U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2012, 04:15 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A company with a troubled past and millions of dollars in Triad-area construction contracts was fined more than $400,000 by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement last year.

Triangle has a long record of public construction projects in North Carolina, at least partly because it frequently is a low bidder, government documents show. State law requires agencies to accept the lowest qualified bidder, and the same rules apply to cities.
Company with Winston-Salem, state contracts fined $400,000 by federal immigration officials | JournalNow.com

Another measly slap on the wrist. A $400,000 fine to this company is merely petty cash. This is why OhBeehave and other legitimate contractors can't compete. No doubt, this will be another enforcement "progress" for the government to tout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 05:11 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Company with Winston-Salem, state contracts fined $400,000 by federal immigration officials | JournalNow.com

Another measly slap on the wrist. A $400,000 fine to this company is merely petty cash. This is why OhBeehave and other legitimate contractors can't compete. No doubt, this will be another enforcement "progress" for the government to tout.
I wonder what happened to their illegal workers? Were they just released to go and look for another American job to take? Did they become part of the defacto amnesty that Obama implimented for those who have no "criminal" record? I see that the company was providing fake documents for these illegals to work. So I guess that makes the illegals innocent then?

Old 01-27-2012, 08:09 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

True. This company should be made to pay back any state money given it.

How unfair that it could underbid honest businesses because it hired cheap illegals instead of hiring American citizens.

It should be $400,000 for every illegal hired.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:21 AM

8,743 posts, read 5,549,980 times
This what the founder of the company said:

Quote:
Gough said, "We rely even more so than we realize on the labor of immigrants, even more so undocumented immigrants
I think he meant to say was:

We rely even more so than we realize on the labor of immigrants, even more so undocumented immigrants...........because we don't have to pay them minimum wage, we don't have to provide benefits, we don't have to pay taxes, don't have to insure them, don't have to pay unemployment insurance, social security, etc., they don't complain about working under sub-standard conditions, we can purchase cheaper and poor quality materials, and best of all they are cheap labor. Now what American would accept those conditions??

Old 01-28-2012, 10:28 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
This what the founder of the company said:

I think he meant to say was:

We rely even more so than we realize on the labor of immigrants, even more so undocumented immigrants...........because we don't have to pay them minimum wage, we don't have to provide benefits, we don't have to pay taxes, don't have to insure them, don't have to pay unemployment insurance, social security, etc., they don't complain about working under sub-standard conditions, we can purchase cheaper and poor quality materials, and best of all they are cheap labor. Now what American would accept those conditions??
Yes -- it was an incredible advantage to this company that they could bring in illegals who didn't expect even minimum kind of health insurance coverage or workman's comp but would be given free health care regardless from the taxpayers.

These companies are run by scumbags and it's no loss if they are shutdown and the honest businesses replace them.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:36 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I wonder what happened to their illegal workers? Were they just released to go and look for another American job to take? Did they become part of the defacto amnesty that Obama implimented for those who have no "criminal" record? I see that the company was providing fake documents for these illegals to work. So I guess that makes the illegals innocent then?
I think it's safe to assume the illegal workers have escaped punishment, even if they were caught using fake or stolen IDs. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they have all been issued work permits. Thanks to the idiotic Supreme Court ruling, as long as they weren't using the IDs with nefarious intent, no "crime" has been committed. After all, they can't get a SSN legally due to our "unfair" laws. So, these "otherwise law-abiding" are "forced" to resort to theft and fraud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or