Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 10:06 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,309,224 times

Advertisements

So exactly how did the illegals take over North Bergen, West New York, and Hackensack

OK maybe lots of them are NOT ILLEGAL but that is not the point

The cost of living here is so high, and these people work very very low paying jobs. So how do they eventually take over all that nice real estate?

Normal people move away, because of the cost of living, but more and more poor immigrants with even less money have taken over several towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 11:28 AM

5 posts, read 15,553 times
I don't live in the area (though I once rented briefly in Hackensack), but my guess would be: packing more than one family into a house and instead of having two incomes, they would have 4-5.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:46 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,562,024 times
Add in Fairview, Union City, Jersey City, and part of Cliffside Park too.

Anderson Avenue in Fairview has become not such a safe place for one "not like them" to be walking on starting in the evening and throughout the night - Crime has increased there exponentially.

Many of them are "cramping" apartments and any housing here.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:16 PM

79 posts, read 497,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
So exactly how did the illegals take over North Bergen, West New York, and Hackensack

OK maybe lots of them are NOT ILLEGAL but that is not the point

The cost of living here is so high, and these people work very very low paying jobs. So how do they eventually take over all that nice real estate?

Normal people move away, because of the cost of living, but more and more poor immigrants with even less money have taken over several towns.
You are just assuming that these immigrants work for low low payinh jobs. Not all immigrants are poor or low class. And explain to me what is " Normal People"? Why can't an immgrant come to this country and work just like any other person to live high class......It can be possible. Some of these immgrants are well educated.
You are just stereotyping.
I know first hand that someone can come to this country and live high class.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrown29 View Post
You are just assuming that these immigrants work for low low payinh jobs. Not all immigrants are poor or low class. And explain to me what is " Normal People"? Why can't an immgrant come to this country and work just like any other person to live high class......It can be possible. Some of these immgrants are well educated.
Gee, I also know a lot of Hispanics that came here and are very successful too.

I am not referring to those people OK.

Yeh there are lots of Fortune 500 Corp. latino CEO's living it up in North Bergen.

Lets not be naive

Most if not all ARE NOT dirt poor, but they do have lower incomes compared to say some native Jerseyans who have moved away because of the high cost of living.

But anyways I am just curious as to how these immigrants can just take over certain neighborhoods. Real Estate is not cheap.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:17 PM

99 posts, read 197,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrown29 View Post
First let's understand and agree upon (if possible) what 'immigration' means. Immigration is an orderly and legal process by which one enters a country not of his origin, and accordingly, learns its language and conforms to the laws of that country and assimilates himself into its culture. This is what immigration has meant to America for hundreds of years.

The current and recent wave of illegal aliens are not immigrants. They have resulted in the closure and bankruptcy of many hospitals and clinics from Texas, across Arizona through half of California. They can enroll in college at lower tuition than can my own children, they pay nothing for emergency healthcare or routine healthcare in an emergency room, they pay no taxes and they occupy 38% of the jail space in California.

How many of them are crammed into an apartment is the least of our problem, although symptomatic.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Add in Fairview, Union City, Jersey City, and part of Cliffside Park too.

Anderson Avenue in Fairview has become not such a safe place for one "not like them" to be walking on starting in the evening and throughout the night - Crime has increased there exponentially.

Many of them are "cramping" apartments and any housing here.
How come the landlords do not care

Old 09-01-2007, 01:22 PM

I do not want this to turn into in immigration debate

I just want to know how one ethnic enclave turns into another.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:42 PM

5 posts, read 15,553 times
Also, can we please make sure to note there is a massive difference between immigrants and ILLEGAL immigrants.

Of course landlords can do something. But they're cashing checks ... why would they care? If you really care about the issue - and the value of your home - you should take action locally and try to get the borough in question to enact laws that prevent multiple families from living in the same house.

Or, you could always just report illegals to the police and see what happens.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:44 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,475,825 times
thank God for Don, and landlords, easyto answer you own a complete dump the borsch belt camps are better, a real dumpy place, slum lord rents it for greed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration