Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 04:44 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Living in Dallas I can tell you that the illegals around here make no effort whatsoever to assimilate. It's disgusting.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:45 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Even welfare office workers have to speak to them in Spanish and on the Mexican radio stations, food stamps and WIC are advertised to them in their language.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:33 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Even welfare office workers have to speak to them in Spanish and on the Mexican radio stations, food stamps and WIC are advertised to them in their language.
That's sick. ANY sort of gov't assistance outside of "911" type stuff or info about diseases needs to be in English only. Legal aliens who don't speak English know people who do.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:03 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Living in Dallas I can tell you that the illegals around here make no effort whatsoever to assimilate. It's disgusting.
Are we talking 1st generation immigrants here?
What about the illegals children, do they assimilate better? (I think so being in English only schools)
Do you think by 3rd generation they would be fully assimilated?

Quote:
  1. Language Attainment is defined as the ability to speak English and the loss of the individual's mother tongue. The three-generation model of language assimilation states that the first generation makes some progress in language assimilation but remains dominant in their native tongue, the second generation is bilingual, and the third-generation speaks only English.[1]

Old 03-08-2012, 07:12 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Are we talking 1st generation immigrants here?
What about the illegals children, do they assimilate better? (I think so being in English only schools)
Do you think by 3rd generation they would be fully assimilated?
No matter where I go I hear Hispanics speaking strictly in Spanish regardless of their age. I don't know if they are legal or illegal or what generation they are but the above fact still remains. I find it hard to believe with the magnitude of it that they are all 1st generation "immigrants".

Old 03-09-2012, 08:31 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,178,825 times
Quote:
The Asian and Hispanic wave is happening right now. US culture is constantly evolving by nature.
Never before have we catered to one particular group though, like we do now. When is the last time you were asked to press 1 for Polish, German, Italian, or even now one of the Asian languages? It's true culture evolves, but it shouldn't be overtaken, especially by illegal aliens.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:02 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
Never before have we catered to one particular group though, like we do now. When is the last time you were asked to press 1 for Polish, German, Italian, or even now one of the Asian languages? It's true culture evolves, but it shouldn't be overtaken, especially by illegal aliens.
You're right and our culture wouldn't be changing significantly if not for illegal immigration from mostly south of our border. The pro side acts like this is a natural occurance and that we should just lay down and accept it.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:39 AM

11,251 posts, read 11,025,570 times
Quote:
The Asian and Hispanic wave is happening right now. US culture is constantly evolving by nature.
Being someone who has spent close to 70% of their life in Los Angeles, I can attest to the fact that the only place you will see billboards written in Chinese are in Chinatown. Spanish, on the other hand, occupies roughly 1 in 6 billboards in the greater L.A. area.

Something tells me Denver sees a similar trend considering the high mexican population there. Don't confuse the two waves. One is based on peaceful assimilation while the other is charachterized by wanton criminal behavior and disrespect for the U.S.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:31 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,364 times
Quote:
Threads like these are the epitome of paradoxal thinking.

US culture is built upon many waves of immigration, constantly evolving....therefore immigrants are the culture, so new immigrants must assimilate to what exactly?

See: melting pot.
Those legal immigrants that you are referring to assimilated and learned English. The illegal aliens that remain from that era that did not, are still in hiding and not publicly speaking their foreign language.

The problem today is that the majority wave of spanish speakers are illegal aliens who are being pandered to in spanish. The majority are ignorant, uneducated, do not have the ability to learn much, have no skills and are here for the sole purpose of birthing as many children as they can and living off the taxpayers.

That does not equal a melting pot, it's more like an over flowing dumpster.

Last edited by PurpleRain_1; 03-09-2012 at 03:41 PM..

Old 03-09-2012, 04:05 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
Those legal immigrants that you are referring to assimilated and learned English. The illegal aliens that remain from that era that did not, are still in hiding and not publicly speaking their foreign language.

The problem today is that the majority wave of spanish speakers are illegal aliens who are being pandered to in spanish. The majority are ignorant, uneducated, do not have the ability to learn much, have no skills and are here for the sole purpose of birthing as many children as they can and living off the taxpayers.

That does not equal a melting pot, it's more like an over flowing dumpster.
Hate speech...all of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration