U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-24-2012, 08:22 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Why bring up legal or citizen Hispanics, when the beef of the vast majority of people is clearly (probably 90%+) with ILLEGAL Hispanics.

The way you write, it appears you believe ALL Hispanics (shorthand for Mexican?) in the Southwest are "in their native country".

If you're trying to convince people that you simply can't tell the difference between a legal Hispanic family whose family has been here for generations and one that has just arrived two weeks ago on the back of a semi truck illegally.... that's a REAL hard sell. Legal Hispanic families (especially ones with roots) are often highly Americanized culturally. I can take you to the "Hispanic" section of my town and if we were playing "guess who's illegal" I'd probably be right 75-80% of the time, because I am sensitive to cultural and behaviorial clues.
I agree. There is a whole lot of difference between Mexicans and other Latinos here illegally and Americans of Spanish or Mexican ancestry. The latter population in this country still pales in comparison to non-hispanic white Americans. I get the feeling that that fact just kills certain people. I don't get it. I am not resentful that Hispanics dominate 22 countries on the Western Hemisphere. It is true that Mexico held parts of the southwest for a few short years but they sold those lands to the U.S. What makes these reconquistas think they have a right to take them back? Besides, when did Mexico rule over New Jersey, Illinois, New York, etc. and yet illegal Mexicans are all over the U.S.

Last edited by chicagonut; 02-24-2012 at 08:32 AM..

 
Old 02-24-2012, 08:26 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
While North America was inhabited by a variety of peoples, both native and others, these United States were founded by those 13 colonies and their representatives independent of the British Crown who drew up the legal documents that defined our nation and fought the war for Independence.

I suggest the OP go back and read something other than revisionist history.
Yes, and this poster says "ask the Native Americans" how they feel. Well, the Native Americans I know are all full fledged citizens of this country because their tribes settled here. I hear no complaints from them. It is only Mexicans complaining when their native indian ancestors never settled here. Revisionist history, indeed!
 
Old 02-24-2012, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
...The way you write, it appears you believe ALL Hispanics (shorthand for Mexican?) in the Southwest are "in their native country"...
Not exactly, the four in my immediate proximity (when I say "Mexican" it means "Mexican", not some lazy shorthand like YOu can expect here otherwise) aren't...
 
Old 02-27-2012, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Orange County, CA
3,730 posts, read 5,089,357 times
Reputation: 4170
As so many others have commented, the pro illegal re conquista crowd is badly in need of basic historical knowledge. The entire Southwest, including Texas and California, was only lightly settled, much of it was unexplored, and was never close to being controlled, first by Spain and later by Mexico. In these early times the region was controlled, except in California, by the poweful warrior tribes. They kept the Spanish and later Mexicans mostly huddled up in a few heavily defended settlements. The French were actually a prescence in Texas before the Spanish, so does that give France a claim to parts of East Texas? Texas was settled late by Spain, 1716. This was just about the time that another force arrived in what would become Texas. These mounted warriors from the north would exert more power and control in Texas than either Spain or Mexico ever would, they were the Comanche.

From the Treaty of Cordoba in 1821, which created Mexico as a nation, until the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo in 1848, was less than 27 years, only 27 years in which Mexico had a prescence as a sovereign nation, and Texas was gone in 1836. From 1848 to 2012 has been 164 years.
 
Old 02-27-2012, 11:12 AM
 
Location: DFW
2,262 posts, read 2,691,194 times
Reputation: 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Illegal Immigrants. Ask the Native Americans. You are all hypocrites and are the descendants of illegal immigrants. Of course back then they where called Pioneers and Explorers but it's the same difference.
This post isn't worth a response.
 
Old 02-27-2012, 12:11 PM
 
1,448 posts, read 2,658,155 times
Reputation: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Yes, and this poster says "ask the Native Americans" how they feel. Well, the Native Americans I know are all full fledged citizens of this country because their tribes settled here. I hear no complaints from them. It is only Mexicans complaining when their native indian ancestors never settled here. Revisionist history, indeed!
Mexicans know they are wrong changing America demographically via illegal immigration and excessive birth rates. So to keep from appearing dishonest they use the excuse "ask the Native Americans " how they feel. And I am not referring to Mexicans or other Hispanics who came here legally. America was doing just fine before mass illegal immigration. Everyone was getting a fair shot on immigrating to America. I personally don't have a problem with whites becoming a minority in this country but not the way it is being accomplished. As far as what happened between Native Americans is between whites and Native Americans. Everyone else can shut the hell up.
 
Old 02-27-2012, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
As so many others have commented, the pro illegal re conquista crowd is badly in need of basic historical knowledge. The entire Southwest, including Texas and California, was only lightly settled, much of it was unexplored, and was never close to being controlled, first by Spain and later by Mexico. In these early times the region was controlled, except in California, by the poweful warrior tribes. They kept the Spanish and later Mexicans mostly huddled up in a few heavily defended settlements. The French were actually a prescence in Texas before the Spanish, so does that give France a claim to parts of East Texas? Texas was settled late by Spain, 1716. This was just about the time that another force arrived in what would become Texas. These mounted warriors from the north would exert more power and control in Texas than either Spain or Mexico ever would, they were the Comanche.

From the Treaty of Cordoba in 1821, which created Mexico as a nation, until the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo in 1848, was less than 27 years, only 27 years in which Mexico had a prescence as a sovereign nation, and Texas was gone in 1836. From 1848 to 2012 has been 164 years.
So does this mean that Russia can annex Alaska, or that Canada can go after North and South Dakota? Land that is titled over to a country is not open for another to stake a claim on it. YOu are basically saying that the American immigrants coming to Mexican Texas should not have had to observe their law and sovereign status, without any treaties being signed.

Why does the criteria have to be lower for the United States? Isn't that just an extension of Manifest Destiny, to say we can go where we want? Why did we ever pay for the Louisiana Purchase if it was the same conditions there?
 
Old 02-27-2012, 02:01 PM
 
Location: NE Ohio
30,090 posts, read 15,655,929 times
Reputation: 8783
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Illegal Immigrants. Ask the Native Americans. You are all hypocrites and are the descendants of illegal immigrants. Of course back then they where called Pioneers and Explorers but it's the same difference.
Your premise is ridiculous on it's face, because the "native Americans" were not a "nation", but they were tribal people, and they had no government with an "imigration policy."

Therefore, our ancestors were not illegal aliens (the correct term, by-the-way). They broke no laws.

It is stupid threads like this are purely a waste of time. Get a job.
 
Old 02-27-2012, 02:08 PM
 
Location: NE Ohio
30,090 posts, read 15,655,929 times
Reputation: 8783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Correct! You can shift the labels around, but it doesn't change the definition.

They were thieves and killers much worse than the illegals of today (nicely labeled as Pioneers).

Now those thieves and killers still take the land of other nations (nicely labeled as politicians, corporations and military).

What comes around, goes around!
When the early settlers came here they found the "native Americans" to be individual tribal people with no single govenment over all. Thererore, there were no "imigration laws" to violate, and they were not "illegal", unlike todays law breakers who enter the country illegally. They are illegal aliens (not "illegal imigrants", as an imigrant is one who has entered the country legally).

The premise of this thread is ridiculous, and this thread is only intended to incite hatred. It ought to be deleted.
 
Old 02-27-2012, 02:10 PM
 
Location: NE Ohio
30,090 posts, read 15,655,929 times
Reputation: 8783
Thumbs up Right on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Oh for god sakes.



Asking people to obey our immigration laws, learn our language and not use our social services is a perfectly rational action not some sort of offense against human rights. Every country (including most latino nations) makes those sort of demands on foreign nationals.

My relatives came here legally at the invitation of the American government. They were examined closely for contagious diseases knowing they would have been sent home no questions asked and no appeal possible. They were fleeing pograms which were periodic murderous lynchings against people who shared their religion. They learned English. They sure as hell did not expect Americans to learn Yiddish or provide them with $300 a month for food just because they gave birth on American soil.

They didn't march down the street waving Austro-Hungarian empire flags. They sure as hell didn't steal anyone's land or kill anyone. They didn't demand that Americans pay their medical bills or provide ESL teachers for their kids or subsidized housing for their elderly relatives.

You know what else they did? They celebrated the 4th of July. They showed pride in this country. They were happy and yes even grateful. They sure as hell did not go around screeching that Americans were horrible racists when the doors were shut in 1924 even though that literally condemned some of my relatives to the true death camps of the holocaust.

If you're going to talk about my relatives (and the relatives of most anti-illegals) at least be accurate.
Very excellent post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top