U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 07:35 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,383,305 times

Advertisements

This is really great news. I will be posting a site showing the actual ruling but I don't know how to include more than one link in a post, LOL.

There are a few areas that she didn't allow to go through but I think it still has enough teeth to make a difference.

Judge upholds most of Fremont's illegal immigrant ordinance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 07:43 PM

This link shows the actual ruling if anyone cares to read it. I just scanned it for now but it throws out most of the claims made about racial discrimination etc. Not a good day for MALDEF, LaRaza, the ACLU or the union.

Gotta love the way the headline would lead one to believe that most of the ordinance was throw out when it was the other way around.

I will update this if anything more discriptive becomes available.

Yippee!!!! I hope I'm not reading too much into this! Can you tell I'm giddy?

Judge Throws Out Part Of Fremont's Immigration Rules - Omaha News Story - KETV Omaha

Old 02-21-2012, 06:13 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
This link shows the actual ruling if anyone cares to read it. I just scanned it for now but it throws out most of the claims made about racial discrimination etc. Not a good day for MALDEF, LaRaza, the ACLU or the union.

Gotta love the way the headline would lead one to believe that most of the ordinance was throw out when it was the other way around.

I will update this if anything more discriptive becomes available.

Yippee!!!! I hope I'm not reading too much into this! Can you tell I'm giddy?

Judge Throws Out Part Of Fremont's Immigration Rules - Omaha News Story - KETV Omaha
It's good, at least certain regions of the country are doing something about the problem even if the federal government fails to do it's job.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:31 AM

It will be interesting to see if the DOJ puts a stay on enforcement.

I've had a bit more time to read the ruling and there are several things that stand out. One of the Plaintiffs is legal but living with someone that is already facing deportation. All of them are living with a month to month lease. This makes me wonder if LaRaza and Maldef brought them in specifically for the lawsuit saying hey, you won't get deported while you're part of the suit and you may get amnesty as part of the settlement.

I love that they actually sued saying the Ordinance was written with racial and discrminatory objectives in mind, and the Judge ruled against it pointing out that this was not about one race. IMO, LaRaza and MALDEF lost big on this one considering that is the cornerstone of all their arguments.

In their claim of discrimination based on national origin the Judge ruled that national origin is meant to imply citizenship and puts illegals on a different plain and in an unprotected class.

I looked at the Union website last night and it states in their goals that illegals are bringing the wages down so I really question why they were a part of the lawsuit. They represent three packing houses in the state so I assume they fear other towns getting on the bandwagon if the state doesn't file their own suit.

One thing I'm particularly pleased about is that no awards were granted to the plaintiffs in the suit. For once the lawsuits were funded by the special interests and they will have to foot their own bill. This may give other cities more confidence.

The attorney representing the ACLU is one that I have used personally. He is one of the best in the state. I hope he charged them as much as he charged me because he is worth every penny. He just didn't have a good case. It was comical because he approached us for donations in this case. OOOPS!!!!

Of course this can still be challenged but the lawsuit says it can move forward March 1 on the E Verify (everyone in the city and everyone that does business with the city).

Does anyone think Koback may have finally worked through threw the wrinkles and paved the way for others? At least this takes out the racism and discrimination claims for the future??? What do you think? Am I getting excited too quickly???

Last edited by Isitmeorarethingsnuts?; 02-21-2012 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-21-2012, 10:04 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
It will be interesting to see if the DOJ puts a stay on enforcement.

I've had a bit more time to read the ruling and there are several things that stand out. One of the Plaintiffs is legal but living with someone that is already facing deportation. All of them are living with a month to month lease. This makes me wonder if LaRaza and Maldef brought them in specifically for the lawsuit saying hey, you won't get deported while you're part of the suit and you may get amnesty as part of the settlement.

I love that they actually sued saying the Ordinance was written with racial and discrminatory objectives in mind, and the Judge ruled against it pointing out that this was not about one race. IMO, LaRaza and MALDEF lost big on this one considering that is the cornerstone of all their arguments.

In their claim of discrimination based on national origin the Judge ruled that national origin is meant to imply citizenship and puts illegals on a different plain and in an unprotected class.

I looked at the Union website last night and it states in their goals that illegals are bringing the wages down so I really question why they were a part of the lawsuit. They represent three packing houses in the state so I assume they fear other towns getting on the bandwagon if the state doesn't file their own suit.

One thing I'm particularly pleased about is that no awards were granted to the plaintiffs in the suit. For once the lawsuits were funded by the special interests and they will have to foot their own bill. This may give other cities more confidence.

The attorney representing the ACLU is one that I have used personally. He is one of the best in the state. I hope he charged them as much as he charged me because he is worth every penny. He just didn't have a good case. It was comical because he approached us for donations in this case. OOOPS!!!!

Of course this can still be challenged but the lawsuit says it can move forward March 1 on the E Verify (everyone in the city and everyone that does business with the city).

Does anyone think Koback may have finally worked through threw the wrinkles and paved the way for others? At least this takes out the racism and discrimination claims for the future??? What do you think? Am I getting excited too quickly???
As sure as I am that the sun will rise and set tomorrow, whether I'm here to see it or not, I am equally certain Obama will sic Holder on this. More tax dollars will be wasted to ensure illegals are free to remain here.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:43 AM

14,196 posts, read 7,402,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
As sure as I am that the sun will rise and set tomorrow, whether I'm here to see it or not, I am equally certain Obama will sic Holder on this. More tax dollars will be wasted to ensure illegals are free to remain here.
A very touchy subject with an election comming up. Americans are fighting but unfortunately its gotta be against our own government.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:56 AM

I agree that this is a touchy subject with the election coming up. When you stop to think about all the people that vote to adopt these ordinances and then the Feds get in the way, you have to wonder how they can see it as a winning situation vote wise since illegals supposedly can't vote.

Here in Nebraska I know many people are already upset about the pipeline deal.

Our economy hasn't been hit as bad as some parts of the country, but we have always leaned more toward states rights and smaller federal govt. If gas shoots up like some are predicting it won't bode well either. I predict another very dirty election season. But nothing new there I guess. And if Obama were to lose...a republican would still need to act. At least I wouldn't think a republican would create lawsuits with the states. I guess time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or