U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 11:14 AM

19,899 posts, read 15,291,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
If I was that store's manager, I'd have invited them to take their business elsewhere.
I think the store manager handled it the best way, she could at the time, because there were other people in line besides myself. Big sale that day.
I do not think she wanted to cause a scene, because the husband, did not seem like a very nice guy.
She politely told him, i'm sorry at this time, we have no one working on duty who speaks spanish, perhaps you want to come back at a different time, This is when the explosion happened.
Now i am italian, with temper, and was starting to give dirty looks at the husaband, my fault, no one scares me, that is my problem. It just angered me, with what so many of you said, because it is like, we are expected to bend backwards and forwards for these people.
It is not just the hispanic part, anyone who would of acted in this way, would of gotten on my nerve and i believe everyone behind me.
I just cannot understand the demands put upon us and some of these people seem not to appreciate.People need to just stop with the excuses already, old tired and wornout! ok

Not where i live, i do live in a elite area, but sorry i love it here by the beach. But for our business, we do get around. I'm sorry but if true what so many of you say, how come there are hispanics who have lived here for 20 years, and hardly speak english. Why, don't they want to mix and mingle. I can tell you from our clients, so many of them, sorry but stick to their own kind, truth this is what i observe, don't like it take it up with them.
We get along with them, but it is so hard to understand them, and they like us, but let me tell you, they do not like all white people and we can see this clearly.
Sorry not true, they want to fit in because honestly and sincerely not all of them do. Infact if they do, why do they go on and on about their Mother Country!

Last edited by california-jewel; 03-12-2012 at 11:26 AM..

Old 03-12-2012, 11:21 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Not a law, but ok they normally do by the 3rd generation just like many of the waves before (Italians, Germans).
Learning to speak English is one thing but choosing not to speak it unless they absolutely have to is quite another. That is the non-assimilation part.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Did I say you should be grateful? (that's just argumentative on your part)

90% of Black Americans support Obama. Is that racist or that they align with the culture? I think the latter.
Blacks aligning themselves with a president who shares the same race (those voters and the president are here legally) is quite different than an ethnic group of citizens aligning themselves with like ethnic group here illegally. Bad analogy.

But then again, I am opposed to racial identity politics anyway. I don't vote for someone just because they are white like me and I certainly wouldn't align myself with whites here illegally either.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Evidence illegal immigrant speaking SOME English (attempting):
News, video, CNN: Life of an Illegal Immigrant in the US

I have never heard illegals saying you should learn their language... do you have proof or an example?
I don't know if they are legal or illegal but I have many times heard Hispanics say we should learn Spanish. It has been spouted in here many times also.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
What is your obsession with race? Why do you continue to play the race card, when clearly race/ethnicity is not a factor? Yes, I am totally outraged that my taxes are being squandered on millions of people who shouldn't be here. And, I wouldn't give a damn if the people were polka dot. You may not consider BILLIONS of dollars significant. But, I certainly do.
If there are any racial/ethnic prejudices against Hispanics as a whole it is because they are the defenders of illegal aliens based on like ethnicity and use all kinds of nasty words to describe those of us who only want our immigration laws respected and enforced. What do they expect? When are they going to stand up for the rule of law and put the national interests first? Granted they all don't think that way but a good portion of them do and there are many polls and advocacy groups that support that. We can't help the facts. They are what they are.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:44 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,465,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Do you or do you not think that illegals who want to be part of this country should have to demonstrate fluency in English first? I don't want to hear the grandmother argument. America was different at the turn of last century. Today we need to attract skilled, educated people who are speak English and believe in the rule of law to help compete internationally. Most illegals are not skilled, not educated and do not speak fluent English. Why the hell should we let them skip the immigration lines let alone welcome them for having done so?
Your position is based on a flawed concept of "skilled" versus unskilled labor. You can have skilled farm laborers who are particularly adept at hand-picking crops, and this is particularly true if they have already done the same thing in their own countries, which many farm laborers have - that's why they end up on farms despite having an enormous language barrier. That's a "skill", just like computer programming. It's just that one pays a lot more and gives you an indoor, climate-controlled office and the other doesn't.

Moreover, there's a reason why you don't want to confine immigration to your limited definition of "skilled" labor. If you only permit immigration to those who are "skilled" on the high end, you end up with a high-end labor pool that is extremely competitive and perhaps even sees wages go down domestically, while on the other hand, you'd have a critical labor shortage of the so-called "unskilled" labor. You need labor supply/demand equilibrium at all stages.

I don't disagree that we admit a high number of legal immigrants and that illegal immigration puts stress on civic infrastructure in local communities. I disagree with the response (not all of it but much of it). I think that rather than getting hysterical and turning this into a hate fest toward Hispanics, we need to think of creative ways we can get more illegals to pay into the system or encourage them to leave voluntarily. I am all for - 100 percent for - the programs like e-verify and I believe in stiff punishments for employers that don't comply. But at the same time, we need to chill out and find ways to improve and make use of immigrants period, whether they're legal or not. In an ideal world, we'd have a way to catch illegal immigrants but catching them need not mean automatic deportation. There are some illegal immigrants we want to keep; others we want to discard.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:29 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I don't disagree that we admit a high number of legal immigrants and that illegal immigration puts stress on civic infrastructure in local communities. I disagree with the response (not all of it but much of it). I think that rather than getting hysterical and turning this into a hate fest toward Hispanics, we need to think of creative ways we can get more illegals to pay into the system or encourage them to leave voluntarily. I am all for - 100 percent for - the programs like e-verify and I believe in stiff punishments for employers that don't comply. But at the same time, we need to chill out and find ways to improve and make use of immigrants period, whether they're legal or not. In an ideal world, we'd have a way to catch illegal immigrants but catching them need not mean automatic deportation. There are some illegal immigrants we want to keep; others we want to discard.
Please quote the "hate-fest" posts targeting Hispanics.

No, we do not need to "chill out." That's the problem with this country. We have become much too complacent by even allowing this invasion to progress to this unbearable level. Nor do we need to finds ways to improve or utilize illegal labor. If they are here illegally, they should be forced to leave. This can be accomplished through the strict enforcement of our laws, serious fines and imprisonment for illegal employers (including homeowners), and denying illegals ALL benefits. If illegals couldn't exploit their children to avail themselves of billions of OUR tax funds, we would see a drastic decline in the number of illegals living in this country.

Unlike you, I don't consider one illegal better than another or more worthy of legalization. If they were law-abiding, they would not be here in violation of our laws. We have enough lawless citizens. We certainly don't need more.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:39 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,385,999 times
Quote:
Your position is based on a flawed concept of "skilled" versus unskilled labor. You can have skilled farm laborers who are particularly adept at hand-picking crops, and this is particularly true if they have already done the same thing in their own countries, which many farm laborers have - that's why they end up on farms despite having an enormous language barrier. That's a "skill", just like computer programming. It's just that one pays a lot more and gives you an indoor, climate-controlled office and the other doesn't.
Farm laborers have absolutely nothing to do with this debate. They make up only 3% of all illegals. Farmers can easily apply for visas that allow for temporary labor.

The notion that a high school drop out from Mexico and someone like myself with a master's degree is are merely the same person with equal value in the workforce is laughable. I'm sorry you think otherwise. Luckily my clients do not.

Quote:
Moreover, there's a reason why you don't want to confine immigration to your limited definition of "skilled" labor. If you only permit immigration to those who are "skilled" on the high end, you end up with a high-end labor pool that is extremely competitive and perhaps even sees wages go down domestically, while on the other hand, you'd have a critical labor shortage of the so-called "unskilled" labor. You need labor supply/demand equilibrium at all stages.
We need people who can help grow the economy not Mexican and Guatemalan nationals who only serve to take tax dollars and bring down wages.

Quote:
I don't disagree that we admit a high number of legal immigrants and that illegal immigration puts stress on civic infrastructure in local communities. I disagree with the response (not all of it but much of it). I think that rather than getting hysterical and turning this into a hate fest toward Hispanics,
So you agree that illegals impose huge costs on many communities but your primary response is to accuse those who want to help end such costs of hysterical overreaction and ethnic bigotry?

Quote:
we need to think of creative ways we can get more illegals to pay into the system or encourage them to leave voluntarily. I am all for - 100 percent for - the programs like e-verify and I believe in stiff punishments for employers that don't comply. But at the same time, we need to chill out and find ways to improve and make use of immigrants period, whether they're legal or not. In an ideal world, we'd have a way to catch illegal immigrants but catching them need not mean automatic deportation. There are some illegal immigrants we want to keep; others we want to discard.
We need to do everything we can to discourage low skilled illegals from coming here. Many Hispanics needs to stop demanding that if they have a cousin he gets to skip our immigration lines, refuse to learn English and use our welfare systems. You can't constantly play identity politics and then whine that others who don't share your identity refuse to support you on the basis of your ethnicity. We've let in millions of hispanic nationals legally. Why the hell should we let in every single Mexican who wants to come here in the middle of a recession and without any skills?

Why shouldn't breaking our laws mean automatic deportation? What gives anyone on the planet the inherent right to break our laws? Let alone demand the right be rewarded if they do?

Apply legally or don't bother. Sneak in and you will be thrown out. That's the best and ultimately the only real way to protect our borders, our own impoverished people and our middle class tax base. Ordinary Americans should not be punished economically or otherwise to serve the needs of greedy employers and lazy foreign nationals who believe American laws don't apply to them.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Farm laborers have absolutely nothing to do with this debate. They make up only 3% of all illegals. Farmers can easily apply for visas that allow for temporary labor.

The notion that a high school drop out from Mexico and someone like myself with a master's degree is are merely the same person with equal value in the workforce is laughable. I'm sorry you think otherwise. Luckily my clients do not.

We need people who can help grow the economy not Mexican and Guatemalan nationals who only serve to take tax dollars and bring down wages.

So you agree that illegals impose huge costs on many communities but your primary response is to accuse those who want to help end such costs of hysterical overreaction and ethnic bigotry?

We need to do everything we can to discourage low skilled illegals from coming here. Many Hispanics needs to stop demanding that if they have a cousin he gets to skip our immigration lines, refuse to learn English and use our welfare systems. You can't constantly play identity politics and then whine that others who don't share your identity refuse to support you on the basis of your ethnicity. We've let in millions of hispanic nationals legally. Why the hell should we let in every single Mexican who wants to come here in the middle of a recession and without any skills?

Why shouldn't breaking our laws mean automatic deportation? What gives anyone on the planet the inherent right to break our laws? Let alone demand the right be rewarded if they do?

Apply legally or don't bother. Sneak in and you will be thrown out. That's the best and ultimately the only real way to protect our borders, our own impoverished people and our middle class tax base. Ordinary Americans should not be punished economically or otherwise to serve the needs of greedy employers and lazy foreign nationals who believe American laws don't apply to them.
You're right on all counts, Eleanora. We have no shortage of unskilled or skilled workers in this country either. It is just that the employees want labor at the cheapest cost possible but they have no right to violate our labor laws in regards to foreign workers to achieve that goal.

The fact that it is mostly Mexicans and other Latinos here by far in the largest numbers illegally and pointing that out does not make this a Hispanic hate fest. Another fact is that many Hispanic citizens are advocates for them based on ethnic ties. Is it also a hate fest to point that out? Since when are facts....hate?

Old 03-12-2012, 06:05 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Quote:

It's time to close down our border to see if you're opinion is right. Let Mexico scream. There are lots of Americans who ARE willing to work although you may think I'm full of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or