U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 02:49 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,878,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I'll have to disagree with you here. If we have a shortage of American enlistees we can implement the draft again. No way should those here in our country illegally whether their parents brought them here or not should they gain the priviledge of being in our military to gain legal status or citizenship.

I pointed out in other posts that there is a 5 year plan in place to cut defense spending by millions and to cut 100,000 troops. As Benicar asked what do we need illegals for?

I'm not disagreeing with Benecar. At this time we have no need for alien residents, including illegal aliens, in our military.

I do not believe in the draft for the US military, ever. I think we are better as a voluntary military and not a statist one. The draft blurs the line between the indentured servitude to the state (compulsory military service) and the free citizen, IMO, YMMV. This however, is a completely different topic having nothing to do with illegal immigration or the ARMS Act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 03:31 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,156,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I'm not disagreeing with Benecar. At this time we have no need for alien residents, including illegal aliens, in our military.

I do not believe in the draft for the US military, ever. I think we are better as a voluntary military and not a statist one. The draft blurs the line between the indentured servitude to the state (compulsory military service) and the free citizen, IMO, YMMV. This however, is a completely different topic having nothing to do with illegal immigration or the ARMS Act.
So stating that I would rather have the draft back (my opinion) if we have a shortage of recruits rather than allowing illegals to join the military to adjust their status is off topic? Hmm. The article itself mentions illegal aliens.
H.R. 3823: Adjusted Residency for Military Service Act

Last edited by chicagonut; 02-06-2012 at 03:41 PM..

Old 02-07-2012, 12:54 AM

29,988 posts, read 35,878,489 times
The ARMS Act: GOP Offers Immigrant Youth as Cheap Labor and Cannon Fodder | Common Dreams

http://colorlines.com/archives/2012/...dream_act.html

Old 02-07-2012, 02:06 AM

19,899 posts, read 15,300,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
And of course it will be considered inhumane to not allow their illegal parents to remain here also aka "separation of famlies". I think we are all smart enough to see the handwriting on the wall.

Yup! i think we all can see plain as day~where this is going. Rename it call it something different, we all know what it is.

Believe you me, the writing is more then on the wall, those that can't see it, don't want to see it!

Old 02-08-2012, 11:55 AM

3,951 posts, read 3,585,267 times
My question is how do new bills gain the ability to supersede federal laws? That's one thing I HATE about our system: a bill can pass and because it is written a certain way, people get away with doing things that they couldn't before the bill. So, then, you got long court cases to try and figure things out and everyone spends years trying to analyze semantics, schematics and stuff.

It's like Congress can just decide that it wants the country to go in THIS direction and all they have to do is get a bill passed without ANYONE else's input. I know that is our country and government, but geez it can be so ever-changing of our laws.

You'd think that Acts like this wouldn't even be allow to be written up and presented because they do threaten and attempt to supersede federal laws. And then to top it off, THE PEOPLE, don't even get a say in it. It's like, we put these Congressmen in office, but we don't really know what the hell they are going to try to pass years from now and they can just do it. I know that is elementary and basic U.S. politics, but still.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:22 AM

1,150 posts, read 991,688 times
We don't need illegal aliens in our military now, because the way the job market is, many young people see the military as their only option. Should the need ever arise, and illegal aliens are accepted in the military, any who were brought here by their parents at a young age, and who have been on the front lines, and is involved in actual fighting, should be given a fast track to citizenship. If they're willing to put their lives on the line for the country, I would say the least we can do is make it easier for them to become citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or