U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 09:30 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,278,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
UMG! FAIL. I know I can't really fault you for this travesty of ignorance. I blame it on our disfunctional education system.

Sold the lands? Were you alseep when they discussed the Mexican-American war in history class?

Mexican
Don't go there. Mexico did a similar thing to Spain a few years before. Guatemala also broke away from Mexico but I DON'T hear Mexicans wanting it back. It's also possible that Spain may have SOLD what is now Mexico to the US much like France and the Louisiana Purchase which happened around the same time.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:32 AM

3,493 posts, read 2,385,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I was responding to YOur comment that, by birth here, YOu are a "Native American". "Anchor Babies" (I am not objecting to the usage of the term) are also born here. If the term "Native American" means someone born here (the term only reflects the person, not their parents), aren't "Anchor Babies" (as well as everyone else born here) also "Native Americans" under that definition?
You're ignoring the fact that anchor babies are used by their parents to attempt to break American immigration laws.

Quote:
I just don't understand why YOu are in such a shrill drama to vent on someone that doesn't meet those expectations...
Your personal insults continue to make you unworthy of engagement.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:35 AM

3,493 posts, read 2,385,153 times
Quote:
There are a lot of Mexicans living in my apartment complex, and I don't know of a single one of them who fit that description. By the way, many of them actually pay taxes but aren't represented in our legislatures because they have no voting rights. So they can hardly veto anything.
Your lack of personal experience in this matter is utterly irrelevant.

Quote:
How do you know they didn't? And whether or not they did, they were still a part of the flotilla that came here and disenfranchised the Native American of their land.
Oh nonsense. My ancestors did not do a damned thing to anyone. This whole assertion that ALL Americans are akin to land stealing rapists is sheer historical ignorance.

Quote:
I take it that you believe that your arrogance is likeable.
When I move to Mexico without permission, live there for decades and refuse to learn Spanish and demand that I be rewarded with citizenship and welfare benefits for having done so then you can call me arrogant.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:50 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
UMG! FAIL. I know I can't really fault you for this travesty of ignorance. I blame it on our disfunctional education system.

Sold the lands? Were you alseep when they discussed the Mexican-American war in history class?

Mexican
From the article itself...the U.S.paid Mexico $18 million and forgave them many debts in the Treaty of Guadalupe Hildalgo and Mexico accepted the Rio Grande as its national border, and the loss of Texas. After that there was the Gadsden Purchase for other territories. You aren't talking to some teenager here barely out of high school, I am a senior citizen.

Last edited by chicagonut; 03-04-2012 at 10:01 AM..

Old 03-04-2012, 11:11 AM

3,579 posts, read 2,646,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
From the article itself...the U.S.paid Mexico $18 million and forgave them many debts in the Treaty of Guadalupe Hildalgo and Mexico accepted the Rio Grande as its national border, and the loss of Texas. After that there was the Gadsden Purchase for other territories. You aren't talking to some teenager here barely out of high school, I am a senior citizen.

Then how can you forget the fact that the treaty ended the Mexican-American war? In other words, the treaty came last, not first.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Then how can you forget the fact that the treaty ended the Mexican-American war? In other words, the treaty came last, not first.
Haven't forgotten it. It is irrelevant. Wars have been fought and lands have exchanged hands since time began. Mexico agreed to sell those lands that the reconquista types say were stolen. The argument that gets me is the notion that Mexicans have some indisputable right to this country based on their native indian ancestry when their tribes never settled in this country and the fact that most Mexicans are of white European blood themselves.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:50 PM

3,579 posts, read 2,646,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Haven't forgotten it. It is irrelevant. Wars have been fought and lands have exchanged hands since time began. Mexico agreed to sell those lands that the reconquista types say were stolen. The argument that gets me is the notion that Mexicans have some indisputable right to this country based on their native indian ancestry when their tribes never settled in this country and the fact that most Mexicans are of white European blood themselves.

So, according to you, the Mexican-American war was irrelevant? I can hear jaws dropping from historians all across the globe from that absurd claim.

As for the prehistory of Mexican influence on our lands, perhaps you should read up a bit on exactly how they DID, in fact influence native cultures here. There is plenty of archaeological evidence to support widespread Mesoamerican influence on pre-Columbian Native American culture.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:57 PM

4,827 posts, read 4,645,479 times
Mexicans only want to be in this country because it is more prosperous than the sh*thole they come from.

I doubt Guatemala has millions of illegal aliens from their neighbors to the north doing the same things illegal aliens from Mexico are doing here.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
So, according to you, the Mexican-American war was irrelevant? I can hear jaws dropping from historians all across the globe from that absurd claim.

As for the prehistory of Mexican influence on our lands, perhaps you should read up a bit on exactly how they DID, in fact influence native cultures here. There is plenty of archaeological evidence to support widespread Mesoamerican influence on pre-Columbian Native American culture.
I wasn't implying that the war itself is irrelevant. What is relevant is the outcome and the U.S. won the war and that Mexico signed the Treaty of Guadalupe Hildalgo and sold the lands in question to our country. They agreed that the Rio Grande would be the border for our two countries. It's a done deal so I suggest you stop living in the past.

As for what Spanish/native indian influence there is in this country they are minority cultures today. They are not our dominant cultures and English is our language not Spanish or some native indian tongue. The descendants of the native indian tribes that were indigenous to THIS country are all citizens of this country now. I don't hear them advocating for millions of Mexicans to come here illegally. Ever wonder why?

Old 03-05-2012, 05:16 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,278,864 times
Quote:

Does it even matter today? NO one from back then is even alive now. If Mexico thinks it's going to get some land back from the US, I don't think so. Texas booted Mexico out, so did Guatemala yet people are mad over Texas but don't care about Guatemala.

I've said earlier in this thread had Spain put down Mexico's revolt 200 years ago, it's quite likely Spain would've SOLD what is now Mexico to the US a little later. Think France and the Louisiana Purchase.

Then there's the thing about the Gadsden Purchase: Mexico has NO claim at all to that since NO war was even involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration