Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 09:51 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
gizmo: it's well known that MOST illegal aliens ARE from Latin American and most of them are from Mexico. Starvation isn't a problem in Latin America. So they can stay home and NOT have kids they won't raise right.
For the last time, how is that relevant to the OP, and when did they mention going from Mexico (or any specific country) to the US? I guess you guys just have one thing on the brain, which is why I rarely "set foot" in this ridiculous subforum.

Btw, did you notice I never argued with that fact? So why are you still trying to convince me of something I already know? I live in California and work in an agricultural region, so you don't need to tell me twice where most of our immigrants come from these days. I spend nearly every day helping immigrants from Mexico, most of whom are actually here legally (which would surprise those of you who assume anyone speaking Spanish is illegal). But again, that is NOT what the original post asked nor intended to discuss - and you all seem to have trouble grasping a hypothetical question.

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-15-2012 at 10:00 PM..

Old 02-15-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
This is ridiculous. MANY Mexicans are obese. They are not starving. Happy now?
Yes, that's better...

Quote:
It is not irrelevant to point out the facts of illegal immigration. If Mexicans do not want to be associated with illegals they should be condoning, supporting and ultimately being more than half of them.
How many of the LEGAL Mexican immigrants actually support them being here illegally? Most of the ones I know do not support that, in fact just recently my (American-born) Mexican co-worker was bitching about a known illegal family who frequents our library... she cares even more than I do, mostly because it gives people like you a reason to stereotype her. Where are you getting the idea that most of them support this?

But it's still irrelevant to this particular thread, since the OP was only asking a hypothetical question with no mention of where you/they might be coming from & going to - for all you know they're European, and were thinking of African immigrants when they posted.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post

There are way too many citizens in the US who go to bed starving. So the US really doesn't need illegal immigrants who are supposed to be starving taking from citizens who are already starving.

I haven't read where there is a famine going on in Mexico or any other South American country. I do know that people in Haiti are starving and living in refugee camps.
I know it's tough, but try to pay attention... I never said anything about Mexicans coming to the US, nor did the original poster. Ramble much?

Just to give it one more shot, let's go with your mention of Haiti - where people actually ARE starving. If you and your children were starving in Haiti and had a chance to enter Argentina illegally, would you take that risk? Why or why not?

Old 02-15-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Now we have people arguing over things that have nothing
to do with the first posted question and the thread.

Why can't people stay with the topic that was started ? ? ?
I'm trying to help you out with that, but talking to these people is like talking to a brick wall! Moving on now... and I would suggest you do the same, since it's futile to try holding a rational discussion on this board.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:53 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Yes. It would be a matter of immediate self-preservation which I think is a basic human instinct. But it would be only temporary. I would not:
  • Accept my illegal status and do nothing about it;
  • Demand that citizens and legal immigrants of the 'host' nation resolve my status for me;
  • Demand the rights and privileges that are reserved for citizens and legal immigrants of the 'host' nation;
  • Demand services and benefits from the government of the 'host' nation to which I am not entitled;
  • Use my illegal status to forego the responsibilities and obligations that would be due if I was a citizen or a legal immigrant of the 'host' nation;
  • Allow my children to continue the cycle of poverty and ignorance; and
  • Have the audacity and arrogance to argue and think that I belong here and that the government of the 'host' nation has no authority to deport me and execute efforts to do so.
[and I would not blatantly and proudly wave the flag of my home country, in turn insulting the 'host' country, because if it was that great then what am I doing here?]
The US would be the "host" country only if people obtain permission to be in the country or were invited to be in the country.

If one goes somewhere they were not invited then they would be a party crasher. No one likes a party crasher.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:40 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,289,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
The US would be the "host" country only if people obtain permission to be in the country or were invited to be in the country.

If one goes somewhere they were not invited then they would be a party crasher. No one likes a party crasher.
As long as businesses hire people, they are invited.

We have two signs at the border, one says stay out, the other says help wanted. Corporate America calls the shots in this country, and if they say the illegal immigrants can stay, they will stay.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:47 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
For the last time, how is that relevant to the OP, and when did they mention going from Mexico (or any specific country) to the US? I guess you guys just have one thing on the brain, which is why I rarely "set foot" in this ridiculous subforum.

Btw, did you notice I never argued with that fact? So why are you still trying to convince me of something I already know? I live in California and work in an agricultural region, so you don't need to tell me twice where most of our immigrants come from these days. I spend nearly every day helping immigrants from Mexico, most of whom are actually here legally (which would surprise those of you who assume anyone speaking Spanish is illegal). But again, that is NOT what the original post asked nor intended to discuss - and you all seem to have trouble grasping a hypothetical question.
Most illegal aliens DO come from LatAm so and cry how tough it is back home. Which is a lie since they don't starve there. Haiti is many times worse but water has a way of keeping most of them out of the US.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:51 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, that's better...

How many of the LEGAL Mexican immigrants actually support them being here illegally? Most of the ones I know do not support that, in fact just recently my (American-born) Mexican co-worker was bitching about a known illegal family who frequents our library... she cares even more than I do, mostly because it gives people like you a reason to stereotype her. Where are you getting the idea that most of them support this?

But it's still irrelevant to this particular thread, since the OP was only asking a hypothetical question with no mention of where you/they might be coming from & going to - for all you know they're European, and were thinking of African immigrants when they posted.
Your coworker isn't a Mexican, she's an American as you said and she has lots to lose with illegal aliens messing up her rep. I'd be mad as well. My family's from Ireland and if I knew of an illegal alien from Ireland, I'd call ICE. Just that I'm white so the cops won't think I'm a possible illegal alien like your Mexican American coworker.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Well no one is stupid enough to believe the illegals sneaking over the border are skin and bones starving to death.

Far more are claiming their cartel will get them and that's why they must break the laws of the USA.

A better question: If you owed your drug lord money and couldn't pay him, would you break the laws of the USA and come here illegally to escape what's coming to you?

Or another question: Your kids have more than enough to eat but want the newest iPods and big screen televisions and you don't want to work all that hard and would prefer having free health care, food stamps and WIC and Section 8 housing, would you come to the USA illegally to attain all that?

Old 02-16-2012, 08:20 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I choose to survive and advance.
By breaking laws and surviving at the expense of others? In the illegal alien world and their advocates the well-being of the citizens of this country are irrelevant to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration