U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 05:12 PM

9,068 posts, read 15,505,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Being someone who has spent close to 70% of their life in Los Angeles, I can attest to the fact that the only place you will see billboards written in Chinese are in Chinatown. Spanish, on the other hand, occupies roughly 1 in 6 billboards in the greater L.A. area.

Something tells me Denver sees a similar trend considering the high mexican population there. Don't confuse the two waves. One is based on peaceful assimilation while the other is charachterized by wanton criminal behavior and disrespect for the U.S.
Your opinion and anecdote. Mine: I spent 50% of my life in Long Beach and Orange County and have seen places like Irvine, Costa Mesa and Santa Ana with plenty of Asian billboards. There are many Mexicans in SoCal who are respectful and have assimilated. 1 = 1

Old 03-09-2012, 05:26 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,840,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Your opinion and anecdote. Mine: I spent 50% of my life in Long Beach and Orange County and have seen places like Irvine, Costa Mesa and Santa Ana with plenty of Asian billboards. There are many Mexicans in SoCal who are respectful and have assimilated. 1 = 1
I can't speak for California, but the DC area has had a diverse demographic for as long as I have lived here. But, prior to the illegal alien invasion, I NEVER saw signage in any language but English other than in ethnic enclaves such as Chinatown. Nor did I EVER have to press 1 for English.

Why has every other immigrant group managed to function without being accommodated in their native language? Why are we spending billions annually to provide illegal alien children with ESL classes, and their parents with interpreters? Most people who are actually attempting to learn a language practice as much as possible. Yet, I rarely ever hear Hispanics speaking English. And, this was not true in the past.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:11 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,427,076 times
Quote:
Hate speech...all of it.
Reality hurts but it doesn't change the fact that it is what it is. There is nothing hateful about the truth.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:12 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,427,076 times
Quote:
But what about the millions of have nots, many who have been here illegally for a decade or more? What excuse do they have?

Old 03-09-2012, 06:44 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,342,384 times
Quote:
Hate speech...all of it.
There's a LOT of truth to it; hate speech or no hate speech. Look at it: it's NOT Mexico's best people who come here illegal; it's their hillbillies for want of a better word who come here. Hell; Mexico DON'T want them in Mexico.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:45 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,172,244 times
Quote:
Hate speech...all of it.
Truth is hate speech?

Old 03-09-2012, 06:53 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,342,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Truth is hate speech?
To someone who may have "skin in the game".

Old 03-09-2012, 07:25 PM

6,519 posts, read 7,586,096 times
Quote:
I spent 50% of my life in Long Beach and Orange County and have seen places like Irvine, Costa Mesa and Santa Ana with plenty of Asian billboards.
They may be billboards that promote Asian "interests", but they are not written in Chinese or Japanese, ect. And if there is foreign writing, there is an english explanation along with it.

Are you really trying to tell me you don't see the differences between Asian and Mexican "assimilation" or are you just being willfully ignorant?

Old 03-09-2012, 07:31 PM

6,519 posts, read 7,586,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Why has every other immigrant group managed to function without being accommodated in their native language?
A question for the ages.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:39 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,334,734 times
So much of what so many of you said is so sad but also so true.

I was upset the other day when in a department store. The couple in question with about 6 kids, were of course hispanic. Gets me to my point now.

They had the nerve to ask the salesclerk to get someone hispanic for them to deal with. I know this sales clerk and is not the type to be bullied around by anyone.
They insisted she get someone hispanic to speak to them, or they would not talk to any other person. People behind me were starting to get pissed off.

A manager of that department which was the home department came, and told the couple so sorry but there was no one in the store at this time that spoke spanish. Oh my friggin gosh, the couple became irate, the husband throwing up his arms,, cussing under his breath, everyone should know spanish, how come no on in the store did, and that the store has a right to hire people who speak spanish. And mind you to accomodate the explosion of hispanics in this Country, there was actually a mexican women behind me, who was getting pissed off at them to, she told me, can you believe this crap.

So what was just said really struck a cord with me, and at the same time, why do we bend backwards for a people who are so un appreciative.

I guess i am of a different up bringing, if i were one of those people, i would respect and pride myself on living in this Country so generous, and learn the english language. But i am not one of them, and never would do something like that.
Not going to lie, that day i was fed up.

They spoke little english broken, and honestly looked like they just got off a boat or something.
I did not apprecciate the way the husband had a fit, it did disturb me. And their 6 kids were running rampant in the store, the sales clerk was having fits. I felt sorry for her, the way she was being yelled at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or