Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 12:07 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Too many Hispanics: American and alien, both legal and illegal; give aid and comfort to the drug cartels so if things went bad, those people would be hurt first. IF the cartel wars tried to suck in NON Hispanic Americans; the fallout would be bad since so many of us Americans would look at Hispanics as a group as traitors. It's called guilt by association. I think it's sad and scary but possible.

My grandparents on back had to deal with being treated bad cause they were Irish. Things change: Ellis Island was all but shut down so there was little fresh blood coming here to either help us or hurt us. Plus many of us of Irish family here in the US stopped drinking, fighting and basically became civilized. I'm quite glad the flow of Irish was slowed down cause it gave us some breathing room, otherwise instead of being in nice homes we'd still be in the tenements.

Irish of 1910 were like Mexicans of 2012; some were good but many were bad.
It's ironic that you mention the negative treatment of your grandparents for being Irish and then go on to suggest that most Irish immigrants were bad people. Further, you seem to have no problem with keeping that negative treatment alive, all based on stereotypical ideas.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:09 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Being that it's a nationalized system, Mexicans wouldn't necessarily pay higher taxes if Americans used it.

And again, the point wasn't that countries don't have a responsibility to help their own people, but that rich countries DO absolutely have poverty. You have repeatedly brought up obesity rates in the suggestion that no on in Mexico goes hungry. That is a mind-blowingly stupid idea.
Yes; some rich countries DO have poor people: we DON'T need more coming here, and we def DON'T need more coming here illegally.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Counting illegal aliens and their supporters: I'm guessing over 50 percent of Hispanics in the US are bad. Take away the illegals; most of our Hispanic Americans are probably good.
Bad in what way? They aren't causing more crime, as all levels of crime are at their lowest levels in 40 years. Murder isn't even a top 15 cause of death anymore. So in what measurable ways are they "bad" people?

Old 02-18-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
It's ironic that you mention the negative treatment of your grandparents for being Irish and then go on to suggest that most Irish immigrants were bad people. Further, you seem to have no problem with keeping that negative treatment alive, all based on stereotypical ideas.
I DO think that people who drink too much and who start fights over stupid stuff ARE bad people and I'll count some of my family as doing just that.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Which doesn't change that Mexico isn't poor and they still need to take care of their own instead of prodding their poor people to come to the US illegally.
You still are making the false claim that a rich country equates to rich citizens. It does not, at all. And again, at the individual level, if the help is not there, a person is still going to be in a desperate situation no matter how much a country's GDP is.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Bad in what way? They aren't causing more crime, as all levels of crime are at their lowest levels in 40 years. Murder isn't even a top 15 cause of death anymore. So in what measurable ways are they "bad" people?
ALL illegal aliens broke the law about being here and they all break many more laws to STAY here. That makes them bad news.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:14 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
How much lower it would be then if they were not here committing the crimes they do. Thank you for making a very good point. You asked in what way are they bad?
The question begs do good people create a life of fraud and lies? Do good people chose to live a life that requires them to violate law after law? Not any good people that I know. But good is obviously relative. For example some people might say that a guy is a good guy if he shares his wife, his drugs, or steals a gun for them. But hey as long your not the victim its all good right?

Old 02-18-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Yes; some rich countries DO have poor people: we DON'T need more coming here, and we def DON'T need more coming here illegally.
ALL countries have poor, and quite a bit of them, regardless of how wealthy the nation is. My argument is not that people SHOULD illegally immigrate or that the US has a responsibility to fix the world, only that there is reasoning behind individuals doing so, which was what this thread was basically about.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I DO think that people who drink too much and who start fights over stupid stuff ARE bad people and I'll count some of my family as doing just that.
Wow, way to go straight to the "Irish people are drunks". It's no wonder you have such simplistic views on Mexicans. You have them about your own ancestors.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
ALL illegal aliens broke the law about being here and they all break many more laws to STAY here. That makes them bad news.
I have run a stop light. When I was a kid I stole candy. Am I a bad person?

Do circumstances play absolutely no role in crimes? For example, if you kill someone for no reason, in your view is it the same as killing someone who breaks into your home? According to your logic above, any and all actions are at the same level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration