U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:52 AM

17,287 posts, read 25,058,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There is absolutely no reason to break up the family, deport the whole family together or allow illegal parents to take their children back with them.

Now if illegals have US born children that prefer the big easy money of the USA over their loved ones, that's different, they make the choice to take the dollars over parents. But that's no reason not to deport.

This.

I'm strongly opposed to illegal immigration.

But, if you are illegal and have an American child ... nothing prevents you from taking your child back to your home country if you get the boot. It's kinda the risk you take by virtue of being illegal and jumping in line ahead of everyone else doing it the right way.

I am first generation on one side of my family, so I am very supportive of LEGAL immigration. Sometimes I try so very hard to be sympathetic to illegals' plight. I also realize that many (not all, including illegal baby mama pregnant with five kids walking behind her sucking up resources) work hard.

But really, there are very few places in the world where people are so desperate that they need to immigrate to the US illegally to literally survive or eat. Those places that ARE so bad like that actually aren't the sources of the vast majority of our illegal immigrants.

Sure, life is "better" here, but life is "better" in other parts of the world than America as well. Doesn't mean I get to pick up and move there without permission and then get upset if I'm asked to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 08:59 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,189,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
He's gone from appealing to religious zealots to appealing to xenophobes, well one would say that both groups overlap.

Santorum tells tea party group he'd be willing to break up illegal immigrant families - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
Appealiing to xenophones? A xenophobe is a fear of strangers. Just who is a stranger to our country? For example we have millions of Hispanic-Americans in our country. We are the most diverse country on earth.

Illegal immigrant families can all go back to their homelands together where they belong therefore they won't be broken up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Honestly, where does Santorum get off (or anyone for that matter) saying that they have the right to break up a family just because they don't agree with them?

How would they like it if some government agency came in and broke their family up? I bet they'd be all up in arms and calling Obama a Nazi or some other hateful words of the sort.

What a bigot.
When an American breaks a law and prison is warrented for his crime, isn't he separated from his family also? Should we stop penalizing all lawbreakers so they aren't broken up from their families? Since when is enforcing any of our laws akin to Nazism or bigotry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Considering the vast majority of illegal immigrants are working very hard for meager pay why would the Republicans want to deport them? Why would anyone want to deport then as they are doing work that nobody else will do for that little, in some cases even for a lot more, money? Illegals are effectively the slave workers that underpin all agricultural and industrial economies. If we did conduct a mass deportation, who would do the work like picking crops and making Astroturf? Would you want to pick apples or tend a huge and dangerous textile mill?

Mr. Santorum does not stand a chance of getting nominated and less of a chance of being elected and he knows this. His pandering to the extreme of the right wing is a means of measuring their response and their value to any future Republican campaigns. If these “Tea partiers” and “White America Firsters” do not deliver enough votes in the primaries and the elections they will be safely ignored as the Republican Party returns to its patrician and big business center.
No, 97% of illegals are not doing jobs that Americans won't do for a fair wage. Stop the lies! 3% of illegals are picking crops. For agriculatural jobs we have unlimited visas for that. So put that argument to rest also!

So the Democrats pandering to the extreme left wing and ethnocentric Hisapnics is ok though? Why the double standard? Here's a hot flash for you. Not all white Americans or non-white Americans are teapartiers so why bring them up? We are all individuals with individual thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
was Sanitarium full of crap when he said this? My main issue with Sanitorium is his hypocritical two faced crocodile tears about keeping families together

"I was blessed to have a mother and a father, I had two parents together who loved me. Unfortunately in America we see the family break down. What we can do as the federal government is to promote the family.. to make sure fathers and mothers are there to take care of their families and be there for their children" -- Rick Sanitorium"
Well then I guess if Santorum wants criminal American parents locked up for committing crimes and they would therefore be separated from their families that would make him a hypocrite in your eyes? Obviously Santorum isn't talking about familes whose parents have broken any laws such as our immigration laws. The difference is that the American lawbreaker doesn't get the option of staying with their family they go jail or prison. Illegals aliens do have that option of returning to their homeland with their families in tow.

What about illegals who leave their families behind to come here and stay for years without seeing them? Yes, hypocricy rules but not on the side of those of us for the rule of law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
It's really no surprise to me that the man is a viper, willing to strike venom into the hearts of any group outside himself, in order to win favor among those he views as able to benefit him. Is he really any different than any other of the Republican candidates?

I have really lost respect for the GOP in the past 20 years. I don't know how it came to be that they've fostered this pool of hatred to feed themselves on and seemingly thrive.

If I were to believe in the Anti-Christ, I would be starting to think it was coming from this group that so strongly holds the "moral" high ground.
Hatred? Is that what you call advocating for the enforcement of our immigration laws?

Last edited by Yac; 02-24-2012 at 02:52 AM.. Reason: 5 (!) posts in a row merged

Old 02-23-2012, 09:25 AM

3,493 posts, read 2,397,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
Honestly, I see the point also, as Icy Tea said. If you're opposed to illegal immigration, and you start making exceptions, then it becomes more and more complicated. I don't know what the answers are. Funny thing is, people think it's just people coming from Mexico. I just met a British guy who came over and stayed in the U.S....started a business, an eventually went back to London to get his green card using his business as the reason. Our immigration policies are very confusing and should be straightened out.
People associate illegals with Mexicans because 60% of illegals are Mexicans. That's just true. They associate illegals with Latinos because 80% are Latino. Again that's just true.

As for the OP I really don't see the outrage. Most illegals are from Guatemala or Mexico. Both of those nations grant citizenship if the parents are native nationals. There's no reason the kids can't go back to the parent's native land. We've actually been incredibly generous by letting them gain American citizenship when their parents have thumbed their noses at our immigration laws. There's no reaon on the planet to let someone skip the immigration lines solely because they had a child here.

This is exactly why the term anchor baby exists.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:29 AM

10,658 posts, read 11,388,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
appealiing to xenophones? A xenophobe is a fear of strangers. Just who is a stranger to our country? For example we have millions of hispanic-americans in our country. We are the most diverse country on earth.

Illegal immigrant families can all go back to their homelands together where they belong therefore they won't be broken up.

brilliant!! Problem solved!!:d

Old 02-23-2012, 11:49 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,857,919 times
Well, it's clear from some of the comments on this thread, the indoctrination is working like a charm. As others have stated, it isn't necessary to separate families, because there is absolutely no law preventing them from returning home as a unit. In fact, it's encouraged. But, many choose to leave their U.S.-born children here, considering they have little value in their homelands. After all, at home, they can't collect WIC or welfare from simply giving birth. And, they damn sure can't exploit their children to live in subsidized housing.
It's funny that so many oppose breaking up families if it means illegals must return home, but there is no outrage over the fact that the average male illegal alien has abandoned his wife and children to come here, and once here, starts a "new" family.

Keep believing the lies. It's truly sad that so many can be so easily duped. This is just one of many strategies the cheap labor industry will use to guilt people into supporting another mass amnesty; which, by the way, will only result in more illegal immigration, and more destruction of our middle class. Why wouldn't foreigners continue to enter our country illegally if they realize they'll eventually be legalized? In fact, why should anyone even bother going through legal channels, when it is clearly more advantageous to simply enter illegally?

And, for those who believe illegals are only doing the jobs Americans won't do, have you not noticed the drastic change in the demographics employed by most construction companies? Don't tell me those are jobs only illegals want. At the same time, the wages for those construction jobs continue to decline. But, that's another bit of propaganda from the cheap labor industry that you're buying hook, line, and sinker. Perhaps when YOUR job joins the growing list of jobs "Americans won't do" you'll realize you've been had. I hope feeling good about illegal immigration, and not being one of those mean-spirited anti-illegals, will be well worth the sacrifice.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:07 PM

3,502 posts, read 1,747,974 times
You can't be for keeping famlies together when it suits your needs,. Either you are for it or you are not. If you believe famlies are imporant, then that belief should transcend boundaries or nationalities. I'm not offended by Santorum's statements about his willingness to break up families, I'm offended by his statements that keeping families together is of utmost importance. It's his hypocrisy that gets to me.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:32 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,857,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
You can't be for keeping famlies together when it suits your needs,. Either you are for it or you are not. If you believe famlies are imporant, then that belief should transcend boundaries or nationalities. I'm not offended by Santorum's statements about his willingness to break up families, I'm offended by his statements that keeping families together is of utmost importance. It's his hypocrisy that gets to me.
Again, where is your outrage at the prevalence of illegals abandoning their families to seek a better life in the USA, never to return? Do you think it's okay, for them to leave children in their homelands, and then bring more children into the world here?

As others have already stated, the separation of families is an unfortunate consequence of unlawful behavior. In fact, millions of citizen men and women are currently incarcerated, and many will never rejoin their families. Should we make exceptions for them? Should we pass a new law exempting anyone from being incarcerated if they have a spouse or children? Should we exempt those serving in our military from overseas deployment if they have a spouse or children? After all, I am sure they would prefer remaining with their families. Or, should only illegal aliens have the right to keep their families intact?

For the umpteenth time, the entire family can return to their homeland. THEY choose not to. So, blame them.

Last edited by Benicar; 02-23-2012 at 01:51 PM..

Old 02-23-2012, 02:24 PM

2,477 posts, read 1,719,222 times
Quote:
How is keeping families together showing hypocrisy? Persons being deported have the opportunity to take their children with them, many choose not to, hence why we have over 5000 illegal alien children born in the USA in foster care when their parents get deported. Wouldn't it be better to keep those children with their parents? Or is it that you believe that those children are US Citizens and should not be deported with their parents and that their parents should therefor be allowed to stay due to their children being "anchor babies"? Nothing like mixing the context of 2 different discussions to fit an agenda!

Old 02-23-2012, 02:41 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,189,169 times
Quote:
1. There is no need for their families to be kept apart. It is the illegals decison whether they want that or not. They can return to their homelands with their entire family. 2. Santorum isn't talking about lawbreakers. Lawbreakers by their own actions can be seperated from their families and they should be. He is referring to normal families that haven't broken any laws. It has nothing to do with suiting someone's needs it is about what our laws state. Nothing trumps our laws! 3. Families that haven't broken any laws should have no fear of being separated. There is no hypocricy on Santorum's part unless you think family members should be above our laws. In that case why aren't you screaming about Americans who are separated from their families by incarceration for their crimes? You're the one being hypocritical here. Are you going to answer those questions or are you just going to rant on?

Old 02-23-2012, 03:19 PM

32,997 posts, read 30,260,840 times
When Americans go to jail it breaks up families too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or