U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2012, 08:16 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,166,436 times
Reputation: 2130

Advertisements

Surpise, surprise. LA is one of the most illegal alien infested sanctuary cities in this country. The corruption and pandering is astounding.

LAPD chief backs driver's licenses for illegal immigrants - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2012, 03:02 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,908 posts, read 30,162,897 times
Reputation: 17734
Illegals buying car insurance??? Now THATS funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 04:43 PM
 
14,457 posts, read 7,485,213 times
Reputation: 8155
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Surpise, surprise. LA is one of the most illegal alien infested sanctuary cities in this country. The corruption and pandering is astounding.

LAPD chief backs driver's licenses for illegal immigrants - latimes.com
While their at it get em a 6 pack and a pound. No suprise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 10:08 PM
 
Location: Full time RV"er
2,403 posts, read 5,631,941 times
Reputation: 1459
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Surpise, surprise. LA is one of the most illegal alien infested sanctuary cities in this country. The corruption and pandering is astounding.

LAPD chief backs driver's licenses for illegal immigrants - latimes.com
The real issue here in not the fact that he wants to give them the "right" to a drivers license but that he , the Chief is in doing this violating all of you constitutional rights along with violating his oath of office he took. So I say ok give them a license and then give the chief the door. Along with that he also is discrinating against al of us LEGAL American citizens by inpounding our cars for violating one of their codes.
Everyone need to check out California Vehicle codes 17459 & 17460. Is states first that we consent to them taking us to court for violating one of their "CODES". Funny, when I was in California I don't remember seeing anything on any of the forms informing me of that ! So now isn't that a violation of the "FEDERAL FULL DISCLOSURE LAWS ". I would have to guess that although they take the Oath of Office ,like lots of thing with them it doesn't matter or mean anything. Don't do as I do ,but do as I say ! The only right's we have left is Our "left" hand and" left" foot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 12:23 AM
 
Location: Armsanta Sorad
5,660 posts, read 6,595,803 times
Reputation: 2429
This move of reminding of the the 1930s politics in Los Angeles, when it was corrupt in that era. The city's politics today are a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Duluth, Minnesota, USA
7,653 posts, read 14,796,749 times
Reputation: 6644
I think this illustrates well the difference between pragmatic (the chief) and idealistic (those on this forum) thinking.

Pragmatic thinking seeks to bring about the most beneficial solution for a community, even if "ideals" are sometimes violated. The chief's stated purpose is not to aid illegal immigrants, but to reduce the ills of unlicensed driving. One could theoretically hold this opinion even if they were staunchly opposed to illegal immigration: it's a "lesser evil" to have drivers at least licensed and insured, even if they shouldn't be here in the first place, than to have them lack both and insurance rates rise, police work become more difficult, etc. as a result.

However, for the idealistic thinker, none of this matters. Even if there is nothing the police chief himself could do to ebb the flow of illegal immigrants into his city and stop them from bringing their cars or buying them, the city should NOT grant illegals licenses, because they are plainly breaking the law by their very presence.

The same pragmatist vs. idealist dichotomy plays out in other debates: whether prostitution should be legalized and regulated or not, whether "harm reduction" clinics should be set up to deal with drug addicts, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 06:48 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,330,336 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I think this illustrates well the difference between pragmatic (the chief) and idealistic (those on this forum) thinking.

Pragmatic thinking seeks to bring about the most beneficial solution for a community, even if "ideals" are sometimes violated. The chief's stated purpose is not to aid illegal immigrants, but to reduce the ills of unlicensed driving. One could theoretically hold this opinion even if they were staunchly opposed to illegal immigration: it's a "lesser evil" to have drivers at least licensed and insured, even if they shouldn't be here in the first place, than to have them lack both and insurance rates rise, police work become more difficult, etc. as a result.

However, for the idealistic thinker, none of this matters. Even if there is nothing the police chief himself could do to ebb the flow of illegal immigrants into his city and stop them from bringing their cars or buying them, the city should NOT grant illegals licenses, because they are plainly breaking the law by their very presence.

The same pragmatist vs. idealist dichotomy plays out in other debates: whether prostitution should be legalized and regulated or not, whether "harm reduction" clinics should be set up to deal with drug addicts, etc.
IF the LAPD chief wanted to play: he could REQUIRE his cops to check immigration status of EVERYONE they stop and if there's probable cause, take them in and let ICE deal with them. No driver's license in the computer if stopped: take them in.

There's gonna be a showdown real soon cause people are getting madder and madder especially if Calif goes into the toilet moneywise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2012, 02:14 AM
 
Location: so cal
1,110 posts, read 1,855,015 times
Reputation: 1021
Ok first read and comment on my post in this forum on "Hit and run drivers". Second the Chief is a political pawn who apparently is cowering to the Mayor Viaconquistador.
The southern half of this state is in the toilet. I see signs that people are finally getting fed up but probably too little too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2012, 02:55 AM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,899 posts, read 15,324,090 times
Reputation: 6451
We meed to start by getting rid of every dem who is running this State, out they go, and don't let them back in.

The Chief is problably on the Mayor's payroll!

I do still love my State, however in saying this, when will the idiots running it, take a hike.
This crap does **** me the hell off. Yes i write letters and i email, and i make phone calls, think they listen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2012, 03:41 AM
 
Location: so cal
1,110 posts, read 1,855,015 times
Reputation: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
We meed to start by getting rid of every dem who is running this State, out they go, and don't let them back in.

The Chief is problably on the Mayor's payroll!

I do still love my State, however in saying this, when will the idiots running it, take a hike.
This crap does **** me the hell off. Yes i write letters and i email, and i make phone calls, think they listen!


H-ll no! They won't listen to anyone who is not contributing major $$$ to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top