U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2012, 10:53 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I'd rather have a city like Los Angeles than an abandoned Detroit, I think most would agree. If people are leaving a city in droves, new comers, even if they are of a different national origin are welcomed. Some people would disagree, but these are the same nutcases that are complaining about Muslims moving into Detroit.
This forum is about legal immigration of which most of us have no problem with in limited numbers. I am sure by "newcomers" you mean illegal aliens. Sorry, but most of us object to them and rightly so.

 
Old 02-23-2012, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I've met plenty of legal immigrants who don't speak English. The arriving middle of night as proof is ridiculous and makes no sense. I'm sure there are plenty of legal immigrants and citizens who live in crowded homes. Want to try again?
C'mon, surely you can do better than that. We have untold millions of illegal aliens living and working in this country. In fact, their numbers are so huge no one can even begin to give an accurate estimate. So, where are these people living? Is there a special enclave designated for them? If they haven't moved into established neighborhoods, where are they? Are they all living in caves?

Yes, there are legal immigrants who don't speak English. But, the fact remains, MOST illegal aliens do not. Consequently, we are now spending BILLIONS annually on ESL classes for their children, and interpreters for the adults, which is unprecedented. And yes, they do often live 20 to a single-family dwelling. I can't speak for you, but the citizens I know, don't live with 15-20 people. That's not the norm for U.S. citizens. But, it IS the norm for illegal aliens. Nor does the average citizen move into a home at 2:00 in the morning. They generally rent a moving van or hire a company, and move during the day, when they can actually see what they're doing.
 
Old 02-23-2012, 11:13 AM
 
3,502 posts, read 1,733,686 times
Reputation: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If most illegals speak English, why are we now spending BILLIONS annually on ESL classes for their children, and interpreters for the adults? This is unprecedented. And yes, they do often live 20 to a single-family dwelling. I can't speak for you, but the citizens I know, don't live with 15-20 people. That's not the norm for U.S. citizens. But, it IS the norm for illegal aliens. Nor does the average citizen move into a home at 2:00 in the morning. They generally rent a moving van or hire a company, and move during the day, when they can actually see what they're doing.
Strawman. Every example you gave of spotting an illegal immigrant can be said of legal immigrants or citizens, some of them are actually outrageous, moving in the middle of the night means someone is illegal? Illegals don't move in the daytime, are they vampires?? Try again, and try harder please. If you are in a park and see someone, how do you know they are illegal or not?
 
Old 02-23-2012, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Strawman. Every example you gave of spotting an illegal immigrant can be said of legal immigrants or citizens, some of them are actually outrageous, moving in the middle of the night means someone is illegal? Illegals don't move in the daytime, are they vampires?? Try again, and try harder please. If you are in a park and see someone, how do you know they are illegal or not?
Well, I suppose there are no illegal aliens living in this country. They aren't costing us BILLIONS for ESL classes and interpreters. They aren't costing us BILLIONS for WIC, welfare, subsidized housing and food stamps. They aren't giving birth at our hospitals at taxpayers' expense. And, every immigrant living in this country is here with the permission of the U.S. government. In fact, illegal immigration is all just a figment of my racist imagination. Got it.
 
Old 02-23-2012, 11:35 AM
 
3,502 posts, read 1,733,686 times
Reputation: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Well, I suppose there are no illegal aliens living in this country. They aren't costing us BILLIONS for ESL classes and interpreters. They aren't costing us BILLIONS for WIC, welfare, subsidized housing and food stamps. They aren't giving birth at our hospitals at taxpayers' expense. And, every immigrant living in this country is here with the permission of the U.S. government. In fact, illegal immigration is all just a figment of my racist imagination. Got it.
Another strawman. Never denied there was millions of illegals. How do you identify these illegal immigrants, say when you are in a store or in a park?
 
Old 02-23-2012, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Another strawman. How do you identify these illegal immigrants, say when you are in a store or in a park?
How do you identify a citizen? You don't. But, that doesn't change the fact that we have millions of illegal aliens living in this country. Or, are you now suggesting they aren't?

Quote:
From the time of the nationís founding, immigration has been crucial to the United Statesí growth and a periodic source of conflict. In recent decades, the country has experienced another great wave of immigration, the largest since the 1920s. However, for the first time, illegal immigrants outnumbered legal ones.
Hence, I think it's safe to assume a large percentage of Hispanic "immigrants" are indeed illegal aliens.

Immigration - Times Topics - The New York Times
 
Old 02-23-2012, 12:03 PM
 
3,502 posts, read 1,733,686 times
Reputation: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
How do you identify a citizen? You don't. But, that doesn't change the fact that we have millions of illegal aliens living in this country. Or, are you now suggesting they aren't?
I keep on knocking down your strawman and you keep buiding him up. At least we both agree that it's difficult to identify citizens or illegal immigrants.
 
Old 02-23-2012, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I keep on knocking down your strawman and you keep buiding him up. At least we both agree that it's difficult to identify citizens or illegal immigrants.
And, you keep ignoring the facts. But, that's to be expected when one tries to defend the indefensible. In case you don't know, we don't wear buttons indicating our status in this country. But, we DO have untold millions living here in violation of our laws. That's a FACT. Sorry, you can't make that a lie.
 
Old 02-23-2012, 02:09 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I've met plenty of legal immigrants who don't speak English. The arriving middle of night as proof is ridiculous and makes no sense. I'm sure there are plenty of legal immigrants and citizens who live in crowded homes. Want to try again?
Then they are refugees no?
 
Old 02-23-2012, 02:39 PM
 
1,580 posts, read 1,422,083 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
The Civil Rights Movements were about rights denied to people who were law abiding American citizens.

The Illegal Immigrant Movement is about people who are illegally in the country, disregard the laws, protected by government, wanting the same rights as Americans.

Illegals have nothing to justify linking themselves with the Civil Rights Movements.
I couldnot have said it better. Nothing to add, just happy I could rep you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top