U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2012, 02:45 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130

Advertisements

President Obama fought back against the growing belief among Latinos that he broke his campaign promise on immigration reform and said he would get it done in a second term, during an interview with Univision Radio that aired Wednesday.

The president, looking to renew enthusiasm for his campaign among Latino voters, appeared on the Los Angeles-based “Piolin Por La Mañana” Show on Univision Radio hosted by Eddie “Piolin” Sotelo, arguably the most influential Spanish-language radio personality in the country.

He reassured Latinos that he is committed to passing a comprehensive immigration reform plan, blaming the lack of progress on what he describes as an intransigent Congress and a Republican Party that has adopted extreme views on the issue.

http://univisionnews.tumblr.com/post...gration-reform

Well, President Obama if you couldn't get it passed in your first term what makes you think you can get it passed in your second term if you are re-elected? The opposition in congress has not changed their minds and are not likely to. In fact the Republicans just might get control of the Senate also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2012, 02:51 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
More from this interview: "But the fact of the matter is that, I think a lot of members of Congress, even during election time, aren’t paying attention to the Latino community and unfortunately that, I think that there is a politics that we have been seeing that is so focused on a negative attitude towards immigration. We see it at the state level in Arizona, in Alabama, and other of these states where people have been scoring political points, taking the harshest anti-immigrant stand. That’s not the kind of politics that I believe in and I know that’s not the kind of politics the Latino community is going to respond to".

I see, so wanting our immigration laws enforced and not rewarding those who violate them is harsh, anti-"immigrant" and not paying attention to the Latino community? Could the ethnocentricism possibly come through more clearly here? Negative attitudes towards "immigration"? What a bald-faced lie! This isn't about immigration per se but those in our country illegally. Will the spin ever stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Obama's pandering is truly nauseating. He knows damn well most citizens do not oppose "immigrants." However, we do oppose the presence of millions of illegal aliens, draining our taxes, and committing crimes with absolute impunity. We have every right to be outraged.

Sadly, he doesn't realize they only voted for him in the last election because he promised passage of CIR and the DREAM Act for millions of their illegal brethren. And, they will vote for him again as long as he promises the same. Otherwise, he would NEVER get their votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 05:57 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,278,864 times
Reputation: 5895
IF Obama was smart: he'd throw the PRO illegal Hispanic vote under the bus to save his base with American Blacks cause they're much more likely to vote and have a higher number of age 18 and older members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 07:15 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Obama's pandering is truly nauseating. He knows damn well most citizens do not oppose "immigrants." However, we do oppose the presence of millions of illegal aliens, draining our taxes, and committing crimes with absolute impunity. We have every right to be outraged.

Sadly, he doesn't realize they only voted for him in the last election because he promised passage of CIR and the DREAM Act for millions of their illegal brethren. And, they will vote for him again as long as he promises the same. Otherwise, he would NEVER get their votes.
Note how Obama accused the Republicans of having "extreme" views on illegal immigration when all they want is our immigration laws enforced. Imagine that! The president of our country thinks it is extreme to enforce our own laws.

What is odd is that these advocates are willing to believe him once more when the same obstacles as in the past will still be there in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 11:46 PM
 
3,046 posts, read 2,644,609 times
Reputation: 1303
I get a kick out of seeing you guys whine when Obama has actually done more to fight illegal immigration in his one term than Bush did in two. That was with a Republican House and Senate for 6/8 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 02:04 AM
 
Location: Too far from home.
8,743 posts, read 5,549,980 times
Reputation: 2360
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
More from this interview: "But the fact of the matter is that, I think a lot of members of Congress, even during election time, aren’t paying attention to the Latino community and unfortunately that, I think that there is a politics that we have been seeing that is so focused on a negative attitude towards immigration. We see it at the state level in Arizona, in Alabama, and other of these states where people have been scoring political points, taking the harshest anti-immigrant stand. That’s not the kind of politics that I believe in and I know that’s not the kind of politics the Latino community is going to respond to".

I see, so wanting our immigration laws enforced and not rewarding those who violate them is harsh, anti-"immigrant" and not paying attention to the Latino community? Could the ethnocentricism possibly come through more clearly here? Negative attitudes towards "immigration"? What a bald-faced lie! This isn't about immigration per se but those in our country illegally. Will the spin ever stop?
As of a few days ago, as a result of a crossword puzzle, I think that the word "illegal" is now considered offensive and politically incorrect. Keep in mind he wants all the votes he can get so "anti-immigrant" is his catch phrase for both illegals and legals. As seen much too often, people can't differentiate between anti-illegal immigration and anti-immigration.

I don't remember him pandering for the Hispanic vote when he was campaigning for president. Maybe he thinks he needs all the votes he can get to replace those that he has lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 06:30 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I get a kick out of seeing you guys whine when Obama has actually done more to fight illegal immigration in his one term than Bush did in two. That was with a Republican House and Senate for 6/8 years.
I don't recall any of us saying that Obama has done nothing on illegal immigration but anything he has done has been nullified by what he has done to encourage it. For example, he gave 300,000 deportees back door amnesty and ordered Homeland Security to not deport anyone who has not been "convicted" of a serious crime. Also, he is going to eliminate most of the national guard at our southern border. He also encourages it by continuing to to promise CIR and the Dream Act while he is in office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I get a kick out of seeing you guys whine when Obama has actually done more to fight illegal immigration in his one term than Bush did in two. That was with a Republican House and Senate for 6/8 years.
You honestly believe he has fought illegal immigration. Then, you clearly haven't been paying attention to this issue. Everything he's done is mere window dressing in preparation for amnesty. If anything, he has exacerbated the problem. Had he seriously fought illegal immigration, there would have been a mass exodus of illegals from this country. And, no company would dare to knowingly and willfully employ illegals, because they too would realize, unlike previous presidents, Obama means business. But, as usual, the status quo thrives.

Furthermore, he would not have instituted policy after policy in favor of illegal aliens, which has essentially resulted in de facto amnesty. Nor would he label opponents of illegal immigration demagogues, xenophobes, and radicals. His pro-illegal policies have emboldened most illegals. Now, more than ever, they have no fear of coming out of the shadows. They now boldly acknowledge their unlawful status, even appearing on CNN, MSNBC, and other media outlets, knowing, unless they have a felony conviction, they're off-limits. In fact, it's now considered a badge of honor to be "undocumented" in this country. To ensure their peace of mind, he recently appointed an illegal alien czar to advocate on their behalf, to guarantee their kid glove treatment.

He has overwhelming support from the Hispanic community, and he's revered by most illegals. Does that sound like someone who's "fighting" illegal immigration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 10:28 AM
 
29,988 posts, read 35,848,534 times
Reputation: 12719
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
.......Well, President Obama if you couldn't get it passed in your first term what makes you think you can get it passed in your second term if you are re-elected? The opposition in congress has not changed their minds and are not likely to. In fact the Republicans just might get control of the Senate also.
Obama has more excuses than a rabid dog has fleas.

Apparently Obama thought bullying through Obamacare was more important than immigration reform via legislation when the Democrats controlled Congress.

Ultimately Obama does not seek legislative immigration reform, just bypassing our immigration laws altogether by selective enforcement and hispandering to special interest groups advocating for illegals (La Raza et al.) via Executive Orders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top