U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2012, 11:45 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I agree that the remarks comments to the press were, well, full of nerve. However, if I'm guessing right, considering the fact that he's still relatively young and graduated from college, I'm guessing he's been here a while, which means that he probably came over with his parents.

I generally favor stricter enforcement of immigration laws through e-verify, but I don't know...I think there needs to be some sort of remedy for children who come here illegally at an early age and grow up here. They're pretty much Americanized after a while, and it's not fair to just send them back. Ideally, illegals would be caught early and repatriated immediately, but it doesn't happen like that always. And what do we do to people who've come to call America 'home'? I think if they've led a clean life here they should be rewarded with citizenship - in these special cases, but not all.
Like always, the devil is in the details. The pro-illegals don't ask for something reasonable, they are demanding something absurd. Smuggle in a kid before he's 16 and in two years he's given college or trade school and citizenship and can start sponsoring all kinds of family members. The insistence that all it would require is obtaining a GED is also absurd.

The pro-illegals wouldn't accept something that limited this to kids who were smuggled in before age ten only and whose parents would be deported for being here illegally and unable to be sponsored by these kids.

The whole goal is to circumvent the immigration laws, get any child smuggled in quick easy citizenship and the whole sponsoring of family members can begin. True, the illegals who got here in time to give birth "luck out" with citizen anchor babies and these parents who smuggled older children in didn't, but what about those illegals who have no kids to exploit? They get deported because they didn't have kids to use as anchors or smuggle in?

There are illegals who left their kids back home precisely because they cared too much about them to turn them over to the criminal smugglers and risk their lives and safety. Why reward the more horrendous parents who put their kids at risk just for their big love of US money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2012, 06:34 AM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Their humans, not UPS packages.
They're humans, not UPS packages, yes. Humans are capable of following the law AND they're capable of getting in trouble for breaking the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 06:36 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Maybe in your state but not here in Texas. Whites became a minority in 2010 only they are not called "minority". The term is majority-minority.
Same here in California. Part of the reason is because we have so many illegals residing in our state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 08:56 AM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,465,796 times
Reputation: 3223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
They're humans, not UPS packages, yes. Humans are capable of following the law AND they're capable of getting in trouble for breaking the law.
You're right, they should have run back across the desert to Mexico by themselves at the age of 13.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Their humans, not UPS packages.
Please quote where I even remotely implied that illegal aliens are not human, and are UPS packages. I'll wait.

Our prisons are full of "humans" because human beings do not always obey the law. And, when they choose not to, there are consequences. Unfortunately, the consequences do not only impact the offender. Rather, they wreak havoc for the offender's spouse, children, etc. That's the way it is. But, there's a simple solution: Do not live outside the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
You're right, they should have run back across the desert to Mexico by themselves at the age of 13.
Sorry, but "Dreamies" are adults, not 13-year-old kids. As such, they are responsible for their behavior, which often includes theft and fraud. . . just like their parents. You still haven't explained why we owe them subsidized tuition and legalization. And, please don't say because they're human. We know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 12:23 PM
 
Location: California
884 posts, read 584,962 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I generally favor stricter enforcement of immigration laws through e-verify, but I don't know...I think there needs to be some sort of remedy for children who come here illegally at an early age and grow up here. They're pretty much Americanized after a while, and it's not fair to just send them back. Ideally, illegals would be caught early and repatriated immediately, but it doesn't happen like that always. And what do we do to people who've come to call America 'home'? I think if they've led a clean life here they should be rewarded with citizenship - in these special cases, but not all.
I have a remedy for you chicken. Since you think it is unfair to just send them back, why don't you take care of them? Why don't you feed and clothe them? And while your at it, put a roof over their heads as well. I am painfully reminded every payday by the ideology's of your ilk. You must know the type of benefits that are given to illegals upon arrival, Don't you? Where do you think that money comes from?

Is there an atm machine at our borders that I haven't heard of? Surely you must know who pays for those benefits. Daily I am astounded at the audacity of some people who think it is "unfair" and that it is our responsibility. It must be nice spending other people's money, isn't it?

Your beautifully worded oxymoron stating if an illegal leads a "clean life" here they should be rewarded. If i may postulate your definition of a "clean life" to mean following the laws, paying taxes etc etc, then anyone coming here illegally has failed from the start.

Spare me the bleeding heart "they just want a better life B.S." I ran out of blood after the last five million entered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 02:11 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,465,796 times
Reputation: 3223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmycountry View Post
I have a remedy for you chicken. Since you think it is unfair to just send them back, why don't you take care of them? Why don't you feed and clothe them? And while your at it, put a roof over their heads as well. I am painfully reminded every payday by the ideology's of your ilk. You must know the type of benefits that are given to illegals upon arrival, Don't you? Where do you think that money comes from?

Is there an atm machine at our borders that I haven't heard of? Surely you must know who pays for those benefits. Daily I am astounded at the audacity of some people who think it is "unfair" and that it is our responsibility. It must be nice spending other people's money, isn't it?
Calm down, mate. You're likely to have an aneurysm before we even get to the 4th page on this thread.

Re: your snarling rant above, I don't think it's really necessary for me to take care of anyone. They seem quite willing to take care of themselves. All I'm saying is that it might not be a bad thing for us to allow someone who came here - albeit illegally - at the age of 10 or 11 and otherwise grown up here as a Latino-American to continue becoming more and more American. I think there's a difference between a child who comes here not entirely by their own choice and a 19-year-adult who does the same on his own volition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmycountry View Post
Your beautifully worded oxymoron stating if an illegal leads a "clean life" here they should be rewarded. If i may postulate your definition of a "clean life" to mean following the laws, paying taxes etc etc, then anyone coming here illegally has failed from the start.

Spare me the bleeding heart "they just want a better life B.S." I ran out of blood after the last five million entered.
Blood, or compassion? You just seem angry. I'm sorry for that, whatever its source may be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 02:19 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,465,796 times
Reputation: 3223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Sorry, but "Dreamies" are adults, not 13-year-old kids. As such, they are responsible for their behavior, which often includes theft and fraud. . . just like their parents. You still haven't explained why we owe them subsidized tuition and legalization. And, please don't say because they're human. We know that.
Yes, but the reality is that there are illegals who come here as children, grow up here, and make this the only home they've ever really known and cared for. I don't see why they should be automatically deported. It could be argued that they didn't even knowingly violate immigration laws, given their age and lack of maturity (in many cases).

I'm not saying that each and every one of these children ought to be allowed to stay, either. But the law isn't always fair or even wise, and I think there may be cases where we might want to make exceptions and allow some who are technically 'illegal' to stay.

The guy who was interviewed in the article, for instance...a college graduate and probably someone who could easily be productive and contribute in some way to society here. It makes no sense to send him back to a country he doesn't even know versus keeping him here in a place he knows as well as anyone one of us.

I think anyone who would seriously advocate this 'law is the law is the law' approach in any and all circumstances -- to the point of arguing against any sort of meaningful immigration reform -- isn't really just anti-illegal immigration but anti-immigration and just doesn't have the balls or integrity to admit it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 02:21 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,465,796 times
Reputation: 3223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Please quote where I even remotely implied that illegal aliens are not human, and are UPS packages. I'll wait.

Our prisons are full of "humans" because human beings do not always obey the law. And, when they choose not to, there are consequences. Unfortunately, the consequences do not only impact the offender. Rather, they wreak havoc for the offender's spouse, children, etc. That's the way it is. But, there's a simple solution: Do not live outside the law.
Yes, our prisons are full of humans guilty of all sorts of 'crimes'. We have the highest incarceration rate and largest prison population on earth. Not exactly the hallmark of a civilized, enlightened, Utopian society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top