Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 10:11 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,068,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You didn't answer honestly, just like most others didn't. Stepping up on the moral soapbox is a position you can have when you aren't desperate, and the question was clearly phrased in which you would be.
How are these people "desperate"? Many families sell land or possessions to pay for sending a member north, upwards of $3000 US (30,000$ Pesos) - $5000 US (50,000$ Pesos). They somehow have no problem coming up with that much money. Its already been shown on city data before that a family of 4 can live quite well on 24,000$ Pesos per year.

To be desperate as claimed it means one has dragged out as long as one could in one place before going to another, many of these people come as a "rite of passage". "I know it's dangerous": why Mexicans risk their lives to cross the border - Lynnaire Maria Sheridan - Google Books
or here For Mexicans Looking North, a New Calculus Favors Home - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com
Quote:
Here in the red-earth highlands of Jalisco, one of Mexico’s top three states for emigration over the past century, a new dynamic has emerged. For a typical rural family like the Orozcos, heading to El Norte without papers is no longer an inevitable rite of passage. Instead, their homes are filling up with returning relatives; older brothers who once crossed illegally are awaiting visas; and the youngest Orozcos are staying put.
I question how the OP can have a dialect based on a pre-supposed assumption that is in fact made up, and then how you can come in and claim people didn't answer honestly.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:11 AM

16,345 posts, read 17,965,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
A nice, tall fence with lots of guards with authority to use their weapons would stop most drugs coming into the US AND would keep MOST illegal aliens OUT.

Yeah, because cartels making billions of dollars on the drug trade would never find a way around a fence.

Most drugs are going to Europe from Mexico, NOT the US, today so you need to talk with the people there about your worries about Mexico.
Lol, okay. Whitney and Bobbi put Joaquin Guzman's children through college.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I won't go into Mexico. I'm not that stupid. Let Mexico clean up its own mess. They made their bed; let them sleep in it. We don't owe them a thing. Again, Mexico isn't poor, it's one of the richest countries in the world.
So you don't go to Mexico and have absolutely no idea what it's like here, but you're perfectly fine making claims about how people live and what the conditions are.

Makes total sense.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:12 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,833,748 times
Quote:
So then in fact you WOULD be an illegal immigrant under those conditions. Thanks, glad to see some honestly finally. Isn't it awesome how all of the moral posturing evaporates when simple luxuries like being able to eat go away.

And you brought up Haiti and asked why there aren't that many Haitian immigrants considering what a sh*thole their country is right now. You just answered your own question.
Then if I get arrested and thrown in jail from the cops for being here illegally, I'd deserve it. So I'd expect the same from any other illegal alien here.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:13 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,830,678 times
Quote:
Quit blaming Mexico's problems on what SOME American do In the US. It's the Mexican people killing other Mexicans in their country over drugs.
And notably some Americans within Mexico recently. With a tangible fear that such occurrences may happen more on this side of the border. Why would the cartels be involved with coming over here if it is strictly a Mexican issue?

Old 02-18-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
So you don't go to Mexico and have absolutely no idea what it's like here, but you're perfectly fine making claims about how people live and what the conditions are.

Makes total sense.
Not my problem. We have our own poor people here. Let Mexico man up and take care of its own place.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
And notably some Americans within Mexico recently. With a tangible fear that such occurrences may happen more on this side of the border. Why would the cartels be involved with coming over here if it is strictly a Mexican issue?
IBM: this I'll say: it wouldn't be wise for the cartels to NOT really start stuff here in the US. You think there's prejudice against Mexicans now: it'll get MUCH worse if the cartels act stupid and really start hassling Americans, especially anglos.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Lol, okay. Whitney and Bobbi put Joaquin Guzman's children through college.
And look what happened to Whitney. She died. Not the life I'd want.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
How are these people "desperate"? Many families sell land or possessions to pay for sending a member north, upwards of $3000 US (30,000$ Pesos) - $5000 US (50,000$ Pesos). They somehow have no problem coming up with that much money. Its already been shown on city data before that a family of 4 can live quite well on 24,000$ Pesos per year.

Again, it was a hypothetical and it wasn't about anyone else but what you would personally do given certain circumstances. This is not rocket science. Further, why are you ascribing actions that only some people can take but clearly doesn't apply to all, anyway?

To be desperate as claimed it means one has dragged out as long as one could in one place before going to another, many of these people come as a "rite of passage". "I know it's dangerous": why Mexicans risk their lives to cross the border - Lynnaire Maria Sheridan - Google Books
or here For Mexicans Looking North, a New Calculus Favors Home - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com I question how the OP can have a dialect based on a pre-supposed assumption that is in fact made up, and then how you can come in and claim people didn't answer honestly.
And there are two main reasons why Mexicans are moving back:
1. The economy tanked in the US.
2. Conditons in Mexico are gradually improving, giving fewer people less reason to immigrate in the first place, and more people reason to make a go of it in their home nation.

Economics was always the reason for illegal immigration.

That still has no bearing on the OP.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
And look what happened to Whitney. She died. Not the life I'd want.
Nor I, but all jokes aside, the US is by far the main consumer of illegal drugs from Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration