Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 12:19 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Wow, way to go straight to the "Irish people are drunks". It's no wonder you have such simplistic views on Mexicans. You have them about your own ancestors.
Irish people are drunks? Some, NOT all Irish people were drunks. And it was the truth. I do drink once in a while but I know when NOT to drink.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:22 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
How much lower it would be then if they were not here committing the crimes they do. Thank you for making a very good point
No. First, I think we all agree that the illegal population grew for the last few decades. It may have slowed down or stopped in places the last few years, but before that, it was a strong growth. If what you're suggesting is true, that illegals are causing a lot of crime and rates would be lower if they weren't here, how exactly do you reconcile a fast-growing illegal population with continuously falling crime rates? That makes absolutely no sense. Also, why would illegals go out of their way just to come here and commit crimes and draw attention to themselves, the opposite of what they would logically want?

Old 02-18-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Irish people are drunks? Some, NOT all Irish people were drunks. And it was the truth. I do drink once in a while but I know when NOT to drink.
You said that most Irish are bad people, and went on to say that they are bad because they drink too much and start fights. You didn't say some, you said most, and you clearly fully believe in that stereotype.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:35 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,096 times
Quote:
Counting illegal aliens and their supporters: I'm guessing over 50 percent of Hispanics in the US are bad. Take away the illegals; most of our Hispanic Americans are probably good.
By corollary YOu just called more than half of the Hispanics in the United States illegal aliens...

Old 02-18-2012, 12:37 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
No. First, I think we all agree that the illegal population grew for the last few decades. It may have slowed down or stopped in places the last few years, but before that, it was a strong growth. If what you're suggesting is true, that illegals are causing a lot of crime and rates would be lower if they weren't here, how exactly do you reconcile a fast-growing illegal population with continuously falling crime rates? That makes absolutely no sense. Also, why would illegals go out of their way just to come here and commit crimes and draw attention to themselves, the opposite of what they would logically want?
No.... What I suggest is that illegals do committ a variety of crimes. I suggest that there are victims. I suggest that if those illegals were never here then the victims of said crimes would also not be victims. In other words if we controled our borders many many victims would not have been made to suffer.
One thing this country does not need is more criminals. Every illegal is a criminal at least to some degree.
The difference between 911 and the people killed by illegals is that 911 has a lower death toll but happened on 1 day. How many illegals occupy our prisons for violent crimes? For killing someone while driving drunk? Rape? Murder? Drugs?
No not all illegals and not most do these crimes. But every victim is a person who deserved our fed to do their jobs. To make the claim that Illegals dont add to our crime rate is a misnomer at best or an blatent distortion of fact. Every crime committed by an illegal adds to our crime rate.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
No.... What I suggest is that illegals do committ a variety of crimes. I suggest that there are victims. I suggest that if those illegals were never here then the victims of said crimes would also not be victims. In other words if we controled our borders many many victims would not have been made to suffer.

This is the same terrible logic anti-abortion people use: "Abortion could be killing the next Lincoln", etc. The problem with this thinking is that it totally ignores the flip side. It could also prevent the next Hitler. With illegals, there have been instances where illegals stepped in and *prevented* crimes. Had they not been there, there would have been other victims. Either way, this is not a good argument for or against illegals.

One thing this country does not need is more criminals. Every illegal is a criminal at least to some degree.

Almost everyone on the planet is a criminal to some degree, you and I included. This is not a discussion on how many crimes people commit, but their motivation for committing them. I tend to think context is very important. Maybe you don't, but our legal system tends to agree.

The difference between 911 and the people killed by illegals is that 911 has a lower death toll but happened on 1 day. How many illegals occupy our prisons for violent crimes? For killing someone while driving drunk? Rape? Murder? Drugs?

I don't know, since it's your position, what are the numbers? What is the ratio of criminal acts with illegals compared to regular citizens?

No not all illegals and not most do these crimes. But every victim is a person who deserved our fed to do their jobs. To make the claim that Illegals dont add to our crime rate is a misnomer at best or an blatent distortion of fact. Every crime committed by an illegal adds to our crime rate.
Again, see above. That logic doesn't fly. And if illegals are adding to the crime rates, a growing illegal population should correlate to a growing crime rate. So far, it hasn't.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
By corollary YOu just called more than half of the Hispanics in the United States illegal aliens...
Do the math again.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Again, see above. That logic doesn't fly. And if illegals are adding to the crime rates, a growing illegal population should correlate to a growing crime rate. So far, it hasn't.
Which STILL leave all illegal aliens as NOT obeying the law by even being in the US.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:26 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
An eyeroll with accusations that I am lying? It is exactly as I have stated it. In one incident I knew it was against the express approval of the U.S. Department of State (they would probably agree with it now, in light of current events), but my Commanding Officer conducted a small meeting to dismiss that hindrance to the completion of our mission (there were no opposing opinions brought up among us), and we went in.

And that was a country we weren't even formally at war with...

No, there isn't a "valid visa" for the occasion, and if captured while illegally within a country, there could have been an end result of imprisonment or death...

It is a little bit more edgy to be illegally present in a country than what you have said...

Old 02-18-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Which STILL leave all illegal aliens as NOT obeying the law by even being in the US.
That goes without saying in an illegal immigration forum. That said, we are not discussing that aspect of the situation, and it seems like the repetitive nature of that argument is now just being thrown out when other lines of discussion are clearly lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration