U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-07-2012, 09:43 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
The vast majority have, in fact not been a burden to our country. It's just another boogeyman for the Republican party to use to whip up it's self-serving paranoid base.
There are many viable statistics out there that they are. One is undeniable and that is that they are taking jobs from Americans.

 
Old 03-07-2012, 09:45 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
No sir, they are not. The job creators are the small business owners. Trickle down economics didn't work when they peddled it in the 1980s, and it certainly doesn't work today.
I am not a "sir". I am a female. Small business owners having to pay high taxes will not create jobs either.
 
Old 03-07-2012, 09:51 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
What a load of crap. The ONLY reason to make English the "national language" is because some people in this country are unapologetically ethnocentric, and also too friggin lazy to learn a language not their own.

Red Fox had an interesting joke he used to say that I think is appropriate here:

"You say dogs are dumb. But if a dog is dumb, how come it understands English and you can't speak dog"?

As for "official languages", India has 13 official languages. So what?

Why do conservatives preach smaller government out of one side of their mouths and then insist on yet more meaningless and unnecessary laws like making English an 'official' language out of the other side? Like I said earlier, conservatives aren't against bigger goverment as long is it supports their agenda.
First off I suggest you stop making this a conservative Republican issue. Illegal immigration effects all of us negatively.

We have no need to learn the language of "illegal invaders". To claim that any country should have to learn a different language based on that is ludicrous to say the least. Dumb and lazy doesn't fit. If anyone is dumb an lazy it is immigrants who come here and refuse to learn OUR langauge. As for "immigrants" (the legal kind) since when should citizens learn their language rather than the other way around. I assure you if I migrated to another country I would learn THEIR language.

Having an official language is not wasting money it is increasing our tax coffers by not having to print government documents in several diffferent langauges. That has already been explained to you.
 
Old 03-07-2012, 09:59 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,385,153 times
Reputation: 2345
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
But of course, the fact that they are Hispanic has nothing to do with the conservative villification of immigrants.

So what you are saying is that if we leave them alone, they will go away. That's just great. So what's the problem?

Are you suggesting that we deport all our highschool dropouts as well?
Illegals aren't immigrants. And Americans have been much kinder to many hispanic nationals than their own home governments. Mexico's answer to the problems of their own least able citizenry is to tell them to break into a foreign country and violate that country's laws.

How's that kind?



The problem is that we're not leaving them alone. Far too many pols want to give them all sorts rewards for violating our laws including citizenship for their kids and free college tuition.

Our own high school drop outs are a reason to improve our own schools, not a reason to allow Mexicans to move here without permission.
 
Old 03-07-2012, 09:59 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
What a load of crap. The ONLY reason to make English the "national language" is because some people in this country are unapologetically ethnocentric, and also too friggin lazy to learn a language not their own.

Red Fox had an interesting joke he used to say that I think is appropriate here:

"You say dogs are dumb. But if a dog is dumb, how come it understands English and you can't speak dog"?

As for "official languages", India has 13 official languages. So what?

Why do conservatives preach smaller government out of one side of their mouths and then insist on yet more meaningless and unnecessary laws like making English an 'official' language out of the other side? Like I said earlier, conservatives aren't against bigger goverment as long is it supports their agenda.
What makes more sense here. 300 million legal citizens learn Spanish or 30 (estimated max) million non-legal Spanish speakers learn English?

Which looks lazy?
 
Old 03-07-2012, 10:16 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,385,153 times
Reputation: 2345
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
The vast majority have, in fact not been a burden to our country. It's just another boogeyman for the Republican party to use to whip up it's self-serving paranoid base.
The vast majority of illegals are high school drop outs who don't speak English. The pretense that they aren't a fiscal burden for most Americans is a delusion of ethnocentrists on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
What a load of crap. The ONLY reason to make English the "national language" is because some people in this country are unapologetically ethnocentric, and also too friggin lazy to learn a language not their own.

Red Fox had an interesting joke he used to say that I think is appropriate here:

"You say dogs are dumb. But if a dog is dumb, how come it understands English and you can't speak dog"?

As for "official languages", India has 13 official languages. So what?

Why do conservatives preach smaller government out of one side of their mouths and then insist on yet more meaningless and unnecessary laws like making English an 'official' language out of the other side? Like I said earlier, conservatives aren't against bigger goverment as long is it supports their agenda.
Why do illegal supporters insist that illegals essentially have no obligation at all to learn English?



Accusing Americans who don't want to spend their spare time mastering Spanish of being lazy racists is NOT the way to gain support for illegals.

And by second language what you really mean is Spanish. Not French or Yiddish or Japanese. Not a language that honors their ethnic heritage such as Italian or Irish Gaelic. You mean that Americans should learn Spanish. Why? To make life easier for people who have brazenly violated our laws and steadfastly refuse to make any accommodations whatsoever to the people of this country. Because a monolingual illegal is just fine to you but an American who doesn't speak Spanish is clearly an awful person.

Your own agenda is one of arrogant demands and ultimately nothing but colonization. But what else can one expect from an advocate for foreign criminals . . .
 
Old 03-07-2012, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Orange County, CA
3,730 posts, read 5,088,410 times
Reputation: 4170
Default Casablanca the movie.

What does the 1942 film classic have to do with illegal immigration you ask? There is a scene in Rick's Cafe that should be must viewing for those that believe that it is just fine for legal immigrants, as well as the criminal aliens, to retain their native language and to not learn English. For those of us that firmly believe in English first, only, and officially, it may serve as an example, fictional though it may be.

In this scene an elderly couple, refugees from war torn Nazi Europe, are sitting at a table talking to their elderly waiter. They have obtained visas and are leaving for America and freedom. They proudly announce that they have been working hard to learn English, and that they only speak to each other in English and not their native tongue so that they will be able to fit in upon their arrival in the US. An amusing exchange in which they get the words scrambled a bit about what time it is, but their waiter assures them that they will do just fine in America. What a pity that this attitude seems to have become extinct, and that even many legal immigrants, to say nothing about the illegals, expect us to become like them instead of the other way around.
 
Old 03-07-2012, 04:13 PM
 
Location: California
2,477 posts, read 1,711,133 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
The vast majority have, in fact not been a burden to our country. It's just another boogeyman for the Republican party to use to whip up it's self-serving paranoid base.
Because you claim it or other advocates do, doesn't prove it. How about a link with your claims and then allow for the disproving of those claims, would you then continue with your rhetoric?
 
Old 03-07-2012, 04:27 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Because you claim it or other advocates do, doesn't prove it. How about a link with your claims and then allow for the disproving of those claims, would you then continue with your rhetoric?
We are allowing poor to pour in. When there are no jobs there is nothing BUT social services, even if it means using your own children as that vehicle to obtain them.
 
Old 03-07-2012, 05:51 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,278,864 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
What a load of crap. The ONLY reason to make English the "national language" is because some people in this country are unapologetically ethnocentric, and also too friggin lazy to learn a language not their own.

Red Fox had an interesting joke he used to say that I think is appropriate here:

"You say dogs are dumb. But if a dog is dumb, how come it understands English and you can't speak dog"?

As for "official languages", India has 13 official languages. So what?

Why do conservatives preach smaller government out of one side of their mouths and then insist on yet more meaningless and unnecessary laws like making English an 'official' language out of the other side? Like I said earlier, conservatives aren't against bigger goverment as long is it supports their agenda.
It's been said English the language of money and power. I've looked at websites of most rich other countries that DON'T use English as a big language and their "default" language is usually English. Go to most countries in Europe, Africa or Asia and it ISN'T Spanish used as a default language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top