U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-17-2012, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028

Advertisements

Quote:
Feb. 17 (Bloomberg) -- A Utah law requiring police to verify the immigration status of people arrested on felony charges violates the American Constitution and must be blocked, the U.S. Justice Department said.
Utah Immigration Laws Must Be Blocked, U.S. Tell Judge - Businessweek

Why is it "unconstitutional" for law enforcement to determine the immigration status of people arrested for felonies? Don't we have a right to know if criminals are in this country illegally? Didn't Napolitano tell us the top priority of ICE is the removal of "criminal" illegals from this country? Obviously, that was a lie.

Meanwhile, Secure Communities and 287(g) are NOT unconstitutional. What am I missing? Or, is Utah another example of a state usurping federal authority?

Quote:
Federal immigration officials next week are set to start an illegal immigration enforcement program for Montgomery County and the city of Baltimore, making the “Secure Communities” initiative complete across Maryland. The program — which helps track fingerprints of arrestees who may be in the country illegally — has spread to about 71 percent of jurisdictions nationwide.
Federal illegal immigration program expands in Md. - Crime Scene - The Washington Post

Quote:
[b]Secure Communities is a simple and common sense way to carry out ICE's priorities. It uses an already-existing federal information-sharing partnership between ICE and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) that helps to identify criminal aliens without imposing new or additional requirements on state and local law enforcement. For decades, local jurisdictions have shared the fingerprints of individuals who are booked into jails with the FBI to see if they have a criminal record. Under Secure Communities, the FBI automatically sends the fingerprints to ICE to check against its immigration databases. If these checks reveal that an individual is unlawfully present in the United States or otherwise removable due to a criminal conviction, ICE takes enforcement action.
Quote:
Currently ICE has 287(g) agreements with 68 law enforcement agencies in 24 states. Since January 2006, the 287(g) program is credited with identifying more than 279,311 potentially removable aliens — mostly at local jails. ICE has trained and certified more than 1,500 state and local officers to enforce immigration law.
Secure Communities

Fact Sheet: Delegation of Immigration Authority Section 287(g) Immigration and Nationality Act
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2012, 04:39 PM
 
3,204 posts, read 2,383,737 times
Reputation: 1544
If all of this crap doesn't come up at election time I have a feeling we're sunk. If the Republicans are truly on board with upholding the law, they better make their voices heard. I pray that this blatant pandering has an end in sight.

I'm not sure if this issue alone has enough moxie to sway democrats but if it doesn't I think another 4 years will offer enough time for our borders to become non existent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
If all of this crap doesn't come up at election time I have a feeling we're sunk. If the Republicans are truly on board with upholding the law, they better make their voices heard. I pray that this blatant pandering has an end in sight.

I'm not sure if this issue alone has enough moxie to sway democrats but if it doesn't I think another 4 years will offer enough time for our borders to become non existent.
The profiteers of illegal immigration have cunningly manufactured "racism" and are using it to sway opinions. Too many sheeple have been fooled into believing it is racist to oppose illegal immigration. Until they wake up, we can expect more of the same BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 05:15 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The profiteers of illegal immigration have cunningly manufactured "racism" and are using it to sway opinions. Too many sheeple have been fooled into believing it is racist to oppose illegal immigration. Until they wake up, we can expect more of the same BS.
Although looking at various posts on different sites: open hostility is fast forming against Hispanics since so many of them support la raza INCLUDING illegal aliens over fellow Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 06:06 PM
 
3,849 posts, read 3,162,024 times
Reputation: 2451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Although looking at various posts on different sites: open hostility is fast forming against Hispanics since so many of them support la raza INCLUDING illegal aliens over fellow Americans.
And that hostility is growing against Obama for his anti American pro lawbreaker stance on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 05:12 AM
 
Location: #
9,605 posts, read 14,276,273 times
Reputation: 6260
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
And that hostility is growing against Obama for his anti American pro lawbreaker stance on this issue.
The hostility towards state governments who will do anything to get rid of illegals include giving police the power to engage in unreasonable search and seizure is also growing.

Remember when conservatives used to be against such abuses of power?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 06:59 AM
 
Location: The land where cats rule
10,946 posts, read 7,977,821 times
Reputation: 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
The hostility towards state governments who will do anything to get rid of illegals include giving police the power to engage in unreasonable search and seizure is also growing.

Remember when conservatives used to be against such abuses of power?
Remember when the government, including democrats, used to be in favor of enforcing the laws? Not with this administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 07:43 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Remember when the government, including democrats, used to be in favor of enforcing the laws? Not with this administration.
Also it is just pure pro-illegal alien BS that police are being given the power to engage in unreasonable search and seizure. Will these defenders of illegal aliens ever stop their lies and false accusations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
The hostility towards state governments who will do anything to get rid of illegals include giving police the power to engage in unreasonable search and seizure is also growing.

Remember when conservatives used to be against such abuses of power?
Which laws have granted police such power? Please quote your source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top