U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 07:46 AM

8,743 posts, read 5,551,884 times

Advertisements

Obama has instructed that all voting/polling machines be updated.

Welcome to your voting/polling station. Please choose your language:
Bienvenido a tu voto / centro de votación. Por favor seleccione su idioma:

Presione 1 para el Español
Press 2 for English

Por favor proceda con su voto para Obama
Please proceed with your vote.

Last edited by softblueyz; 02-22-2012 at 07:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 09:52 AM

19,899 posts, read 15,291,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Mean while those legal immigrants who have obeyed our laws, who have done it the right way have loved ones waiting in line for their turn to enter.
Well with President who has two relatives already caught in violation of our immigration laws, caught committing fraud, and in violation of other laws this is hardly surprising. I wonder how many other relatives he has here breaking our laws?
Wow that is a very true statement. Forgot about that. Our President his own family memembers in violation of our immigration laws. and also caught for fraud. Any other person other then Obama for President, would have been made an example of, but no not Obama.
I'm so over this Presdient, too bad, so many just can't grasp what it is he is doing.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:46 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Obama has instructed that all voting/polling machines be updated.

Welcome to your voting/polling station. Please choose your language:
Bienvenido a tu voto / centro de votación. Por favor seleccione su idioma:

Presione 1 para el Español
Press 2 for English

Por favor proceda con su voto para Obama
Please proceed with your vote.
Interesting since you have to know English to become a citizen.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Interesting since you have to know English to become a citizen.
That post was sarcasm.()

Quote:
to ease the transition from illegal immigrant to legal US resident.
Maybe to make the transition easy for illegals to become legal US residents, who knows, he just may waive the English requirement. Seeing as how he makes up laws as he goes along and doesn't care to enforce the laws when it comes to illegals and he has become their "guardian", anything is possible with him.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:37 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
While I know that some naturalized citizens of advanced age weren't required to know English to gain citizenship I think that is a big mistake. I am a senior and I know if I moved to a foreign country I could learn their native language. Those who don't are either stupid or lazy and are just being catered to IMO. This is true of many illegal aliens also. I know some senior Latino naturalized citizens who have been here for quite some time and never learned English. I am sure that is true of some other ethnic groups also. I find this unacceptable.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:37 AM

Unfortunately America never declared English as it's official language, but would rather cater to foreign languages.

I live in a country where arabic is the official language. In all my time here I haven't met a local (citizen) who doesn't speak Engish as this is a "business oriented" country. Every other nationality and there are 202 different nationalities here, speak, write and comprehend English from the very, very basic (laborers) to fluent. Unlike the US this country doesn't cater to every foreign language. Also unlike the US there is no welfare system or free medical to legal residents.

English is the universal language.

My Arabic is limited, but when I speak it to a local - a good morning, a greeting, a thank you, your welcome - you can see the pleasure they take knowing that a guest in their country has at least basic Arabic and they see it as a sign of respect to them and their country. When you make a call you get two options: 1 for Arabic and 2 for English.

The country I reside in is a government controlled society, but it works. It is mandated that everyone over the age of 18 has a national photo ID cards, including the citizens, renewable every 3 years. When the announcement madating that everyone was required to obtain one, the government also announced a pardon to all illegals: leave the country voluntarily within 30 days without penalty. If they did not leave and were caught after the 30 days they would go to prison, serve time, would not be released until they paid a fine (which their families would have to pay since they were jailed and could not work), and then be deported. During that 30 day period there was a mass exodus of illegals from the country. Anyone caught employing an illegal faced huge fines.

Without the ID card you can't rent an apartment, can't get a job, can't get a loan, can't purchase a car, can't get a driver's license (or renewal). There is no free medical provided or financial assistance to legal residents. The only department that can access your chip info is government and the police for eye scan and fingerprints to ensure that you are the person in possession of the ID card. Since having mine I have shown it 2 times for ID purposes, where a driver's license would have sufficed. It is not a means to serve as a tracking device, but to control the legality of one being in the country.

People in the US opposed to a national ID card see it as big brother watching (which big brother can and does in any event) but do not see the benefits that comes with it that protects citizens and the country. For one thing, it stops illegals from doing and getting everything citizens or legal residents are entitled to. If you are a law abiding citizen then having a national ID card should not be a concern.

I'm sure somewhere in the future a national ID card will be a form of identification in the US and replace the social security number, which will be for tax purposes only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or