U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What word do you prefer to use to refer to those who have crossed the border illegally, or overstaye
Illegal aliens 28 70.00%
Illegal immigrants 4 10.00%
Undocumented immigrants 1 2.50%
Persons without documents 0 0%
Unauthorized immigrants 0 0%
Immigrant without legal status 0 0%
Irregular immigrant 0 0%
Clandestine immigrant 0 0%
Out of staus immigrant 0 0%
Migrante sin documentos 1 2.50%
Migrante irregular 0 0%
Sans-papiers 0 0%
People living in the shadows 0 0%
Racist term (*******, sp*c, etc.) 1 2.50%
Other 5 12.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 10:43 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I meant to select "Other" and slipped...
Or, could it be that initially the message warning that it is NOT an anonymous poll did not appear? Then, Yac or another mod made the correction. So, when you voted "racist" you actually thought you could use that one vote as a springboard to launch attacks against the "racist" opponents of illegal immigration. But, it backfired.

How disappointing it must be for you to be the lone "racist" vote.

Last edited by Benicar; 02-04-2012 at 10:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 11:17 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Or, could it be that initially the message warning that it is NOT an anonymous poll did not appear? Then, Yac or another mod made the correction. So, when you voted "racist" you actually thought you could use that one vote as a springboard to launch attacks against the "racist" opponents of illegal immigration. But, it backfired.

I think we're all onto him. Or maybe he just missed the warning it was not an anonymous poll.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:29 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,855,551 times
The word criminal comes to mind.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:21 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,291,186 times
It really is such a non issue, because of the fact, no matter what word is determined to describe them, those that use such words, are condemend for using such words. In other words, we are the bad ones.

Illegal ailen is what i use, but no matter what word is used, the media gets on our case for doing so. Really something so screwed up about this picture.

So if we start calling them really really nice names! does this mean they will not continue to come into this Country illegally? didn't think so.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:29 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

And that of course "backfired" when my first post on the poll results was to give the correction?...

Old 02-04-2012, 02:33 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
"other"...

Incriminating, heh...
Dodging the question again? You're very predictable. You know darned well in conversation talking about illegal aliens you don't call them "other".

Old 02-04-2012, 03:37 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
I call them illegals. The one word sums it up. Illegal or criminal. Unlawful or without permission. Intruder or tresspasser. Taker or abuser. Any of these words sum up the illegal. Any of them can be used to describe an Illegal alien. Whatever redeeming qualities an illegal may have are over shadowed by the fact that they feel the rule of law on applies to them when it is in their favor. Not at all different than any other criminal.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:46 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,291,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I call them illegals. The one word sums it up. Illegal or criminal. Unlawful or without permission. Intruder or tresspasser. Taker or abuser. Any of these words sum up the illegal. Any of them can be used to describe an Illegal alien. Whatever redeeming qualities an illegal may have are over shadowed by the fact that they feel the rule of law on applies to them when it is in their favor. Not at all different than any other criminal.

Very true, and so well stated. You said it, whatever reddeming quality an illegal may have, are so over shadowed by the fact, they take this Country for granted, and that the rule of law does not pertain to them.

That is what angers so many Americans.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:40 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
And that of course "backfired" when my first post on the poll results was to give the correction?...
When I saw this thread on 2/2, you were one of the first few to vote. At that time, the warning did not appear at the beginning of the poll. But, I noticed the line under the numbers, so I clicked to see who had voted "racist." To my surprise, it was you. The thread was later corrected, and now prior to voting, the warning does appear. But, when you voted, absent the warning, you could not have realized you would be identified. If you voted in error, why did you wait so long (2/4) to post a correction? Why not immediately? But, you are not the topic of this thread, so I'll leave it at that.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:30 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,040 times
Quote:
I meant to select "Other" and slipped...

Was it YOu that visited my profile?...
What? LOL If I visited your profile it would say so. I have a background in web development. I know these things, lol, this message board software is very common. So, to answer your question: I'm not checking out your profile (you asked me as if you were paranoid or something, hehe). I don't recall doing that. I pretty much just read threads and post here, I rarely look at someone's profile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or