U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-21-2012, 07:04 PM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,391,246 times
Reputation: 2345

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Actually it is at Middle School level in Mexico where English, typically two years of classes, is required. My eldest daughter mainstreamed here immediately, no ESL classes at all. Setting it as a requirement of "graduation" of Elementary School level is impractical (why should they accept our demands for their students?).

But I knew YOu were just throwing an unreasonable request out there, when I saw YOu use "respectful" and "Mexican national" in the same sentence...
You really need to lead to read. Seriously. And then apologize to me. Again.



Because you're admitting I'm completely correct. English is NOT required in Mexican elementary schools. As I CORRECTLY stated. Which is both disgusting and ironic as my kids are currently learning Spanish in grade school.

How is it unreasonable to demand that Mexicans teach their kids English as early as possible? Especially when my eldest kids are learning Spanish (and Hebrew because I know this bothers many illegals to admit this but their ethnic heritage is not on the only one on the planet nor is Spanish the world's only foreign language) in grade school? Especially when millions of Mexican nationals and their lazy oligarchs literally demand the arrogant right to violate American immigration laws and send their least able citizens here?

The least they could do is make sure their nationals learn English and not be a pain in the rear for most Americans if they meet them on the street or have the frustration of working with them. As I have much to my disgust.

Seriously. How is it "unreasonable" to ask Mexicans to make sure their people are fluent in English as soon as possible? Especially given the status of English as the defacto language of business and commerce, let alone the language of the country most Mexicans reserve the right to invade?

Are you (or YOu as you bizarrely insist on using for some reason you feel no reason to explain) that anti-education? Do you think Mexican nationals should be allowed to not only violate our immigration laws but to spend their lives here without demonstrating any effort to assimilate by showing Americans they know fluent English?



And if Mexican nationals are that fluent in English (which does not seem to be the case for most Mexican illegals who somehow always seem to require interpreters even when they've lived here for over a decade) what's wrong with requiring them to demonstrate it by passing TOEFL?

Really. I am fluent in Hebrew. I learned in grade school by studying it three hours a day in a Yeshiva. How else do you expect to learn a language? Or maybe, like most illegal defenders, you just don't think they should have to?

Last edited by Eleanora1; 02-21-2012 at 07:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2012, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Illinois Delta
5,763 posts, read 4,220,130 times
Reputation: 2058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Sheer arrogance. Mexico exports millions of its citizens to the U.S. illegally, knowing they don't speak a lick of English. Then, we're considered racist and xenophobic because we dare to not learn THEIR language.
But we've integrated Spanish into American language, and long ago at that. Corral, rodeo, barbeque, Florida, Montana, Colorado...all Spanish.
Anyone have a breakfast burrito this morning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 08:07 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,172,244 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
But we've integrated Spanish into American language, and long ago at that. Corral, rodeo, barbeque, Florida, Montana, Colorado...all Spanish.
Anyone have a breakfast burrito this morning?
A few words is not an entire language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 08:25 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,342,384 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
But we've integrated Spanish into American language, and long ago at that. Corral, rodeo, barbeque, Florida, Montana, Colorado...all Spanish.
Anyone have a breakfast burrito this morning?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
A few words is not an entire language.
Chi has it right. Just like Mexican Spanish has some different words; English and so on, than the Spanish in Spain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 08:35 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,941 posts, read 30,201,927 times
Reputation: 17761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
But we've integrated Spanish into American language, and long ago at that. Corral, rodeo, barbeque, Florida, Montana, Colorado...all Spanish.
Anyone have a breakfast burrito this morning?
Carne Asada is about the equivalent of Excusez-moi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 08:58 PM
 
Location: Illinois Delta
5,763 posts, read 4,220,130 times
Reputation: 2058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Carne Asada is about the equivalent of Excusez-moi.
Hey, if it suits people to ignore the Spanish presence here before the 1700s, who am I to argue? Who needs the inconvenient facts that NOLA and Santa Fe and Boca Raton and Los Angeles were once populated by the Spanish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 09:49 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,342,384 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Hey, if it suits people to ignore the Spanish presence here before the 1700s, who am I to argue? Who needs the inconvenient facts that NOLA and Santa Fe and Boca Raton and Los Angeles were once populated by the Spanish?
So they were. It's cool looking back on history. Which doesn't have anything to do with some people trying to use "racism" to stop the battle against illegal aliens being here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 10:01 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,844,279 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
But we've integrated Spanish into American language, and long ago at that. Corral, rodeo, barbeque, Florida, Montana, Colorado...all Spanish.
Anyone have a breakfast burrito this morning?
No, but I did enjoy some delicious potatoes au gratin. Have you ever visited a place for the first time, but it felt like déjà vu?

I'm a petite brunette divorcee who loves to dine out. I think I'll go to my favorite restaurant because the cuisine is fabulous, and the maître d' always gives me carte blanche treatment. I'm not extremely hunger, because I had a few hors d’ oeuvres while attending a friends' soirée. So, I'll probably just do a la carte, and of course, I must have my favorite apple pie al a mode. So, I'll tell myself, bon appétit!

My friend's house is in a quiet cul-de-sac, and when I visit I usually relax on a chaise lounge on her deck, burn some potpourri, and enjoy a variety of musical genres. She's really into art deco and usually asks me to critique her new interior arrangements. She's a stunning blonde with a certain je ne sais quoi. She's leaving on a cruise next week for a rendezvous’ with her new lover. So, I told her bon voyage!

My niece will be attending a debutante ball this weekend. Her gown is so chic. She was going to wear faux jewelry, but I told her that is so passé. I'll let her borrow my diamonds.

Well, I'm en route to the Mardi Gras and hope to catch a matinee while there. Naturally, the nuts will be there en masse but that's part of the fun. No matter how often I go, I can't leave without buying a few souvenirs.


We have also incorporated numerous French words, of which I have demonstrated only a few. But, you don't see French immigrants demanding we speak French, or make French our second language, do you? Is this enough, our do you want an encore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 10:26 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,342,384 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No, but I did enjoy some delicious potatoes au gratin. Have you ever visited a place for the first time, but it felt like déjà vu?

I'm a petite brunette divorcee who loves to dine out. I think I'll go to my favorite restaurant because the cuisine is fabulous, and the maître d' always gives me carte blanche treatment. I'm not extremely hunger, because I had a few hors d’ oeuvres while attending a friends' soirée. So, I'll probably just do a la carte, and of course, I must have my favorite apple pie al a mode. So, I'll tell myself, bon appétit!

My friend's house is in a quiet cul-de-sac, and when I visit I usually relax on a chaise lounge on her deck, burn some potpourri, and enjoy a variety of musical genres. She's really into art deco and usually asks me to critique her new interior arrangements. She's a stunning blonde with a certain je ne sais quoi. She's leaving on a cruise next week for a rendezvous’ with her new lover. So, I told her bon voyage!

My niece will be attending a debutante ball this weekend. Her gown is so chic. She was going to wear faux jewelry, but I told her that is so passé. I'll let her borrow my diamonds.

Well, I'm en route to the Mardi Gras and hope to catch a matinee while there. Naturally, the nuts will be there en masse but that's part of the fun. No matter how often I go, I can't leave without buying a few souvenirs.


We have also incorporated numerous French words, of which I have demonstrated only a few. But, you don't see French immigrants demanding we speak French, or make French our second language, do you? Is this enough, our do you want an encore?
Bravo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2012, 07:18 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,172,244 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Hey, if it suits people to ignore the Spanish presence here before the 1700s, who am I to argue? Who needs the inconvenient facts that NOLA and Santa Fe and Boca Raton and Los Angeles were once populated by the Spanish?
And your point is? It still doesn't change the fact that Americans adopted the English language (not Spanish) as our national de facto language and that most Americans use it as their primary one. Most of our business is conducted in English and English is what is being taught in our schools. Our government also conducts business in English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top