U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 05:56 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,958,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Gingrich Says DREAM Act With Military Aspect OK | Fox News

But, those non-citizens are not being rewarded for violating our laws. In fact, they are required to be lawfully present.

Citizenship Requirements for Enlistment
Gingrich also says that if an illegal can manage to break the laws for just 25 years -- which is obviously not at all difficult since the government isn't enforcing the laws -- he's going to give them amnesty.

All those grandparents he mentions -- they want their American social security checks after all. And his amnesty works out great for them.

Yep -- just thumb your nose at American laws for 25 year and you're in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 08:07 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,192,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
The real question might be if Newt would actually be any better than Obama on illegal immigration...
Probably not from what he has said at the debates. However, I think Gingrich would be better on most other issues. I don't like him and hope that he doesn't get the nomination though.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Gingrich also says that if an illegal can manage to break the laws for just 25 years -- which is obviously not at all difficult since the government isn't enforcing the laws -- he's going to give them amnesty.

All those grandparents he mentions -- they want their American social security checks after all. And his amnesty works out great for them.

Yep -- just thumb your nose at American laws for 25 year and you're in!
Another thing that grinded me about Gingrich is him calling Romney anti-immigrant. He used the defenders of illegal aliens usual spin and lies. When Romney confronted him on that Gingrich said Romney would pull seniors who have been here for years illegally out of their homes and deport them. Even if that were true (but I doubt it would be) how does that make Romney anti-immigrant?

Old 01-27-2012, 08:48 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,600,237 times
Like I've said before: just because you are in the US military does not mean that you are doing it because you have some allegiance to the US. Also, the other problem with this is that not ALL military jobs require some gung-ho, life-on-the-line commitment. What happens when the illegal immigrant gets a non-combative job in the military? What happens when he or she is nothing but another person to fill in a spot on a base? How easy is that for the illegal immigrant? What a nice deal, they get an easy job AND they get the unearned-honor of having been in the US military. Being in the US military is something that only LEGAL residents and immigrants should be able to experience. Imagine all of the resources and benefits that will be available to this illegal immigrant WHILE in the military and AFTERWARDS?

Not only does he or she get a path to citizenship, but what else are they going to get? Medical care? Are they also going to get the VETERAN-PREFERENCE for federal jobs once they get out (when applying for a job, you can check if you are a veteran or not)? Will they get GI Bills and other educational assistance?

Do we not see a problem here? Giving REWARDS to illegal immigrants only keeps the funding rolling, it only latches them onto our government even more, to taxpayers, to those who work to support the country.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Like I've said before: just because you are in the US military does not mean that you are doing it because you have some allegiance to the US. Also, the other problem with this is that not ALL military jobs require some gung-ho, life-on-the-line commitment. What happens when the illegal immigrant gets a non-combative job in the military? What happens when he or she is nothing but another person to fill in a spot on a base? How easy is that for the illegal immigrant? What a nice deal, they get an easy job AND they get the unearned-honor of having been in the US military. Being in the US military is something that only LEGAL residents and immigrants should be able to experience. Imagine all of the resources and benefits that will be available to this illegal immigrant WHILE in the military and AFTERWARDS?

Not only does he or she get a path to citizenship, but what else are they going to get? Medical care? Are they also going to get the VETERAN-PREFERENCE for federal jobs once they get out (when applying for a job, you can check if you are a veteran or not)? Will they get GI Bills and other educational assistance?

Do we not see a problem here? Giving REWARDS to illegal immigrants only keeps the funding rolling, it only latches them onto our government even more, to taxpayers, to those who work to support the country.
I so agree with you and with millions going to be cut from our defense budget in the next five years along with 100,000 troops what jobs are left in the military should go to Americans anyway.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Gingrich Says DREAM Act With Military Aspect OK | Fox News

But, those non-citizens are not being rewarded for violating our laws. In fact, they are required to be lawfully present.

Citizenship Requirements for Enlistment
Gingrich makes me want to puke. He's trying to play both sides of this issue.

Illegals already have the opportunity to come here legally -- they can do it just like others from their countries and come in with the military option. They were never denied that chance, they simply didn't choose to use it and instead break any law that inconveniences them.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:

Very true and there are problems in the military now with gangs and unsuitable types just because of these kinds of policies.

Illegals will see the military as just another free ride. Entire families will be brought in and live off taxpayer handouts just because one member is an army cook.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:26 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,030,390 times
Quote:

Paraphrased: Upon seeing a Marine in dress uniform, YOu have to ask whether he was a "cook" to know if YOu can respect him. I served with many fine Filipinos, it didn't matter to me for the nationality of my Brothers (and Sisters) in Arms. Nor the job that they did.

To ALL Veterans and current military, Thank YOu for YOur service to our great country, from me...

Old 01-28-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Paraphrased: Upon seeing a Marine in dress uniform, YOu have to ask whether he was a "cook" to know if YOu can respect him. I served with many fine Filipinos, it didn't matter to me for the nationality of my Brothers (and Sisters) in Arms. Nor the job that they did.

To ALL Veterans and current military, Thank YOu for YOur service to our great country, from me...
Hopefully most of our veterans and current military personnel respect our immigration laws and take our own soveirgn borders seriously and are appalled by the illegal invasion of our country. If not, then I think they would be hypocrites.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:18 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,600,237 times
Quote:

You are blowing what I said WAY out of porportion, but that is typical of you to try that. You really tried to twist this, but we are talking about how there will be illegal immigrants who will benefit greatly from doing something ONLY because they know it is their only option.

Of course I would not "look" at a Marine and question what his responsibility was to decide if I can respect him or her or not.

Also, once again, YOU brought up nationality and even ethnicity (Filipino). I specificially said that just because you join the military does not mean you have some allegiance to a country; that allegiance is what all of these people have been said will be shown by illegal immigrants if they join the US military. I am saying that that is not true and that because of that, people who only look at joining the military as a way to get what THEY want will fool the government once again.

It goes back to the "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."

Also, my brother was a "cook" (which you decided to mention in this conversation and incorrectly quoted it as if I had said it) in the Army.

The reality and point is that there are a lot of people who join the military simply because they have no other choice or they want to get something out of it under than serving the country. If an illegal immigrant is not only doing that and also getting more and more assistance from the government as a military member, isn't that a better deal for the illegal immigrant than the other way around? You know that there will be MANY illegal immigrants who DO get a cushy job in the military and ALSO get rewarded with tons of benefits and then citizenship.

My opinion about this is in relation to illegal immigrants. A legal resident and/or citizen of the United States should have the right to join the military unquestioned. No one can question what job they got or their allegiance, but when you have someone who is obviously joining the military just to receive their end of the deal, that makes you scratch your head. It just feels like they got a really good deal and everyone elsegets what? Another reward for illegal immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration