Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 06:09 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,288,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Translation, I don't want legal immigrants from Mexico.
No, translation....you refuse to answer our questions but you expect us to answer yours.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I've never heard it explained here how Mexicans that are either illegally or legally immigrating can block groups of potential immigrants in other countries from immigrating to the United States...

This "waiting in line" outside the country needs to defined for exactly who they are, and what claim they have or can put in to be able to come here...

Anyone?...
Obviously, the larger quotas there are for one group the less there will be for others. We allow in 1 million legal immigrants per year. If we allow in 700,000 Mexicans including other Latinos, that means only 300,000 of other groups can come. Please don't start your rant about all the different visas and immigrant catagories again either. I don't wish to hear it for the umpteenth time.

Answer this....how are we to remain a diverse country while retaining our own culture and language with millions coming here from mostly one ethnic group regardless of whether they are legal or illegal?

Old 02-23-2012, 06:52 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,835,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Obviously, the larger quotas there are for one group the less there will be for others. We allow in 1 million legal immigrants per year. If we allow in 700,000 Mexicans including other Latinos, that means only 300,000 of other groups can come. Please don't start your rant about all the different visas and immigrant catagories again either. I don't wish to hear it for the umpteenth time...
YOu have no understanding of immigration quotas, and whom are or are not in the categories of quotas. An "Immediate Relative" outside the United States only has competition for the resources of the U.S. State Department in that country, from others immigrating to the United States in the same country. There are a few exceptions (i.e. Iran, which the United States has no diplomatic relations with), but the countries are handled entirely independently in regards to immigration.

Identify whom is a potential immigrant, what claim they have to immigrate here, and how an immigrating Mexican would be delaying or denying their ability to do so...

Old 02-23-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
YOu have no understanding of immigration quotas, and whom are or are not in the categories of quotas. An "Immediate Relative" outside the United States only has competition for the resources of the U.S. State Department in that country, from others immigrating to the United States in the same country. There are a few exceptions (i.e. Iran, which the United States has no diplomatic relations with), but the countries are handled entirely independently in regards to immigration.

Identify whom is a potential immigrant, what claim they have to immigrate here, and how an immigrating Mexican would be delaying or denying their ability to do so...
Why did you only quote a part of my post without answering my question in the last paragraph?

Old 02-23-2012, 11:02 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,179,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Wanting to repress legal immigration makes one anti legal immigration. How hard is that for people to comprehend.
Repress or raise the minimal requirements?
wanting laws that makes the needs of this nation a priority in the selection process is not anti-immigration.
Its called common sense.
Expecting people to be able both understand and communicate in the language of our land is not anti immigration.
Before you start. My wife is a legal immigrant she speaks 5 languages including english. Her skin is quite brown and quite beautiful.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:16 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,175,919 times
Quote:
I propose that people get a dictionary. If being against legal immigration isn't anti legal immigration, I don't know what is. Listen I'm not saying you don't have an argument for being anti legal immigration, I'm saying don't pretend you are not.
If a school is overcrowded, and some students get turned away, does that make the school anti-student? If a restaurant, or movie theater is full to capacity, and some customers are turned away, does that make the business anti-customer? There's nothing wrong with curtailing legal immigration until we get a handle on illegal immigration, and decide just how many legal immigrants this country can sustain without putting a strain on the infrastructue. That doesn't make us anti-immigration. It makes us prudent, and good stewards of our resources. The more illegal aliens we have, the fewer legal immigrants we can accept.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:30 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,175,919 times
Quote:
I propose that people get a dictionary. If being against legal immigration isn't anti legal immigration, I don't know what is. Listen I'm not saying you don't have an argument for being anti legal immigration, I'm saying don't pretend you are not.
Wanting legal immigration delayed, or put on hold for a while, does not equal anti-immigration. I love my two cats, but do I want more? No, not right now. I figure two is what I can properly care for. Does that make me anti-cat? Hardly!

Old 02-24-2012, 03:38 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,734,037 times
I'm still waiting for someone from the anti-immigrant crowd to mention which one of the current options for legal immigration they support! You can't have your cake and eat it too! If you support putting legal forms of immigration on hold, you open up yourself for the anti-immigrant label. Just deal with it and stop all the whining! People have the right to call you whatever they want.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:40 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,734,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
Wanting legal immigration delayed, or put on hold for a while, does not equal anti-immigration. I love my two cats, but do I want more? No, not right now. I figure two is what I can properly care for. Does that make me anti-cat? Hardly!
Apples and oranges. You can hardly compare two cats living in your house to immigrants trying to move to the United States Legally. You guys whine all day about illegal immigration, yet you are trying to put a stop to legal immigration? How does that make sense?

Old 02-24-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I'm still waiting for someone from the anti-immigrant crowd to mention which one of the current options for legal immigration they support! You can't have your cake and eat it too! If you support putting legal forms of immigration on hold, you open up yourself for the anti-immigrant label. Just deal with it and stop all the whining! People have the right to call you whatever they want.
No, they don't since it is a false label meant to demonize people unfairly. I have to laugh when you say people have the right to call someone whatever they want and yet I believe you are one who objected to being called pro-illegal. Hyprocicy, much?

Try reading all the posts in here explaining why most Americans aren't anti-"immigrant" even though they want legal immigration controlled or reduced temporarily. No wonder you're still waiting for an answer from the anti-"immigrant" crowd to answer your questions as there are none in this forum. I have asked many questions of a certain sympathizer for illegal aliens in here and never got answers to them so walk a mile in my shoes and stop YOUR whining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.