Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 03:05 PM

50,268 posts, read 47,023,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
It truly is the most ridiculous statement made by a pandering politician yet. On so many levels, illegal aliens are treated far better than American citizens. So much so it is beyond embarrrassing.
He makes it sound like there was no involvement by the 30 million illegals that came here as to the other crimes and immoral acts they've committed since crossing. No one is forcing them to have kids, put them in our schools, use welfare and other social services that weren't designed to be used by them. They voluntarily break laws like driving and @#$ well know what they are doing is wrong.

It's no scapegoat unless a scapegoat can be earned. If that is the case then they truly have earned their negative treatment.

wiki:
In modern usage a scapegoat may be a child, employee, peer, ethnic or religious group, or country singled out for unmerited negative treatment or blame

BTW I think our GOVT gets a lot more heat about this mess than the illegals themselves do.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:05 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
You got that wrong, Gingrich also went to bat for senior citizen Mexican criminal illegals with his sob story about illegal alien grandmothers that were here ILLEGALLY for 25 years.

And how they lived here ILLEGALLY for a quarter century and that they should not be deported.

Yes 2 1/2 decades of breaking numerous laws and Gingrich wants to reward them, obviously you didn't watch the debates.
I remember that. I didn't see that as pandering, more as being moderate. Just because someone isn't a fervent anti-immigrant doesn't mean they are Hispandering. There are mediums and a middle ground, as Ron Paul exhbits.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:08 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
He makes it sound like there was no involvement by the 30 million illegals that came here as to the other crimes and immoral acts they've committed since crossing. No one is forcing them to have kids, put them in our schools, use welfare and other social services that weren't designed to be used by them. They voluntarily break laws like driving and @#$ well know what they are doing is wrong.

No, Ron Paul never said any such thing. You are grasping and making your own inferences.

It's no scapegoat unless a scapegoat can be earned. If that is the case then they truly have earned their negative treatment.

wiki:
In modern usage a scapegoat may be a child, employee, peer, ethnic or religious group, or country singled out for unmerited negative treatment or blame

BTW I think our GOVT gets a lot more heat about this mess than the illegals themselves do.

Our governement should get a lot more heat but I don't think that is the actual case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I remember that. I didn't see that as pandering, more as being moderate. Just because someone isn't a fervent anti-immigrant doesn't mean they are Hispandering. There are mediums and a middle ground, as Ron Paul exhbits.

Anti-immigrant, really? No, no, no! This is about illegal immigrants.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Our governement should get a lot more heat but I don't think that is the actual case.
More States need to sue on the issue.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:

Anti-immigrant, really? No, no, no! This is about illegal immigrants.
So people don't want to curb legal immigration? That's not what I've been reading and hearing.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
So people don't want to curb legal immigration? That's not what I've been reading and hearing.
We want to curb it coming from all one Country.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We want to curb it coming from all one Country.
Like I said, it's not just illegally immigration people have a problem with.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:23 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
His comparison of illegal immigration in the U.S. to the treatment of Jews in Nazi Germany is right? Are we sending illegals to concentration camps to be exterminated? The mere notion of comparing such an atrocity to the coddling illegal aliens receive in this country is beyond ludicrous. Illegals receive the bashing they deserve. If they don't like the treatment, they are free to leave. Did the Jews have that choice?
Just because you don't actually kill Latinos doesn't mean that some of the comparisons aren't apt.

To be fair, I don't think Latinos are the only ones to be singled out. I think America is going through another anti-immigrant phase in its history, similar to what occurred in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:30 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
During one of the early debates. I'll see if I can find a video clip, it was before Bachmann dropped out, so before the Iowa primary.

End Illegal Immigration

RON PAUL - Illegal Immigration Video

As to "this occasion", IMO, it means little. I've already stated that the comparison was less than ideal. You can try to pick "gotcha" moments for any candidate but Ron Paul's message of removing welfare benefits and amnesty for illegals has been one of consistancy.

Throughout history different groups have been use as scapegoats. Ron Paul is pointing this out. We should be holding our government accountable for not enforcing its laws rather than making the historical mistake of using scapegoats. IMO, this is the point he was making. YMMV
I am aware of his previous stance on illegal immigration. However, he has clearly changed, as evidenced by his remarks in Nevada. It isn't a matter of having a "gotcha" moment. I don't support ANY candidate at this time, and therefore, have no dog in this fight. While he may have conveyed that message in the past, that was certainly not his message on "this occasion." In fact, at no time did he even allude to such.

Yes, there will always be scapegoats. But, our problems with illegal immigration are real, and the anger and frustration is justified. Illegals are not being used as scapegoats. They're certainly not being treated like Jews in Nazi Germany. His comparison was not only offensive, but it only serves to fan the flames that vilify all opponents of illegal immigration. He should be ashamed of himself, and should offer an apology and a retraction.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Like I said, it's not just illegally immigration people have a problem with.
No one has an issue with legal immigration or the numbers. Just the makeup of it. What makes the Mexicans so special?

Now back to illegal immigration where they dominate the majority of those sneaking here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration