U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 10:50 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,774 times

Advertisements

LOL Intended cheesy title. But, yes, I decided to do some reading online about E-Verify and thought it would be a good idea to create a thread that could compile all quickly-accessed info about E-Verify. As we all know, there are people who say that E-Verify could put a huge dent in illegal immigration and there are those who say it is inaccurate therefore unfair. Well, learning more about E-Verify can give us all an understanding of its place as an important option for greatly reducing illegal immigration.

In this thread, you will find links and texts about E-Verify. It could be documents used for E-Verify (that are publicly available) to give us a better look into how it is implemented, news about E-Verify, or updates.

For this first post, I'd like to link you all to the official internet home of E-Verify. There you can get basic understandings of E-Verify and see how easily available it is to access and then implement.

Department of Homeland Security - U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement - E-Verify : USCIS - E-Verify

So, the first basic thing to know is that E-Verify is ran by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency in collaboration with the Social Security Administration (SSA). Of course, many already knew this, but it is helpful to put it all into perspective when thinking about E-Verify, policy enforcements and illegal immigration.

As a special introductory feature for this thread, here is a link containing a video of what it is like when a SSA TNC (Social Security Administration Tentative Non-Confirmation) occurs as an employers runs a check on a possible employee and what happens after that TNC. Basically, it gives you an idea of what will happen when the information someone provides doesn't match up in E-Verify. As many of you know, an employee or potential employee is given information of who to contact to dispute the case, but they are not necessarily terminated from their job position.

USCIS - Video: How to Respond to a TNC

One last link for this first post: USCIS - Statement for the Record: E-Verify

Quote:
USCIS estimates one percent of all queried employees choose to contest an initial, tentative result from E-Verify showing that their work authorization could not be verified, and only half of those who contest that result are ultimately found to be authorized.
When an employee or potential employee is told that their information doesn't match-up in E-Verify, only 1% of those people choose to contest it in order to prove that they are legally able to work. Only 50% of that 1% end up being legally able to work. Very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 07:49 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Great thread. Thanks for posting it. The naysayers all like to downplay the effectiveness of e-verify and usually it is because they know it works but they have an agenda to keep illegal aliens employed here. I only wish that e-verify would include checking employees that are already hired.

I will try to find some more articles about e-verify and post them here.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:00 AM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Great thread. Thanks for posting it. The naysayers all like to downplay the effectiveness of e-verify and usually it is because they know it works but they have an agenda to keep illegal aliens employed here. I only wish that e-verify would include checking employees that are already hired.

I will try to find some more articles about e-verify and post them here.
Hey, no problem.

From what I know, there are certain situations when the SSA or the IRS will contact an employer to let them know that something doesn't match up with a person's SSN and name. That is why sometimes when someone has been working somewhere for a long time, all of a sudden they asked to come into the management office for a little discussion.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:05 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
It has been proven that E-Verify, while not 100% accurate, is one of the most effective tools available to curb illegal employment. Unfortunately, it won't necessarily catch illegals using a stolen SSN if they also steal the person's name. But, if an illegal uses their name while using a fake or stolen SSN, they should be easily detected. Of course, La Raza vehemently opposes E-Verify, because they claim it unfairly discriminates against Latino "immigrants." In other words, E-Verify will catch millions of Latino illegal aliens. And, we certainly can't have that, can we?

However, with Obama's recent appointment of Cecilia Munoz, the former La Raza V.P. and lobbyist to head Domestic Policies and Immigration Initiatives, I doubt E-Verify will ever become mandatory. Talk about the fox guarding the henhouse.

http://www.nclr.org/images/uploads/p...sfactsheet.pdf

Old 02-10-2012, 10:31 PM

12,172 posts, read 6,702,128 times
I had federal contracts and was required to use E-verify. It worked.

I'd expand it to include fingerprints and retina scans. If they can strip search grandma at the airport, randomly set up roadblocks, and monitor my email and phone calls, they can darn well stop the hire of illegals.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:41 PM

1,150 posts, read 991,320 times
E-Verify is very accurate. Where mistakes have been made it's usually women who've gotten married, and failed to change their surname with SS. Sometimes it's a clerical error, like a transposed number, or mispelling.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:32 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,290,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
E-Verify is very accurate. Where mistakes have been made it's usually women who've gotten married, and failed to change their surname with SS. Sometimes it's a clerical error, like a transposed number, or mispelling.
I'm gonna say that most illegal aliens are men which makes E-verify a bit easier to trust.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:45 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,052,880 times
We had to bring in docs to verify by a certain date. On that date 12 people quit showing up for work.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:56 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,293,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
It has been proven that E-Verify, while not 100% accurate, is one of the most effective tools available to curb illegal employment. Unfortunately, it won't necessarily catch illegals using a stolen SSN if they also steal the person's name. But, if an illegal uses their name while using a fake or stolen SSN, they should be easily detected. Of course, La Raza vehemently opposes E-Verify, because they claim it unfairly discriminates against Latino "immigrants." In other words, E-Verify will catch millions of Latino illegal aliens. And, we certainly can't have that, can we?

However, with Obama's recent appointment of Cecilia Munoz, the former La Raza V.P. and lobbyist to head Domestic Policies and Immigration Initiatives, I doubt E-Verify will ever become mandatory. Talk about the fox guarding the henhouse.

http://www.nclr.org/images/uploads/p...sfactsheet.pdf
I am thinking as you are. I too was wondering about the apointment of Cecilia Munoz, and is this going to effect the E-Verify initative.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:16 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I am thinking as you are. I too was wondering about the apointment of Cecilia Munoz, and is this going to effect the E-Verify initative.
Gee, do ya think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or