U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2012, 10:13 AM
 
5,527 posts, read 8,774,016 times
Reputation: 1860

Advertisements

Illegal Immigrants. Ask the Native Americans. You are all hypocrites and are the descendants of illegal immigrants. Of course back then they where called Pioneers and Explorers but it's the same difference.

 
Old 02-22-2012, 10:15 AM
 
2,313 posts, read 3,084,779 times
Reputation: 1580
Stay classy Philly!
 
Old 02-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,060 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Reputation: 5288
Correct! You can shift the labels around, but it doesn't change the definition.

They were thieves and killers much worse than the illegals of today (nicely labeled as Pioneers).

Now those thieves and killers still take the land of other nations (nicely labeled as politicians, corporations and military).

What comes around, goes around!
 
Old 02-22-2012, 11:00 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,385,436 times
Reputation: 2345
Oh for god sakes.



Asking people to obey our immigration laws, learn our language and not use our social services is a perfectly rational action not some sort of offense against human rights. Every country (including most latino nations) makes those sort of demands on foreign nationals.

My relatives came here legally at the invitation of the American government. They were examined closely for contagious diseases knowing they would have been sent home no questions asked and no appeal possible. They were fleeing pograms which were periodic murderous lynchings against people who shared their religion. They learned English. They sure as hell did not expect Americans to learn Yiddish or provide them with $300 a month for food just because they gave birth on American soil.

They didn't march down the street waving Austro-Hungarian empire flags. They sure as hell didn't steal anyone's land or kill anyone. They didn't demand that Americans pay their medical bills or provide ESL teachers for their kids or subsidized housing for their elderly relatives.

You know what else they did? They celebrated the 4th of July. They showed pride in this country. They were happy and yes even grateful. They sure as hell did not go around screeching that Americans were horrible racists when the doors were shut in 1924 even though that literally condemned some of my relatives to the true death camps of the holocaust.

If you're going to talk about my relatives (and the relatives of most anti-illegals) at least be accurate.
 
Old 02-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,060 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Oh for god sakes.



Asking people to obey our immigration laws, learn our language and not use our social services is a perfectly rational action not some sort of offense against human rights. Every country (including most latino nations) makes those sort of demands on foreign nationals.

My relatives came here legally at the invitation of the American government. They were examined closely for contagious diseases knowing they would have been sent home no questions asked and no appeal possible. They were fleeing pograms which were periodic murderous lynchings against people who shared their religion. They learned English. They sure as hell did not expect Americans to learn Yiddish or provide them with $300 a month for food just because they gave birth on American soil.

They didn't march down the street waving Austro-Hungarian empire flags. They sure as hell didn't steal anyone's land or kill anyone. They didn't demand that Americans pay their medical bills or provide ESL teachers for their kids or subsidized housing for their elderly relatives.

You know what else they did? They celebrated the 4th of July. They showed pride in this country. They were happy and yes even grateful. They sure as hell did not go around screeching that Americans were horrible racists when the doors were shut in 1924 even though that literally condemned some of my relatives to the true death camps of the holocaust.

If you're going to talk about my relatives (and the relatives of most anti-illegals) at least be accurate.
This is an arbitrary anecdote at best. It doesn't address the historical correlation that the OP has raised, off topic.
 
Old 02-22-2012, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Sale Creek, TN
3,800 posts, read 3,429,050 times
Reputation: 3985
Didn't the Native Americans come from somewhere else? Didn't they, themselves, displace people that were here before them?
 
Old 02-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,060 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Didn't the Native Americans come from somewhere else? Didn't they, themselves, displace people that were here before them?
They did, Americans did...still being done today.
 
Old 02-22-2012, 11:14 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Didn't the Native Americans come from somewhere else? Didn't they, themselves, displace people that were here before them?
Yep, besides the first tribe that came across the land bridge.

Since then, ye who owns it makes the rules.
 
Old 02-22-2012, 11:21 AM
 
5,527 posts, read 8,774,016 times
Reputation: 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Didn't the Native Americans come from somewhere else? Didn't they, themselves, displace people that were here before them?
Came from somewhere else yes. But theories (only thing to go on since the numbers range from them being here 12-20,000 years ago) where that there was either no one here or they didn't know because it was basically 100% wilderness back then.

Thoughts are that they crossed over from Siberia after the Ice Age. It's all theories though as opposed to taught in our schools in order to make sure our kids know how the white man came and took land.
 
Old 02-22-2012, 11:22 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,385,436 times
Reputation: 2345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
This is an arbitrary anecdote at best. It doesn't address the historical correlation that the OP has raised, off topic.
Nonsense. It's accurate description of the lives of the ancestors of most Americans today. Most Americans today are descended from LEGAL immigrants.

The OP states that the US is was founded by illegal immigrants. That's not even remotely true. The founding of the nation was not largely based on the pilgrims. It was based on the Revolutionary War. Most of the signers of the Declaration of Independence and those who fought in the Revolutionary War were natives. In fact, given the heavy Hessian soldier contingent on the side of the Redcoats you could easily argue that most people who fought against the founding of the US were illegals.

Every contemporary nation has borders. Illegals have no right to ignore them, let alone to imply that Americans who want our borders enforced are nothing more than ignorant hypocrites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top