U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 08:44 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Considering the fact that there are currently about 70,000 undocumented Canadians working in the United States, when was the last time you heard a Republican complain about Illegal Canadian immigrants?
Republicans oppose all illegal immigration. Where have they ever said that they only oppose illegal immigration from Hispanic countries? You are comparing apples to oranges anyway comparing 70,000 illegal Canadians here opposed to millions of illegal aliens from Mexico and other Latino countries. As I asked and you didn't respond, please provide evidence that Republicans oppose LEGAL immigration from Hispanic countries.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:47 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,711,425 times
Quote:
Considering the fact that there are currently about 70,000 undocumented Canadians working in the United States, when was the last time you heard a Republican complain about Illegal Canadian immigrants?
I here people (Republicans, Democrats, and Independents) complaining about illegal immigrants, not their nationalities. It is advocates (Progressives and wanna be religious nuts) that come in and change it to a nationality, usually Mexican, since they are here by far in the largest illegal numbers. Its also the news media, there are always more illegal Latinos in the news then anything else and they make the headlines, but if you look real hard, there are other stories out there as well about Chinese, Canadians, Irish, Russian, etc. They are just few and far between, when they do occasionally arise, they are posted on this forum.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:53 AM

3,493 posts, read 2,385,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Regardless of how our ancestors came or if we are uniformed about them or not I asked if you agreed with the OP that Americans (and in particular white Americans) are hypocrites today for wanting our immigration laws enforced based on what their ancestors did or didn't do.

I am not British or Spanish nor were any of my ancestors from any European country who came here as settlers. My ancestors came through Ellis Island. I am not uniformed about my ancestor's past. A family tree was done on both sides of my family. Regardless, it is ludicrous to hold any American alive today accountable for their ancestor's past by claiming they are here illegally or that they should dishonor our immigration laws today to make amends for them. Is it at all possible for you to be straight forward and agree or disagree with all of the above?
I would also like answers to those questions. Comparing my law abiding relatives to a group of modern criminals is ridiculous.

Quote:
Immigration policy of the Republican party:

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door - unless they are Hispanic."
Sheer ignorance.

Americans have literally let hundreds of hispanic nationals immigrate illegally simply because they have relatives here even when such nationals are both utterly ill prepared for life in the United States and likely to be a tax burden.

How far should this go? Should EVERY latino even if they don't speak English, even if they have no more than a fifth grade education and a disease requiring expensive medical treatment be allowed to move here? You'd certainly think so given the views of many hispanic pols and their racist supporters.

If you're going to talk history and immgration I have news for you. Not only did my ancestors immigrate legally they also had no backups. No bilingual education. No give birth and claim three hundred bucks a month in food from the American public. No go to the ER if sick and leave without paying the bill. You couldn't make it here then you left. You certainly didn't stick around and call Americans nasty names if they refused to let you stay and pay your bills.

Instead we get far too many hispanic pols and their racist supporters not only arguing that our immigration laws should be changed to suit the needs of hispanic nationals but any opposition to their coming here is both racist and historically ignorant.

Nonsense. The Lazarus poem is just a poem. It is not an open invitation to the world's poor to ignore our immigration laws and demand Americans meet their economic needs.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:24 AM

3,730 posts, read 5,089,357 times
Quote:
Immigration policy of the Republican party:

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door - unless they are Hispanic."
Immigration policy of the Democratic Party:

"Give us your criminals, your uneducated, your disease ridden masses yearning to plunder our treasure, the wretched dregs of your failed society. Send these, the lazy, the tempest tossed failures to us, we lift up our lamp besides the golden door and open wide the pocketbooks of our citizens---but only if they are Hispanic because Hispanics vote Democratic.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:11 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,010,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post

"Give us your criminals, your uneducated, your disease ridden masses yearning to plunder our treasure, the wretched dregs of your failed society. Send these, the lazy, the tempest tossed failures to us, we lift up our lamp besides the golden door and open wide the pocketbooks of our citizens---but only if they are Hispanic because Hispanics vote Democratic.
And of course YOu are aware that Clinton tightened up immigration requirements as President, while Reagan was on watch for an "amnesty"?...

Old 03-06-2012, 11:31 AM

3,493 posts, read 2,385,436 times
Quote:

Both parties pander to illegals shamelessly on this issue. The Reps love cheap and docile labor as much as the Dems love ethnic pandering.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:13 PM

499 posts, read 482,493 times
Quote:

Well, apart from the last sentence I don't know what you are worried about. We're getting all of those in the U.K. They are queuing up in droves in France to come here. Latest news is that the U.K. is offering free HIV treatment to foreign nationals on the NHS. We haven't enough problems of our own have we? We poor U.K. tax payers are footing the bill for it ofcourse. What happens to illegal immigrants in the States when they need medical treatment? When I travel to the States for a few weeks with my husband, our latest quote for medical insurance is 900 (about $1600) Ofcourse we pay it. I don't think we have much choice. What would happen to us in America if we were taken ill and had no insurance? Would we be treated at a hospital?

Old 03-06-2012, 03:19 PM

17,279 posts, read 24,961,305 times
Quote:

Look, I don't exactly like Republicans, but if there were ONLY 70,000 " illegal Hispanics" in America, you probably wouldn't hear about THAT either.

BTW: All of your posts about whether or not there was "MesoAmerican influence" on tribes indigenous to the United States' current borders is absolutely irrelevant.

First, "Mexican" is not a race. There are Mexicans of all shapes, sizes and colors. Hispanics in general are a very diverse bunch.

With respect to Mexicans and Central Americans, while a majority of Mexicans will have SOME native American ancestry, that fact is about as useful to this discussion as saying "Most American blacks have white admixture, and therefore are entitled to move to any country in Europe."

Last edited by TriMT7; 03-06-2012 at 03:29 PM..

Old 03-06-2012, 03:33 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
And of course YOu are aware that Clinton tightened up immigration requirements as President, while Reagan was on watch for an "amnesty"?...
Yes, and Reagan lived to regret his decision on amnesty. Look what that did for us. Over the years it brought in at least 4 times the illegals that were amestied back then.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:47 PM

135 posts, read 147,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Illegal Immigrants. Ask the Native Americans. You are all hypocrites and are the descendants of illegal immigrants. Of course back then they where called Pioneers and Explorers but it's the same difference.
Surely to be an illegal immigrant you need to be an immigrant that breaks the conventions of a law?

Not a rule, an agreement, an expectation, a belief or anything else, a law.

Just thought i'd mention it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration