Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 08:33 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
None of that has anything to do with the subject of illegal immigration.

Do you or do you not think that illegals, should at the very least, learn English before they get here? Or do you think they should be allowed not only to violate American immigration laws but to demand that Americans learn Spanish?

Why?

Why are you so willing to tell Americans that we're awful people because most of us don't speak another language (and by that you mean Spanish) while steadfastly refusing to condemn illegal aliens who don't speak English? Do they have any obligations at all?

Any?

I know of very few, if any, immigrants, regardless of status, who learn English BEFORE they arrive here. You are placing a pre-requisite on Hispanics that is not required of any other group. And that shows clearly that you are discriminating against hispanics.

I have no problems with immigrants learning English or any other second language. I encourage everyone to learn a second language, even a third or fourth. We cannot solve the problems we face if we cannot communicate with one another. For those who are fluent in more than one language, it's a no-brainer. Capiche?

Old 03-08-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
I am trying to correct your ignorance. I am clearly, unfortunately, failing miserably. You have no problem making incredibly nasty generalizations about Americans while infantizing illegals and excusing their actions. You might want to stop that.
What actions am I excusing? Understanding why people do what they do is not the same as excusing what they do. You might want to try that sometime.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:39 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
I know of very few, if any, immigrants, regardless of status, who learn English BEFORE they arrive here. You are placing a pre-requisite on Hispanics that is not required of any other group. And that shows clearly that you are discriminating against hispanics.

I have no problems with immigrants learning English or any other second language. I encourage everyone to learn a second language, even a third or fourth. We cannot solve the problems we face if we cannot communicate with one another. For those who are fluent in more than one language, it's a no-brainer. Capiche?
On what planet is asking people to take English lessons before they move here (let alone have the nerve to move here in violation of our immigration laws) discrimination against hispanics?

Would that be Planet Can't Read? Or Planet Knee Jerk?

Please tell.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:40 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,123 times
Quote:
I know quite a few Europeans, and I've never met one that wasn't fluent in more than one language. In India, millions speak multiple languages (they'd better, since there are over 100 languages spoken there, and they have 13 national languages). And I'd wager that the U.S. is likely one of the few industrial nations that has such an massive aversion for learning other languages.
So what In the US millions also speak multiple languages, those that choose not to have the right not to. We are one nation with one people, not one nation with multiple groups (India, Belgium, Russia, etc.) Our language is English, period.

Quote:
The fact is that people who are multilingual are highly intelligent and better multi-taskers than those who are fluent in only one language. The fact is that we live in a multitcultural and multilingual country, and its time the monolinguists get used to it. Comprende?
Such demands. We live in a country with one common culture with many sub-cultures, we have but one common language. The movement of people introduces other languages to our society, that does not require one (in the US) to become multi-lingual. It is upon the foreigner who wishes to come here to learn our language, not the other way around. The pockets of other cultures within the US are just that, foreign cultures they can not live without, i.e. China Town in many large cities, etc. where many people within that community speak only their native tongue while partaking of the American prosperity.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:43 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,660 times
Quote:
What actions am I excusing? Understanding why people do what they do is not the same as excusing what they do. You might want to try that sometime.
Do you even read your own posts? Just out of curiosity?

At every turn you have justified the actions of illegals while calling Americans all sorts of names. You've told us Americans who want our immigration laws enforced are xenophobic. You've told us that Americans who don't speak Spanish are lazy and arrogant. You've even called me a Christian and a Conservative who approves of Rush Limbaugh!

At no point have you uttered a word of condemnation for those who break our immigration laws. You have said they should even be rewarded for doing so with anmnesty.

Why? Literally about a billion people in this world live on less than $2 a day and in extreme poverty. Do they ALL get to move here? Or just Mexicans?

Old 03-08-2012, 08:48 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,123 times
Quote:
This is simply not true. I live in a very diverse community, one that has Africans (both Christians and Muslims), Greeks, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Hispanic, and even Samoans, as well as your average, run-o-the-mill Americans. I don't see that any of these foreigners have learned English any better than any of the Hispanics who live here, regardless of their legal status. In fact, the Hispanics here are more friendly than any of the other groups, probably because their cultural ties are far less removed from ours than it is with the others.

There are hundreds of languages and dialects spoken throughout the world. People say that America is the greatest nation on the planet, and a world leader. Now I ask you, how do you suppose it is that any world leader can claim to have such status when it is so unwilling to learn how to talk to people who don't speak their language? It's just a sad case of parochialism, nothing more. You can't be a world leader while holding on to parochial thinking and expect to hold that leadership position for very long. Good luck trying.

Hasta la vista, baby! Do you need an interpreter for that?
So now your saying Obama will not hold his job since he's mono-lingual and doesn't push citizens to learn other languages?

Old 03-08-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
So now your saying Obama will not hold his job since he's mono-lingual and doesn't push citizens to learn other languages?

And you know for a fact that he doesn't know any other language than English? If he did promote multilingualism, no doubt, the right would land on him like flies. By the way, did you know that ther Obama administration has deported more illegals in the last four years than the previous president did in the eight years he was in office? You didn't know this? Huh.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:26 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
And how do you deport 12 million people without spending more money than you would by simply giving them amnesty and letting them become the productive American citizens that they want to be in the first place. The vast majority didn't come here with the intention of breaking laws. Mexico and Guatamala are war zones. So it should surprise no one that many people want to get the hell out of the line of fire. Now, instead of claiming that they are all criminals deserving of the full penalty of the law, perhaps you folks could show a little humanity.
Maybe you should read the posts in here. Most of us aren't for rounding them up and deporting them. Most of us are for removing any incentives to remain here such as jobs, benefits and birthright citizenship and continued internal enforcement when they are caught. That will deter many more from coming here also.

They knew when they came here illegally that they were breaking the law so not sure what you mean by "intent". Most parts of Mexico are safe and I haven't heard otherwise about Guatamala either. Not our problem anyway. If they were coming from war torn zones they would be coming here as refuges but they aren't.

Perhaps you should show a little humanity towards Americans who are suffering the brunt of this illegal invasion instead of demonizng us for not accepting illegal aliens.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
This is simply not true. I live in a very diverse community, one that has Africans (both Christians and Muslims), Greeks, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Hispanic, and even Samoans, as well as your average, run-o-the-mill Americans. I don't see that any of these foreigners have learned English any better than any of the Hispanics who live here, regardless of their legal status. In fact, the Hispanics here are more friendly than any of the other groups, probably because their cultural ties are far less removed from ours than it is with the others.

There are hundreds of languages and dialects spoken throughout the world. People say that America is the greatest nation on the planet, and a world leader. Now I ask you, how do you suppose it is that any world leader can claim to have such status when it is so unwilling to learn how to talk to people who don't speak their language? It's just a sad case of parochialism, nothing more. You can't be a world leader while holding on to parochial thinking and expect to hold that leadership position for very long. Good luck trying.

Hasta la vista, baby! Do you need an interpreter for that?
You say there are numerous "immigrants" that haven't bothered to learn English (our language) and yet you vilify American citizens for not learning theirs?

So being "friendly" should allow illegal alien Hispanics to come here without authorization? Please quote the part of our immigration laws that says that.

You made our own point for us, thanks. America is a world leader while most of our citizens are mono-lingual. We have been a world leader since our country was formed. I don't see us going down the tubes because we don't speak several languages least of all the language of those who violated our immigration laws.

Hope you meant it when you said "hasta la vista". Your demonization of Americans for their linguistic skills and for wanting our immigration laws enforced is getting tiresome to say the least.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
How ironic it is that conservatives tell us that we have no reason to try to help Mexico (a border nation to ours) solve its dire problems, problems that are bleeding over to us and ACTUALLY THREATENING OUR NATIONAL SECURITY but are more than willing to go to war and spend a trillion dollars to "solve" a problem a half a world away that had nothing to do with our national security.

Not a war zone? What log have you been sleeping under?

Mexican Drug War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Drug 'War Zone' Rattles U.S.-Mexico Border - ABC News

US ranchers: We live in fear along Mexican border - Nightly News - msnbc.com
What happened to "hasta la vista baby"? You're still here. We send millions to Mexico so what are you talking about? This isn't a conservative versus liberal issue. It is a national issue that affects us all.

As for the wars we have fought in other countries that is a different topic. Some Americans like myself are sick of those also and the trillions of dollars we are spending on them and wish we would bring our troops home to guard our own borders and yet I am a conservative! So much for your stereotyping of conservatives.

When is Mexico going to solve its own economic problems by creating jobs for their own people? Why is it our problem to solve by importing their poor and undeducated citizens here to steal our jobs, taxes and resources? As I said, most of Mexico isn't a war torn zone. It is only certain places along the border. The answer isn't for them to move here but to move to areas in Mexico where those problems don't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration