U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-23-2012, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028

Advertisements

Quote:
Federal prosecutors are seeking all property and assets of Hugo and Blanca Diaz, who pleaded guilty in federal court last week in exchange for prosecutors dropping most of the charges on an indictment from November that accuses them of harboring illegal immigrants and employing them in their Evans-based construction businesses.

Assistant U.S. Attorney David Stewart said a very significant part of the couple's punishment is the government seizure of their property, including a $1.7 million home on Grace Avenue in Evans and nine vehicles with an estimated value topping $150,000.
U.S. Attorney's Office seeks 'largest immigration forfeiture in the country' in case of Evans construction business | The Augusta Chronicle

In my opinion, they should seize their assets AND throw them in prison for at least 10 years. There's no telling how much money they have stashed away in Mexican banks to use to start another business. Until they start seriously punishing these employers, illegal immigration will continue as strong as ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2012, 06:09 PM
 
3,204 posts, read 2,383,305 times
Reputation: 1544
Pretty interesting that their main punishment was seizing their assets. No reports on those working there illegally. And the businesses that were owed money will have to sue the govt to get paid. Maybe this is the new way government makes money to pay off the debt LOL???

I still have to wonder what these few companies that get caught do to pi$$ someone off because there are so many others that they turn and look the other way. Aren't the laws supposed to be enforced equally against us all?

In thinking about it I almost think if it were me I would sue the govt and ask why people in sactuary cities are protected from this and wouldn't have their assets seized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 06:19 PM
 
14,199 posts, read 7,402,658 times
Reputation: 8016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
U.S. Attorney's Office seeks 'largest immigration forfeiture in the country' in case of Evans construction business | The Augusta Chronicle

In my opinion, they should seize their assets AND throw them in prison for at least 10 years. There's no telling how much money they have stashed away in Mexican banks to use to start another business. Until they start seriously punishing these employers, illegal immigration will continue as strong as ever.
Agreed, perhaps giving the assets to the border patrol. People are making a lot of money using willing 3rd world illegal alien slaves and it is most unfortunately unfair to law abiding citizens. Whats it gonna take another civil war? At least we see some progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 06:22 PM
 
14,199 posts, read 7,402,658 times
Reputation: 8016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Pretty interesting that their main punishment was seizing their assets. No reports on those working there illegally. And the businesses that were owed money will have to sue the govt to get paid. Maybe this is the new way government makes money to pay off the debt LOL???

I still have to wonder what these few companies that get caught do to pi$$ someone off because there are so many others that they turn and look the other way. Aren't the laws supposed to be enforced equally against us all?

In thinking about it I almost think if it were me I would sue the govt and ask why people in sactuary cities are protected from this and wouldn't have their assets seized.
Exactly what I was thinking, they mustnt have greased the right people or pissed someone off. Of course you would have to hire a large percentage of the population to battle this now since there are so many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Pretty interesting that their main punishment was seizing their assets. No reports on those working there illegally. And the businesses that were owed money will have to sue the govt to get paid. Maybe this is the new way government makes money to pay off the debt LOL???

I still have to wonder what these few companies that get caught do to pi$$ someone off because there are so many others that they turn and look the other way. Aren't the laws supposed to be enforced equally against us all?

In thinking about it I almost think if it were me I would sue the govt and ask why people in sactuary cities are protected from this and wouldn't have their assets seized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Exactly what I was thinking, they mustnt have greased the right people or pissed someone off. Of course you would have to hire a large percentage of the population to battle this now since there are so many.
My exact thoughts. I believe the only employers they target are those who either didn't pay their "dues" or are only being used to illustrate the "progress" that's being made. It's funny how the majority of illegal employers manage to avoid detection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 07:54 PM
 
3,204 posts, read 2,383,305 times
Reputation: 1544
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they were caught. I just wonder what happened to equal justice for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top