Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 08:00 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,463,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
They may be billboards that promote Asian "interests", but they are not written in Chinese or Japanese, ect. And if there is foreign writing, there is an english explanation along with it.

Are you really trying to tell me you don't see the differences between Asian and Mexican "assimilation" or are you just being willfully ignorant?
It was never my point to illustrate the differences, I just said they were both happening.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:36 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,657,815 times
Sounds like the Muslims when they move to European countries. Multiculturalism doesnt work

Old 03-10-2012, 12:29 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,186,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
So much of what so many of you said is so sad but also so true.

I was upset the other day when in a department store. The couple in question with about 6 kids, were of course hispanic. Gets me to my point now.

They had the nerve to ask the salesclerk to get someone hispanic for them to deal with. I know this sales clerk and is not the type to be bullied around by anyone.
They insisted she get someone hispanic to speak to them, or they would not talk to any other person. People behind me were starting to get pissed off.

A manager of that department which was the home department came, and told the couple so sorry but there was no one in the store at this time that spoke spanish. Oh my friggin gosh, the couple became irate, the husband throwing up his arms,, cussing under his breath, everyone should know spanish, how come no on in the store did, and that the store has a right to hire people who speak spanish. And mind you to accomodate the explosion of hispanics in this Country, there was actually a mexican women behind me, who was getting pissed off at them to, she told me, can you believe this crap.

So what was just said really struck a cord with me, and at the same time, why do we bend backwards for a people who are so un appreciative.

I guess i am of a different up bringing, if i were one of those people, i would respect and pride myself on living in this Country so generous, and learn the english language. But i am not one of them, and never would do something like that.
Not going to lie, that day i was fed up.

They spoke little english broken, and honestly looked like they just got off a boat or something.
I did not apprecciate the way the husband had a fit, it did disturb me. And their 6 kids were running rampant in the store, the sales clerk was having fits. I felt sorry for her, the way she was being yelled at.
If I was that store's manager, I'd have invited them to take their business elsewhere.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:32 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,253,323 times
that is bek they have not moved into the trades, they are the trades.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:20 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,524,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
So much of what so many of you said is so sad but also so true.

I was upset the other day when in a department store. The couple in question with about 6 kids, were of course hispanic. Gets me to my point now.

They had the nerve to ask the salesclerk to get someone hispanic for them to deal with. I know this sales clerk and is not the type to be bullied around by anyone.
They insisted she get someone hispanic to speak to them, or they would not talk to any other person. People behind me were starting to get pissed off.

A manager of that department which was the home department came, and told the couple so sorry but there was no one in the store at this time that spoke spanish. Oh my friggin gosh, the couple became irate, the husband throwing up his arms,, cussing under his breath, everyone should know spanish, how come no on in the store did, and that the store has a right to hire people who speak spanish. And mind you to accomodate the explosion of hispanics in this Country, there was actually a mexican women behind me, who was getting pissed off at them to, she told me, can you believe this crap.

So what was just said really struck a cord with me, and at the same time, why do we bend backwards for a people who are so un appreciative.

I guess i am of a different up bringing, if i were one of those people, i would respect and pride myself on living in this Country so generous, and learn the english language. But i am not one of them, and never would do something like that.
Not going to lie, that day i was fed up.

They spoke little english broken, and honestly looked like they just got off a boat or something.
I did not apprecciate the way the husband had a fit, it did disturb me. And their 6 kids were running rampant in the store, the sales clerk was having fits. I felt sorry for her, the way she was being yelled at.
I also have an example of their entitlement mindset. My cousin asked me to buy her a few cheap nightgowns while she was in the hospital, so I went to Kmart. It was a few days before Christmas and the lines were long. A Hispanic couple and their kids were in line in front of me. Although they spoke nothing but Spanish among themselves, I knew the man understood English, because when his daughter dropped her toy on my foot he apologized to me in English.

Anyway, two Hispanic guys approached the couple, and in Spanish asked if they would pretend they were together (since they were all hispanic) to avoid having to get at the end of the line. Of course they assumed I didn't understand what they were saying. The couple looked at each other as though they were trying to decide what to do. But, before they had a chance to respond, I said in English, "Oh, hell no! They'll have to get in the back of the line just like everyone else." You should have seen the shocked looks. Then the guy told them (in Spanish) he was sorry, but he couldn't help them. I then saw them scanning the other lines, I assume, looking for other Hispanics. The lady standing behind me was cracking up, and gave me a high five. They definitely don't believe the rules should apply to them. They need to learn in this country you get in line after the last person. You certainly shouldn't expect people to let you cut in line simply because they share your ethnicity or race. Talk about nerve.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:52 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,318,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The melting pot means immigrants adding ingredients to the stew without altering it's basic components. Regardless of the waves of immigration long ago one of the basic components that came out of the melting pot was making English our national language. We don't have "waves" of immigration today. We have already established a dominant language and culture.
There is no existing national language - never has been. There have always been waves of immigrants coming over with their funny languages and it has taken them a while to learn how to assimilate in the larger U.S. culture. In the mean time, they set up little Italy, little Warsaw, Chinatown, and so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The only "waves" we are having today is via illegal immigration from mostly one ethnic group. That makes assimilation to our language and culture rather difficult because as the article stated instead of pockets of them in different areas many cities and states are being flooded with them. Colonization is happening rather than assimilation.
That is just factually not true and it shows how appallingly little you know about the subject of immigration, despite your best efforts. We have now the largest wave of immigration - legal immigration - in our nation's history, at least in terms of the sheer numbers. "Colonization"...I think this pretty much reveals all that is necessary to know about opponents of illegal immigration. It's paranoia, plain and simple. A fear of the U.S. without a white majority.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
There is no existing national language - never has been. There have always been waves of immigrants coming over with their funny languages and it has taken them a while to learn how to assimilate in the larger U.S. culture. In the mean time, they set up little Italy, little Warsaw, Chinatown, and so forth.

That is just factually not true and it shows how appallingly little you know about the subject of immigration, despite your best efforts. We have now the largest wave of immigration - legal immigration - in our nation's history, at least in terms of the sheer numbers. "Colonization"...I think this pretty much reveals all that is necessary to know about opponents of illegal immigration. It's paranoia, plain and simple. A fear of the U.S. without a white majority.
We've got 4 states now where Whites are the minority.
Are they getting minority status and AA opened to them ?

Texas is one of them. And Texas gets bashed alot because we have the poorest counties in the US with the most below poverty families who have an average of 5th grade literacy skills and little respect for education.

There's a whole 'nother side to immigration than "but they are hard workers". Yes they work hard and line up every Sunday to send most of that money "back home" via Western Union.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:57 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,524,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
We have now the largest wave of immigration - legal immigration - in our nation's history, at least in terms of the sheer numbers. "Colonization"...I think this pretty much reveals all that is necessary to know about opponents of illegal immigration. It's paranoia, plain and simple. A fear of the U.S. without a white majority.
Yes, it's the largest wave. But, it certainly isn't due to LEGAL immigration.

Please note the following articles are not from Fox News.

Quote:
In recent decades, the country has experienced another great wave of immigration, the largest since the 1920s. However, for the first time, illegal immigrants outnumbered legal ones.
Immigration - Times Topics - The New York Times

Quote:
More immigrants came to the United States illegally from 2000 through 2004 than the number who were granted legal status in those years

Pew demographer Jeffrey S. Passel said he believes this was the first time in the nation's history that new illegal arrivals outnumbered new legal immigrants. "The presence of the undocumented makes a big difference," he said.
Report Details Growth in Illegal Migration

Opposition to this unprecedented wave of illegal aliens is hardly paranoia. It's a real threat, not only to U.S. workers, but also our national security. We have no idea how many are here, who they are, or what their intentions may be. In addition, they are fleecing U.S. taxpayers to the tune of billions annually, while they send billions home monthly. How anyone can condone such absolute abuse is totally beyond my realm of comprehension.

I am so incredibly sick of the race card being pulled to justify and defend illegal immigration. For the umpteenth time, it is not racist to oppose illegal immigration. In fact, most anti-illegals don't give a damn about the race or ethnicity of illegals. I certainly don't. There are hardcore racists opposing everything from the price of gas to our involvement in the Middle East. Does that mean anyone who shares their view on those issues is also a racist? C'mon, stop this foolishness. It's beyond tiresome.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:28 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,289,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We've got 4 states now where Whites are the minority.
Are they getting minority status and AA opened to them ?

Texas is one of them. And Texas gets bashed alot because we have the poorest counties in the US with the most below poverty families who have an average of 5th grade literacy skills and little respect for education.

There's a whole 'nother side to immigration than "but they are hard workers". Yes they work hard and line up every Sunday to send most of that money "back home" via Western Union.
I had to laugh at the one you are responding to. English has been our national de facto language since its founding. It may not be "official" but it is what it is and recognized as such. Ethnic "business" neighborhoods are one thing but an ethnic group here illegally taking over entire towns is quite another.

So I guess for the citizenry of this country which have always been predominantly white along with our identifying language and culture are deemed hateful to want to retain that and not lose it via illegal immigration? I wonder if this person thinks that Mexicans in Mexico would welcome a takeover of millions of Chinese entering their country illegally and thereby changing their demographics, culture and language? Of course they wouldn't and rightly so! Sames goes for every other country in the world that has an established identity. Don't ya just love the hypocricy of these people?

Last edited by chicagonut; 03-10-2012 at 02:44 PM..

Old 03-10-2012, 02:49 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,318,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Yes, it's the largest wave. But, it certainly isn't due to LEGAL immigration.

Please note the following articles are not from Fox News.

Immigration - Times Topics - The New York Times

Report Details Growth in Illegal Migration

Opposition to this unprecedented wave of illegal aliens is hardly paranoia. It's a real threat, not only to U.S. workers, but also our national security. We have no idea how many are here, who they are, or what their intentions may be. In addition, they are fleecing U.S. taxpayers to the tune of billions annually, while they send billions home monthly. How anyone can condone such absolute abuse is totally beyond my realm of comprehension.

I am so incredibly sick of the race card being pulled to justify and defend illegal immigration. For the umpteenth time, it is not racist to oppose illegal immigration. In fact, most anti-illegals don't give a damn about the race or ethnicity of illegals. I certainly don't. There are hardcore racists opposing everything from the price of gas to our involvement in the Middle East. Does that mean anyone who shares their view on those issues is also a racist? C'mon, stop this foolishness. It's beyond tiresome.
Illegal immigration is largely down or at least stable over the past five to ten years. There were years when the number of illegals were as great and may have eclipsed legal immigration but that was also due to deteriorating security in Mexico and an economy that could take them in here. The economic situation here leaves less of an incentive for them to come. That doesn't mean that they don't still try- they do by the hundreds of thousands even now. But it's not as easy as it once was.

Even so, legal immigration still takes in about 800,000 to 1 million every year. It's the largest wave of immigration seen in decades. That's a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.