U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-07-2012, 08:26 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130

Advertisements

"In the news recently was the illegal immigration laws of Georgia being challenged in the courts".

"Having lived in Texas for the past 20 years and in downtown Houston for the past 10 (and now in Fayette County), let me tell you about the affects of illegal immigration and why Georgians should all be following the law’s progress through the courts".

I suggest everyone read the entire article. It is really enlightening.

Immigrants making no effort to assimilate into U.S. culture | The Citizen

 
Old 03-07-2012, 04:26 PM
 
Location: so cal
1,110 posts, read 1,846,844 times
Reputation: 1021
They make no effort because we the people make it so easy for them to live here as they are. Press one for english, two for espanol. All the store signs and advertising in both English and Spanish. And so on............
 
Old 03-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Reputation: 5288
Threads like these are the epitome of paradoxal thinking.

US culture is built upon many waves of immigration, constantly evolving....therefore immigrants are the culture, so new immigrants must assimilate to what exactly?

See: melting pot.
 
Old 03-07-2012, 04:57 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Threads like these are the epitome of paradoxal thinking.

US culture is built upon many waves of immigration, constantly evolving....therefore immigrants are the culture, so new immigrants must assimilate to what exactly?

See: melting pot.
The melting pot means immigrants adding ingredients to the stew without altering it's basic components. Regardless of the waves of immigration long ago one of the basic components that came out of the melting pot was making English our national language. We don't have "waves" of immigration today. We have already established a dominant language and culture.

The only "waves" we are having today is via illegal immigration from mostly one ethnic group. That makes assimilation to our language and culture rather difficult because as the article stated instead of pockets of them in different areas many cities and states are being flooded with them. Colonization is happening rather than assimilation.
 
Old 03-07-2012, 05:06 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
They make no effort because we the people make it so easy for them to live here as they are. Press one for english, two for espanol. All the store signs and advertising in both English and Spanish. And so on............
You're exactly right. Anything for a buck, right? Most Hispanic citizens know how to speak and read English so there would be no reason to have Spanish advertising for them. Also the illegals move into neighborhoods where both legal and illegal Hispanics live so there is no need for them to learn to communicate in English.
 
Old 03-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The melting pot means immigrants adding ingredients to the stew without altering it's basic components. Regardless of the waves of immigration long ago one of the basic components that came out of the melting pot was making English our national language. We don't have "waves" of immigration today. We have already established a dominant language and culture.

The only "waves" we are having today is via illegal immigration from mostly one ethnic group. That makes assimilation to our language and culture rather difficult because as the article stated instead of pockets of them in different areas many cities and states are being flooded with them. Colonization is happening rather than assimilation.
The Asian and Hispanic wave is happening right now. US culture is constantly evolving by nature.
 
Old 03-07-2012, 05:19 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
The Asian and Hispanic wave is happening right now. US culture is constantly evolving by nature.
As I said, the only "wave" occuring today is mostly vial illegal immigration. Why should our culture get altered and or evolved in that manner? It isn't natural nor is it lawful.
 
Old 03-07-2012, 05:40 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
The Asian and Hispanic wave is happening right now. US culture is constantly evolving by nature.
LEGAL Hispanics, Asians, Irish and so on are almost always fine. It's the ILLEGAL ones who are most of the problem and have this "you owe me" attitude. They can take their tudes and go back home. I don't care if things are worse for them at home.
 
Old 03-07-2012, 06:56 PM
 
14,218 posts, read 7,406,947 times
Reputation: 8022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Threads like these are the epitome of paradoxal thinking.

US culture is built upon many waves of immigration, constantly evolving....therefore immigrants are the culture, so new immigrants must assimilate to what exactly?

See: melting pot.
could we describe the latest ingredient as 'mustard'?
 
Old 03-08-2012, 02:02 AM
 
Location: so cal
1,110 posts, read 1,846,844 times
Reputation: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
could we describe the latest ingredient as 'mustard'?
I would use a different word but do not want to get the ban hammer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top