U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 05:31 AM

511 posts, read 1,989,169 times

Advertisements

Advocates for illegal aliens are always saying that if we make it too hard for them to work the immigrants will just get a job in the underground economy in off the books jobs. Interesting philosophy but I wonder if it would be that easy for them to make a living in the underground economy.

Near where I live we have hundreds of Hispanic Men standing along the street looking for day labor jobs. From what I can gather it seems like work is hard to come by because I see the same men standing at the same spot day after day. You would think it would be easier for them to work for a regular employer like McDonald's using some fake immigration documents where they could get a regular paycheck.

So, if the government made it nearly impossible for the illegal alien to work for a regular employer in a payroll job could they easily make the transition to the underground economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 07:36 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,745,541 times
Those are usually very recent arrivals that beg for jobs on the streets and in parking lots. Once they figure out the ropes, get some mamacita with kids to shack up with who has plenty of food stamps to go around, or their fraudulent social security number, they can stop with the day contractor jobs.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:21 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,822,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
Advocates for illegal aliens are always saying that if we make it too hard for them to work the immigrants will just get a job in the underground economy in off the books jobs. Interesting philosophy but I wonder if it would be that easy for them to make a living in the underground economy.

Near where I live we have hundreds of Hispanic Men standing along the street looking for day labor jobs. From what I can gather it seems like work is hard to come by because I see the same men standing at the same spot day after day. You would think it would be easier for them to work for a regular employer like McDonald's using some fake immigration documents where they could get a regular paycheck.

So, if the government made it nearly impossible for the illegal alien to work for a regular employer in a payroll job could they easily make the transition to the underground economy?
Pro-illegals use that excuse as justification for the status quo. They want illegals to continue to live here and work, even to the detriment of our country. We don't make it easy for citizens to circumvent our laws. Why should we accommodate illegals?

They work under the table, because our laws are not being enforced, and there is virtually no penalty when caught. If the government made E-Verify mandatory for ALL employers, and actually enforced the law, it would be very difficult to employ illegal aliens. Add to that, a mandatory forfeiture of assets, a felony offense, and a lengthy prison sentence for ALL convicted of employing illegals, both homeowners and companies, then, few would be stupid enough to employ them.

In addition, if all illegals convicted of using a stolen/fake SSN or working off the books also had to forfeit their ill-gotten gains and were immediately deported, with a lifetime ban; coupled with a secure border preventing their return, illegal employment would be virtually nonexistent. Of course, the government would also have to actually monitor visas to ensure compliance, given the percentage of visa overstays. They have the means, but lack the will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration