not for letting murderers go free to walk our streets without paying for their crime and yet, it happens in our society. I could careless if the murderer is a citizen, authorized or illegal immigrant with ties to the community. Those types of crimes must be served in prison. I would be concerned for the safety of the "preserved" citizen family. An illegal immigrant without a criminal background is not a threat to its own family.

Your post makes no sense. You can argue that she is here in violation of the law and you disagree with ICE's decision to stop deportation but your argument is flawed.
She is an illegal alien who had deportation orders. But, as usual, she managed to exploit her children to remain here. Yet, pro-illegals still deny the fact that illegals use their children to "anchor" themselves to this country. If not for her children, she couldn't have whined about the "preservation" of her family, could she?

Please share your info on this woman's otherwise "law-abiding" status. Does she work? If so, how is she working without either using a stolen SSN (theft=criminal offense), a fake SSN (fraud=criminal offense), or is working under the table (tax evasion=criminal offense). For that matter, how do we even know that she, like countless others, hasn't been using an alias? As far as we know, she could be a convicted felon, or entered this country to avoid prosecution for crimes committed in her homeland. Your assumption that she is guiltless is what is "flawed."

Do you think they would consider passing a resolution to protect citizen thieves, fraudsters, or tax evaders who had managed to "long-term" evade law enforcement? Of course not! The mere notion is ridiculous, as is this. She should be deported. And, she can take her children with her. That way, the family unit will remain intact. It will also be a savings for taxpayers, who no doubt, have been footing the bills for her three children even prior to their birth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 03:17 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
She is an illegal alien who had deportation orders. But, as usual, she managed to exploit her children to remain here. Yet, pro-illegals still deny the fact that illegals use their children to "anchor" themselves to this country. If not for her children, she couldn't have whined about the "preservation" of her family, could she?

Please share your info on this woman's otherwise "law-abiding" status. Does she work? If so, how is she working without either using a stolen SSN (theft=criminal offense), a fake SSN (fraud=criminal offense), or is working under the table (tax evasion=criminal offense). For that matter, how do we even know that she, like countless others, hasn't been using an alias? As far as we know, she could be a convicted felon, or entered this country to avoid prosecution for crimes committed in her homeland. Your assumption that she is guiltless is what is "flawed."

Do you think they would consider passing a resolution to protect citizen thieves, fraudsters, or tax evaders who had managed to "long-term" evade law enforcement? Of course not! The mere notion is ridiculous, as is this. She should be deported. And, she can take her children with her. That way, the family unit will remain intact. It will also be a savings for taxpayers, who no doubt, have been footing the bills for her three children even prior to their birth.
What tax evasion? Do we know if she signed any papers when and if she works? I know American citizens who do not pay any taxes at all and it is perfectly legal. I do not believe it is right. I think everyone needs to pay for the roads, schools, etc but it is perfectly legal. Therefore, it is wrong to assume that because she is here illegally that she criminalized due to tax evasion.

If she had committed crimes in her homeland, ICE would have investigated that by now. After all, they are aware she is here illegally and if her deportation was moved for another year, ICE knows her real identity.

There are always exceptions to the law and that is where ICE comes in. I am sure you are aware that there are exceptions to laws. This lady was able to stay for a year because of an "exception". It does not mean she has become legal. So, I fail to see your point. But as usual, you are one sided.

Have a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 03:23 AM
 
Location: SWUS
5,414 posts, read 7,626,771 times
Reputation: 5781
Jeez... yes, keep laws from being enforced. But hey, they didn't say that they WEREN'T gonna deport her. The benefit to her is that now she has another year to get her house in order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top