Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 08:15 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,086,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
This move of reminding of the the 1930s politics in Los Angeles, when it was corrupt in that era. The city's politics today are a joke.
It's just like Dallas. Corrupt, corrupt, corrupt, and dominated by racial politics. In the 60s-80s and into the 90s it seemed to be black vs white, but now it seems to be Hispanics vs everyone else, as they are now the largest cohort in the city as blacks flee to the suburbs.

And if you think the city government is bad, you ought to see the school district!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 09:24 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,554,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
We meed to start by getting rid of every dem who is running this State, out they go, and don't let them back in.

The Chief is problably on the Mayor's payroll!

I do still love my State, however in saying this, when will the idiots running it, take a hike.
This crap does **** me the hell off. Yes i write letters and i email, and i make phone calls, think they listen!
Sorry , But when are people going to "WAKE UP" ! , It does not make any differance wheather DEM. or REP. are in office we as American citizens are screwed. . Does the term Barefoot and pregnant , or even better Quote " a homeless and pennyless citizen can offer no resistence". Our government officials have no concerns for our wellbeing.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:33 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,818,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
Ok first read and comment on my post in this forum on "Hit and run drivers". Second the Chief is a political pawn who apparently is cowering to the Mayor Viaconquistador.
The southern half of this state is in the toilet. I see signs that people are finally getting fed up but probably too little too late.
It's NOT too late IMHO. As it is: trying to cross the Calif/Mexican border illegally is very risky today and it's getting that same way here in Arizona and and so on. I've got a feeling it MAY be outside of the law when most illegal aliens already here will be run off and the rest will be scared.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:45 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,264,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
IF the LAPD chief wanted to play: he could REQUIRE his cops to check immigration status of EVERYONE they stop and if there's probable cause, take them in and let ICE deal with them. No driver's license in the computer if stopped: take them in.

There's gonna be a showdown real soon cause people are getting madder and madder especially if Calif goes into the toilet moneywise.
What is the LAPD chief thinking? Giving DL to illegals will only attract more illegals to their city.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:54 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,491,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I think this illustrates well the difference between pragmatic (the chief) and idealistic (those on this forum) thinking.

Pragmatic thinking seeks to bring about the most beneficial solution for a community, even if "ideals" are sometimes violated. The chief's stated purpose is not to aid illegal immigrants, but to reduce the ills of unlicensed driving. One could theoretically hold this opinion even if they were staunchly opposed to illegal immigration: it's a "lesser evil" to have drivers at least licensed and insured, even if they shouldn't be here in the first place, than to have them lack both and insurance rates rise, police work become more difficult, etc. as a result.

However, for the idealistic thinker, none of this matters. Even if there is nothing the police chief himself could do to ebb the flow of illegal immigrants into his city and stop them from bringing their cars or buying them, the city should NOT grant illegals licenses, because they are plainly breaking the law by their very presence.

The same pragmatist vs. idealist dichotomy plays out in other debates: whether prostitution should be legalized and regulated or not, whether "harm reduction" clinics should be set up to deal with drug addicts, etc.
A few salient points you seem to miss: A driver's license does not change their immigration status, which means they generally will not remain at the scene of an accident for risk of being deported, even if it involves a fatality. In addition, they routinely use aliases and phony addresses on driver's license applications, making their apprehension virtually impossible when they do leave the scene. Furthermore, once they're issued a license, insurance no longer serves a purpose, so they'll allow their coverage to lapse.

Given the circumstances, please explain how the issuance of a driver's license to illegal aliens is helping protect the residents of California or any other state?

Quote:
SANTA FE, N.M. - Dozens of the same business and residential addresses were used repeatedly by people to obtain driver's licenses in New Mexico in a pattern that suggests fraud by immigrants trying to game the system, an Associated Press investigation has found.

In one instance, 48 foreign nationals claimed to live at a smoke shop in Albuquerque to get a license. In another case, more than a dozen claimed to live at an automotive repair shop over a one-year period.
Illegal immigrants can get driver's licenses easily in NM - The Prescott Daily Courier - Prescott, Arizona

Old 02-25-2012, 06:55 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,515,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Surpise, surprise. LA is one of the most illegal alien infested sanctuary cities in this country. The corruption and pandering is astounding.

LAPD chief backs driver's licenses for illegal immigrants - latimes.com
Perhaps, just perhaps, it would help the members of law enforcement to call these people what they truly are, instead of playing word games.

They are illegal entrants. Do the law enforcement people fawn over those who break into others homes, offices or cars?

What is the difference? They broke the law and it is law enforcements sworn duty to bring them to justice. Not the justice they want to see or feel warm and fuzzy about, but the justice of the letter of the law.

Just a thought.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:51 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,860,122 times
One of the fundamental problems with issuing licenses to illegals is that a driver's license is one form of widely used documentation used to prove citizenship. Allowing illegals access to one makes it that much harder to identify and deport them. That's the last thing we want.

The argument that people are going to drive anyway is like arguing that you should stop enforcing any and all laws as people are just going to break them. The fact that so many illegals drive without one is just another reason to send them home. It's an illustration of their fundamental lack of character. Far too many seem to believe that ALL our laws are optional. People who think like that are hardly the sort of people we want here at all, let alone the sort we want to give permission to skip our immigration lines.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:15 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,376,388 times
Right...

I see both sides of the argument here, but I am only in favour of no. 1:

1) I agree that illegal immigrants should be deported, unless it is proven that they run the risk of persexution.

2) I don't agree with giving ANY illegal immigrant a driving license, but maybe this is being done as a mean of reducing the number of uninsured drivers, which I know is a huge problem in California, although I really cannot envisage illegals who are already driving without a license or insurance to suddenly decide to buy car insurance just because they can now get a license. Perhaps he thinks that they will be easier to keep track of by being in the system and will have an address on record?

Waste of time and waste of DMV (or whatever the Californian equivalent is) time and I don't honestly see what this will achieve, other than making it easier for illegal immigrants.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:11 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,554,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Right...

I see both sides of the argument here, but I am only in favour of no. 1:

1) I agree that illegal immigrants should be deported, unless it is proven that they run the risk of persexution.

2) I don't agree with giving ANY illegal immigrant a driving license, but maybe this is being done as a mean of reducing the number of uninsured drivers, which I know is a huge problem in California, although I really cannot envisage illegals who are already driving without a license or insurance to suddenly decide to buy car insurance just because they can now get a license. Perhaps he thinks that they will be easier to keep track of by being in the system and will have an address on record?

Waste of time and waste of DMV (or whatever the Californian equivalent is) time and I don't honestly see what this will achieve, other than making it easier for illegal immigrants.
These types of of changes are done for only one real reason , IT will generate "LOTs Of MONEY" for the DMV and in return money for the State. Another poster was correct in stating our roads will not be any safer, these illegal drivers will not be anymore responsiable. To make the roads a little safer they only need to enforce the laws on the books now and the laws they swore an oath to uphold when the all took Office .

Old 02-28-2012, 07:33 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,458,542 times
Ok it is official if the City Council (haha) does not over turn it. The Chief got his way and will stop doing 30 day impounds on illegal, unlicensed drivers as long as they have proof of insurance and a valid ID. LA is not only the center of the toilet bowl it has become the sewage treatment plant where all the sh-t goes.
Just another reason I am sooooooooo glad I am retired from law enforcement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration