Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 12:10 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
When you write legislation that allows the police to target legal citizens of the country, the powers in Washington will do something about it.

Heck, in Alabama they already had precedent. Arizona's was torn to shreds. Why did Alabama think that the feds would make an exception for them?
Shouldn't you be blaming Alabama for wasting tax dollars?
Don't police routinely target citizens, if they're suspected of committing a crime? Have those laws changed? If so, please provide a link. Are you suggesting we should exempt illegals from receiving the same treatment as citizen suspects?

I don't consider any effort to rid our country of this scourge a waste of tax dollars. In my opinion, it is money well spent.

You were saying. . .

Quote:
The Alabama law, widely seen as the nation's toughest, could embolden other states weighing stiff measures to stop illegal immigration . .

A federal judge Wednesday greenlighted key parts of an Alabama law aimed at curbing illegal immigration, rejecting the federal government's request to block them and strengthening the likelihood that the Supreme Court ultimately will decide whether states can pass their own immigration laws.

U.S. District Judge Sharon Blackburn in the Northern District of Alabama upheld a contentious provision requiring police in Alabama "to make a reasonable attempt" to determine the immigration status of any individual they stop if there is "reasonable suspicion" the person is in the country illegally.
Judge Upholds Key Parts of Alabama Immigration Law - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 01:31 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
Americans will not work the fields or pick crops. Alabama farmers suffered millions in losses from unpicked crops. Illegals are skilled labor; they know how to get it done. Leave them alone.
Not every illegal works in the fields. For instance, I find that bus boys in restaurants are overwhelmingly filled today by illegal immigrants. These are jobs that pay very well.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:54 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Not every illegal works in the fields. For instance, I find that bus boys in restaurants are overwhelmingly filled today by illegal immigrants. These are jobs that pay very well.
I think by now, most people realize 97% of illegals are NOT picking crops. But, pro-illegals keep posting this nonsense for lack of anything better to say.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:56 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Add to that cooks, waiters, auto and technician mechanics, carpenters, housekeeping, construction, landscaping, painters, sewing machine operators, janitorial, stock clerks, laborers for moving freight, stock, households, etc., truck drivers, running illegal "child care service" in-home nurseries, so that other illegals have a place to put their children while they are working off the books, retail sales, child care. Yup, with the exception of running an illegal nursery, just the kind of jobs that Americans won't do.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:26 AM

475 posts, read 508,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
Americans will not work the fields or pick crops. Alabama farmers suffered millions in losses from unpicked crops. Illegals are skilled labor; they know how to get it done. Leave them alone.
Agreed. But the anti illegals will never understand that.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:16 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I think by now, most people realize 97% of illegals are NOT picking crops. But, pro-illegals keep posting this nonsense for lack of anything better to say.
Yep lets tell it as it is. Do you know how many illegals are working construction jobs, lets not even go there. Illegals are working waiter jobs, woodworking and finishing, tile layers and backsplashes, pouring concrete, roofers, painters, additions, a lot more then the crop picking so many tell us about on a daily basic. Getting pretty old too.
From painting, to tile laying, to laying carpet, roofers, additions, building custom built ins, landscapers, i can go on.
Don't tell me no, i will come back at ya and tell ya how i found this out in 2010 so lets not!

Old 02-23-2012, 02:51 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Yep lets tell it as it is. Do you know how many illegals are working construction jobs, lets not even go there.

From painting, to tile laying, to laying carpet, roofers, additions, building custom built ins, landscapers, i can go on.
Who does everyone think built the homes before the housing bust in NV, CA,
AZ, and FL.....

Old 02-23-2012, 02:59 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
How about we don't leave them alone, continue to harass them, and send them back to where they came from for breaking the law.
The way to deal with it is to go after the criminals that employ illegals. Go after them hard. If the illegals can't get jobs, most will leave. Then we go after the illegals on welfare and the rest will leave.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:07 AM

475 posts, read 508,066 times
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/5981/518188997.jpg

Old 02-23-2012, 06:39 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Who does everyone think built the homes before the housing bust in NV, CA,
AZ, and FL.....
No. It's called greedy employers who wanted cheap labor and kept the money they saved. Americans could've built those houses and they would've been the same price. On the chance those houses did cost a bit more; it would not have made much difference anyway, just a few more homes lost when things went bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration